For those w/ no friends, how do feel about multiplayer games? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

For those w/ no friends, how do you feel about multiplayer games?

For those w/ no friends, how do you feel about coop/multiplayer games? Do you enjoy playing online games on your own with random strangers e.g. Destiny, SW Battlefront, For Honor, The Division, Rainbow Six Siege etc. I personally feel sad and disappointed when they reveal such games which focus on the multiplayer experience rather than creating a single player campaign. I've tried playing online shooters and it just felt pointless and boring to me. I wish I could play these online games too with people I know in real life but having none makes me just completely avoid those games and miss out on all the fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 10:23 PM
SAS Member

I like playing MP games. I also don't use my Mic. Most online games you can do your own thing and your team will still win. My problem is 1 on 1 Co Op games. Now my partner and I have to work together by communicating to figure out how to beat the misson. If it's offline Co Op or only play with online friends Co Op i'm done.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 08:09 AM
SAS Member

Eh...

I've actually never been bothered by this.

I currently have BO3 loaded on my Steam account.

I don't play the campaign but I do play online. The game isn't as fun after the first 200 hours have gone by.

Every single match seems to be biased in some way which just means it's really inconsistent in terms of fair play.

The same can be applied to any other game, I suppose.

Splatoon and Smash for Wii-U are the same. If you get cruddy teammates, you're just going to lose.

It's worse when they don't leave, but even then, you wind up alone.

So, yes, it has its faults, but it's probably the only real time "interaction" that I get.

"The only person who can help you, is yourself"

The Buddha mentioned suffering can be ended by letting go of our desires, longings, frustrations, and greed.

This can either be a lonesome path or a gathered path, but the ultimate decision resides in your favor. It is up to you whether you wish to take the extreme route or low bound route to achieve your enlightenment. The middle path will prove to be tedious and difficult, but know you're not alone.

We're here with you. 本当に。

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 08:13 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Tired
I generally avoid the multiplayer aspect of games which means a lot of games I won't bother with because the multiplayer is most of the experience. Like you, I find myself wishing the single player content was more the focus.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 08:16 AM
Is Lost

My Mood: Pensive
It doesn't really bother me. Plus, a lot of times you can go off on your own.
It is sometimes nerve-wracking when the game is solely based on multiplayer gaming.
Yes, it would be nice to play online with friends, but playing with strangers isn't too bad usually.

"Don't Sweat the Petty Things and Don't Pet the Sweaty Things" - George Carlin
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 08:18 AM
Yellow Alert

My Mood: Worried
Oh yes, I play them all the time but never join clans, and feel uncomfortable teaming up with people I know. I feel much better playing with random strangers. I'm also much more sociable than IRL but this diminishes the more I get to know people. Kinda the same IRL actually, I'm okay in a crowd but small groups ain't for me, let alone pairing with someone.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 10:59 AM
Lived life face.

I feel the same as I always felt about multiplayer games. They should always come with single player campaigns. And SP games should always have some kind of multiplayer or co-op if possible.

And I don't play many games that require player interaction. That's how i deal with online games. I like the pop in and out MP aspect of arpgs like Diablo 2 and Path of Exile. No need to really talk, just team up to kill and loot.

Everything that once was will be again
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 11:08 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Amused
I tend to play a lot on PC these days and I rarely do anything multiplayer, I am more focused on single player campaigns, the problem is not that I am afraid to play against other people on PC, but for some reason any games I play tend to lag really badly on my end so I get booted or I get annoyed because its slow. I have enjoyed multiplayer on Xbox, but the older games I play hardly no one joins and others have hackers that ruin the fun.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 11:52 AM
Not dead yet

Long time ago, multiplayer games used to have dedicated servers. This allowed communities to form with the players that were frequently playing on that server. You would make friends with some of them etc. and being a jerk was against your best interests. I have a couple of close friends that I've met in Jedi Academy more than 10 years ago. We still talk almost every day. I used to have a lot more but they stopped coming online.

Nowadays, every online game puts you in a queue with random strangers that you'll never see again after that match. And you are penalized for leaving the game (if it's ranked or whatever). This encourages toxic behavior such as flaming, especially against your teammates. I'll never play these kind of games; they're completely pointless.

<- blog
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 03:15 PM
Internet Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth View Post
Long time ago, multiplayer games used to have dedicated servers. This allowed communities to form with the players that were frequently playing on that server. You would make friends with some of them etc. and being a jerk was against your best interests. I have a couple of close friends that I've met in Jedi Academy more than 10 years ago. We still talk almost every day. I used to have a lot more but they stopped coming online.

