Viibryd (Vilazodone) [SSRI] - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Treatment Reviews > Medication > SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors)

Like Tree16 Liked Posts

Old 06-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Viibryd (Vilazodone) [SSRI]

Vilazodone (marketed as Viibryd) is an antidepressant for the treatment of major depressive disorder. Vilazodone acts as a serotonin reuptake inhibitor and 5-HT1A receptor partial agonist.

More info:User ratings/reviews:
Helena_SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Make sure to give us an update 6-8 weeks into the med as usually this is when one feels its full effects
trixee likes this.
Xande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Here's my experience.

For the first week, I felt alright. I think my depression was lower, although I felt like my anxiety was higher, but that I could handle it better.

Week two, I went down the ****ter. I was paranoid, housebound with anxiety, and had what I think were characteristics of depersonalization; I felt like I was an imposter who had stepped in and taken over my own life. I didn't feel like I was the "same person".

I stopped it after week two because things were getting so bad.
Witan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm almost done with the second step-up row now, which means i've been on it for almost two weeks. My depression is mild but anxiety is the main reason for treatment.
So far, it has done absolutely nothing. My doc seemed to like this drug and said it has a high % of working...It has caused very minimal brain fog, and the first couple of days I had some GI problems, but mainly gassy nothing too bad. I can't take it at night like the other drugs I've tried because I wake up a few hrs later and my brain is at 100% full blast. I'm going to keep trying for a couple more weeks, but so far I think I want to try another SNRI and see if I can find one without bad side effects.

So far I've tried Cymbalta, Luvox, and now this...Cymbalta was the best other than the sexual side effects.
Shorty1 likes this.
SpacedOut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by messydesk View Post
So I think I'm into the eighth week or so. I've forgotten, and I'm not taking the 40mg dose so my experience may be a little different from those that do.

Pro's:

-I have had no lethargy
-I haven't had any fogginess
-I'm in a better overall mood
-Though it's still there, my SA has lowered noticeably and I am able to use techniques from psychotherapy much easier to alleviate symptoms.
-The only sexual side effect I've noticed is an increase in libido

Cons
-The medication information says you shouldn't consume alcohol, so I guess that's a con.
-Brain zaps. It happens when I'm right about to fall asleep or I zone out or something. It's like a shock in your brain.
-For the first three days there were some tummy issues.
-There is initial insomnia

That's pretty much it. Overall, I like it. I was on 100mg of zoloft for three years. Zoloft completely erased the SA. The reason I like Viibryd, is because although it hasn't done exactly the same thing, it alleviates the symptoms in a way that makes them easier to cope with and more manageable with behavioral therapy. This is good, because I eventually want to ween myself off of it, and I want those CBT techniques at my disposal when the symptoms come back.
Congrats! It's good when one finds a good med.
trixee and LoveAndPeaceX1111 like this.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Update: I quit taking this due to zero help with the SA. If it weren't for the stomach issues, i would have thought it was a sugar pill. Started on Lexapro and it is EXACTLY what i was looking for. Helped a lot with the anxiety...I just do the things I want to do now without worrying about it and talking myself out of it. It decreased my libido a lot, and I can usually get hard, but it will go away quickly and i just dont care to think about sex much. Doc gave me Wellbutrin to help the sexual side effects, we'll see how that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacedOut3 View Post
I'm almost done with the second step-up row now, which means i've been on it for almost two weeks. My depression is mild but anxiety is the main reason for treatment.
So far, it has done absolutely nothing. My doc seemed to like this drug and said it has a high % of working...It has caused very minimal brain fog, and the first couple of days I had some GI problems, but mainly gassy nothing too bad. I can't take it at night like the other drugs I've tried because I wake up a few hrs later and my brain is at 100% full blast. I'm going to keep trying for a couple more weeks, but so far I think I want to try another SNRI and see if I can find one without bad side effects.

So far I've tried Cymbalta, Luvox, and now this...Cymbalta was the best other than the sexual side effects.
SpacedOut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've just been asked to start taking Viibryd. I am hoping it works like it says and the reviews I read say. I have been on so many antidepressants. I hope to tolerate this one and that it works!! Fingers crossed.
trixee likes this.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becomingfree View Post
I've just been asked to start taking Viibryd. I am hoping it works like it says and the reviews I read say. I have been on so many antidepressants. I hope to tolerate this one and that it works!! Fingers crossed.
Good luck!