Nowadays, every online game puts you in a queue with random strangers that you'll never see again after that match. And you are penalized for leaving the game (if it's ranked or whatever). This encourages toxic behavior such as flaming, especially against your teammates. I'll never play these kind of games; they're completely pointless.
This is something I really miss as well. Playing online used to be good for me socially, but whenever I try now I just can't find communities like that anymore. Since you've had that experience too, do you have any recommendations for places online that are still a bit like that? : )
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 03:23 PM
Feather

My Mood: Relaxed
When I was younger I used to love playing online, but now I get disappointed whenever I see multiplayer pop up on the screen. Who plays video games to mingle? Video games have always been and always will be anti-social, and that's how I like them,honestly. I play video games to escape reality, I know that's not healthy, but that's just what I do. I don't know why, but I feel a bit anxious whenever someone talks to me in an online game, I feel as if they can see me and it's just really awkward for me, so I hate playing multiplayer games. Although I do enjoy playing co-op with a friend, I'm also generally very bad when playing in a team which I don't know. I play LOTRO, which is an mmorpg, but I rarely ever interact with people, even though that's the whole point, and I try to single play it every time.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 03:38 PM

i can't play single player games, so i only play multiplayer. Single player games are too depressing for me - i remember watching people play the game Portal and i got really depressed. Diablo 2 especially looked very depressing (i know many will disagree). I guess the idea of being alone inside a world is not something that i like, even if there are npcs, because they have programmed responses.
Campaign games are okay when i play them, but after i finish, i get very depressed. i dont know why lol

so i steer clear of single player games and i only play multiplayer.

p.s. RTS games are fine, even if I'm playing alone, because they are not focused on you playing a specific character. you control a base/army or build towers (tower defence) and i guess that doesn't really affect me negatively. can't explain it too well.

today i washed my hands
i want to be alone
i want to fry
----
if it's the thought that counts well count me out
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 04:26 PM
Not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by awayfromhome View Post
This is something I really miss as well. Playing online used to be good for me socially, but whenever I try now I just can't find communities like that anymore. Since you've had that experience too, do you have any recommendations for places online that are still a bit like that? : )
If by places online you mean video games, no. I haven't played an online game in a very long time.

<- blog
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 07:11 PM
Dark Lord of the Cis

My Mood: Cynical
I play almost only SP now.

The only multiplayer I'll play is something old like L4D2 or something indie like Magicka or Alien Swarm (which is top-down L4D2), And only then if someone wants me to play.

"Maybe the world is a big sinking ship. But we can't accept that as an inevitability and use it as an excuse. We have to be the change we seek. We have to build something better for ourselves."
-
The Arbiter, Arby 'n' the Chief
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 11:31 PM
SAS Member

i usually just fly solo, and if the game is like overwatch then i just hang around my people's. It's like playing with AI that's human-like lol

But one game I'm worried I'll miss out on is Sea of Thieves. Looks really fun but needing 4+ friends playing at one time wouldnt be do-able. I play with my brother but it's rare that we both are online at the same time

a
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 05:42 AM
Temporarily Disappeared

My Mood: Tired
Quote:

Oh yes... just because the game is labelled as "Competitive" it just scraps the ol' (but loved by many) server browser, to replace it with (sh***y) matchmaking system and premade games where only "friends" in your list can participate. That really sucks, as a trend...

Life without loving is possible with videogames.

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 11:38 AM
SOS Member

No problem at all playing with random strangers. No need to feel awkward knowing you're playing with someone who knows you personally.

"I read somewhere...how important it is in life not necessarily to be strong...but to feel strong." - Chris McCandless
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 05:21 PM
SAS Member

I don't like playing with strangers, really. I play with a consistent group of ~50 people who drift in and out of a handful of games, mainly as part of an MMO guild. Hearing about what people do in real-life or their plans in the game is one of my favorite things actually, as is having people to actively play with.

Smaller groups are better than bigger ones and MMOs are preferable to MOBAs if you enjoy community, as are games that aren't big e-sports titles. Try games like Heroes of the Storm or Paragon instead of Overwatch or League of Legends. Final Fantasy XIV or Lord of the Rings Online over World of Warcraft.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 05:28 PM
SAS Member

I used to play Halo 3 all the time with mic on, I didn't give a ****. But as with most people my mental issues only became severe around 14 and after 7 years in the hole now socializing over a mic is much more difficult for me than going out and talking to people formally.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 11:03 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Quote:

Some online multiplayer games you can actually make squads so that you can play with people that are close to you. I am not sure of how it is for Xbox or PC but on the Playstation 4, it keeps a list of those that you played with for most multiplayer games for a day or two (depends on how many games/sessions you play) so that you can look up if you find someone that you might have a connection with.

The person that makes me the happiest, is also the same person that make me miserable.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page