What antidepressants & dose have you tried ?
Old 11-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

good with the 10 mg, went up to 20 mg throught the trail period, throught that period i've noticed a difference with my attitude and overall anxiety, when i picked up my bottle they up'ed my dose with 40mg and had the worst night of my life, over panic and stress through the roof, didnt know what was goin on blacked out for about an hour and came too at a store for a couple of min, blacked out again and came to at 4 oclock in the morning and finally calmed down, dont know what happen, goin back to 10 mg till i can come off it, this is my first experience with antidepressents and don't know how to take this
captnredbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

It seems like I have tried them all. I was just on Remeron 45 mg and Abilify 1 mg (?) I've been on the Viibryd 10 mg for about 7 days. I've also been on this week Remeron 30 mg. Next week I will be on Viibryd 20 mg and Remeron 15 mg. I'm really hoping I don't feel like I did yesterday (felt very nervous and scared). I couldn't go to work. It might just be timing but it did scare me. I'll see how the next week goes. I'm better today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xande View Post
Good luck!

What antidepressants & dose have you tried ?
Old 11-29-2011, 07:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default Please Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by messydesk View Post
So I think I'm into the eighth week or so. I've forgotten, and I'm not taking the 40mg dose so my experience may be a little different from those that do.

Pro's:

-I have had no lethargy
-I haven't had any fogginess
-I'm in a better overall mood
-Though it's still there, my SA has lowered noticeably and I am able to use techniques from psychotherapy much easier to alleviate symptoms.
-The only sexual side effect I've noticed is an increase in libido

Cons
-The medication information says you shouldn't consume alcohol, so I guess that's a con.
-Brain zaps. It happens when I'm right about to fall asleep or I zone out or something. It's like a shock in your brain.
-For the first three days there were some tummy issues.
-There is initial insomnia

That's pretty much it. Overall, I like it. I was on 100mg of zoloft for three years. Zoloft completely erased the SA. The reason I like Viibryd, is because although it hasn't done exactly the same thing, it alleviates the symptoms in a way that makes them easier to cope with and more manageable with behavioral therapy. This is good, because I eventually want to ween myself off of it, and I want those CBT techniques at my disposal when the symptoms come back.
Hi Messydesk,
I am quite pleased to see your success on Vibryyd. I too have started taking it and have been on 10mg for a month now. Every time I try to move up in dosage I get insomnia and feel a little spacey. This could be exascerbated by my anxiety which is quite severe. I am not seeing too much benefit at this dose other than a massive increase in limbido. I am currently studying mathematics and will also be starting a masters program soon. I cannot at all picture my taking graduate courses in my current state. We seem to be similar in that I am a type "A" person and if I sit around I feel like I am incessantly lazy and the guilt is feirce. My question to you is whether you experienced that same spaceyness and how long does it take to go away? I really want to move up in dose but.....to be honest....I am frightened by the potential side effects. Also my goal is just like yous in that I only want to take this for 6-9 months or so until I get better and then ween off. Medication is only a temporary fix to give you your strength back in order to learn how to deal with problems that occur. Can you please advise me. Thanks, Eric
Ericb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #12 (permalink)

I'm 16 days into Viibryd. 10mg the first 7. 20mg the next 7. Now I am on the full 40mg. When I upped my dosage to 20mg I became more lethargic; it was very easy to wake up and then fall back asleep in the mornings. Some days I wouldn't get up until noon and that's not normal for me. The worst part was the morning sickness. Weak stomach, some nausea, no appetite. But when I would force myself to eat, this stomach-ache would subside for the rest of the day. Then I'd wake up and it was back to a bad stomach ache and no appetite. I wasn't ill or anything else so it must've been the Viibryd. By day 13 or 14 though, this subsided maybe because my body was becoming used to the Viibryd at that dose. Now day 2 on 40mg and I haven't had any significant nausea yet.

As for mood, it hasn't improved my depression or my SA. In fact, I've been pretty down these past few weeks and I can't help but wonder if the Viibryd made it a tick worse. I'm still sticking with it for another week or so but it's not looking too bright with this medication for me.
Shorty1 likes this.
peytonfarquar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have been taking Viibryd since mid October 2011 for Anxiety. I started on the 10mg and I am now up to 40mg. There was a foggy feeling as I increased my dosage amount, but at this point I don't notice a thing. It has really helped to just chill and think clearly. I don't have a problem hanging out at parties anymore or talking to my kids teacher. The only downside to this medicine is what happens after a missed dosage. If you miss one day it isn't too bad, but if you miss anymore than that then get ready. I had a weird feeling in my head. It was almost like I was a bit dizzy, but it was intense and localized to the top of my head. It would come in waves for a few minutes and then go away for about an hour and come back. So make sure you get your refills before you run out.
Shorty1 likes this.

bpadilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

Location: my feet they finally took root in the earth, but I got me a nice little place in the stars.

I started taking Viibryd about 2 weeks ago. I am switching from a pretty high dose of effexor. My doctor had me taper quite quicky off the effexor (from 300 to 150 for a week to nothing). I read that Viibryd can take effect in as soon as two weeks but so far the jury is out. I will say that the sexual side effect most associated with ssri/snri's (anorgasmia) is not an issue with this med. So, if nothing else, it has that going for it.

Between coming off the effexor, and having only been on this med for two weeks, it is too soon for me to say whether it works.

The other thing that sets this med appart from the other ssri/snri is that it is also a serotonin receptor 5HT1A partial agonist. Although very different drugs, the anti-anxiety drug Buspar and the atypical antipsychotic Abilify also work as 5HT1A receptor partial agonist (although Abilify acts in many other different ways too). SO, in theory, Viibryd offers not only the antidepresent qualities of a ssri, but the anti-anxiety qualities of Buspar.

We shall see.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

Default Viibryd

I took paxil for 8 years straight. Great product except for the sexual side effect it gave me(took a while to ejaculate). Decided to quit cold turkey on the Paxil for the gf as she didn't think I was attracted to her as I couldn't get off without some quality work. Started having anxiety issues when I would get around large crowds or females in a sexual way. So I went to see the doctor and she suggested viibryd 10 mg, which she said was new and expensive. Against my tight budget I thought I would go ahead and try it as I was issues being around people. Day 1 took it everything was fine, took it as I was told with a high protein filled meal around lunch. Day 2 Woke up the next morning feeling very nauseous..finally got out of bed much earlier than I wanted to only to throw up and have diarrhea. Only vommitted that morning but diarrhea stayed around all day. Day 3 woke up early again.. not normal with anxiety feeling in my chest and tingling anxiety feeling in my upper arms. Decently normal stools. Day 4 woke up feeling AWFUL. I felt nauseous, stomach was killing me, dizziness, and mild headaches. Couldn't make it out of the house. Talked to my doctor that afternoon, and both decided to discontinue use of it and go back to paxil. Ill take a little sexual side effect any day over feeling like this viibryd has made me feel. Just wanted to post my story before someone else threw away $125 of their money on this medicine. I have taken several other anxiety medicines none of which made me feel like death like this did. I personally wouldn't recommend Viibryd to anyone!!!
lctaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

Default weanie?

HELP! PLEASE!! I have been taking Viibryd for over tow months now and I am so low! I feel exactly the same as I did before starting. Crying all the time! Shouldn't this be working by now if it was the right medication for me??? It give me horrid heart burn and diarrhea. I have called my doctor and she says keep taking it, that I will start feeling better. I have NO JOY, sleep is a joke, I also take Lorazapam to help with my anxiety. My Pdoc appointment isn't for an other month. I am so despearate. ANY input will be helpful. Thank you!
dobber0716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

yeah thanx
DAM71392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:23 AM   #18 (permalink)

Default Viibryd

Hello Everyone. I am new and this is my first post. My Dr. suggest Viibryd yesterday and at first I was really excited and hoped that Viibryd would be the answer to my prayers. Now, after reading several comments from users on this and other sites, I am a little nervous. I'm wondering if some of the side effects could be result of coming off of the old meds while starting Viibryd. Any thoughts?
ahathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #19 (permalink)

Default Viibryd Newbe

It's Viibryds turn. Immediatly my head started crawling on 1/2 a 10mg pill. The Plan:
5 mg for 2 -4 weeks
10mg for 2 weeks
20mg for 2 weeks
40mg -->

W/ the 5mg my head is swimming & crawling. Queasy too. Have been taking Phenergan regularly which helps a bit. Also take meds for high BP, acid reflux/dyspepsia daily. Have been on Remeron for many years.
Do all SSRIs have weird side effects like this?
snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becomingfree View Post
It seems like I have tried them all. I was just on Remeron 45 mg and Abilify 1 mg (?) I've been on the Viibryd 10 mg for about 7 days. I've also been on this week Remeron 30 mg. Next week I will be on Viibryd 20 mg and Remeron 15 mg. I'm really hoping I don't feel like I did yesterday (felt very nervous and scared). I couldn't go to work. It might just be timing but it did scare me. I'll see how the next week goes. I'm better today.
I've been on Remeraon for years w/ minimal benifit. Tried adding Abilify a few months ago. What A nightmare! Abilify made me supper restless, could not sleep and was a zombie in a few weeks. Terrible stuff for me. I'd rather stick needles in my eyes!
snap is offline   Reply With Quote