Lexapro (escitalopram) [SSRI] - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Treatment Reviews > Medication > SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors)

Like Tree9 Liked Posts

Old 07-02-2010, 07:18 PM   #21 (permalink)

I tried Luvox for maybe a couple weeks and it made me feel like I was in a bit of a daze and just kind of numbed my mind. Most meds are a catch-22--they may offer some good effects, but you end up paying for it with the side effects.
Glacial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #22 (permalink)

worked EXCELLENT for eliminating my depression. i'm not sure if it helped my SA or not, because my doc didn't ever tell me it could possibly help with SA?! - and, since i was also taking adderall, which completely eliminates my SA all on its own, i have no idea if lexapro would've been effective all by itself...

but based on the awesome results i had with it for my depression, i'm betting that it would've helped. however, i'll never get to find out, as i had to stop taking it due to the *severe* skin rash it caused, which i've since learned can indicate that your body is allergic to the drug in other serious ways - doing more harm than good.

btw, i didn't even realize the skin rash was med related for TWO FULL MONTHS - why? because i'm a total moron, obviously....then again, my doctor never told me that skin rash was a somewhat common, potentially serious adverse side effect.
MandyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:21 PM   #23 (permalink)

Been on 10mg for a month just upped it to 20mg. I have found it takes the edge off of my anxiety and has mild side effects for me. I'm still uncomfortable in social situations, but the physical response to anxiety is definitely decreased.

edit: stopped use some months later, not good about taking it, issues with headaches, not bad withdrawal
introvert33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:07 AM   #24 (permalink)

Social Anxiety Background
Social Anxiety, Depression

Other Treatments
Zoloft

Treatment Experience
Lexapro worked great for me. I was on it from 2004 until 2006 then again in 2009 until March of this year. The major side effect for me was weight gain. I went from 155 to 207 during my first run with it from 2004 until 2006. The following year I got back down to 175 and stayed around that weight for several years. Lexapro made me hungry all the time, and I never felt full. It was amazing for me on the Social Anxiety, Depression front. However when I started taking it again in 2009 my weight went from 175 to 203 in 3 months. I am now going to the doctor to look for an alternative. I go to the gym 3-5 days a week so exercise is not the issue, it just made my hunger uncontrollable. That being said if this drug did not cause weight gain for me it would of been the perfect solution for me.
Smith244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #25 (permalink)

I used Lexapro and it was certainly helpful in some way. I noticed the changes were subtle. Probably because I was taking 5mg a day.

As a carbon-based life form, you are entitled to an infinite amount of mistakes in life.

Got a question for me? Click
meepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:30 AM   #26 (permalink)

Same here! Been 4 days on Lexapro 10MG...

Side effects: Headaches, anxiety waves (?) (as if something dreadful has just happened - don't usually get those feelings).

Also, more heightened mood swings (not in a bad way though). If I'm in a good mood, I'll feel a bit more cheerful than usual. And if I feel a bit down, I'll feel a little more down than usual.

Then again, it's been only 4 days - perhaps some of this is placebo, who knows. I'll post again in a week or two.
robtyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #27 (permalink)

I've been on at least 6 anti-depressants since i started taking them when i was probably 11 (depression runs in my moms side of the family). I have been on Concerta, Ritalin, Adderall and others i cant remember now. Was previously up to 150 mg of Luvox and it helped nothing. So i just went back on Lexapro a little over 2 weeks ago. I started on 10 mg for the 2-week build up in my system and Friday i started taking 15 mg.... havent noticed any real change yet, honestly. i really hope im not resistant to anti-depressants because i really need them... :/
CourtneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #28 (permalink)

Of the several anxiety pills my doctor has prescribed me, I think Lexapro has worked the best. I was definitely not where I wanted to be, but I did feel a change. I took the 10mg then went to 20mg, but felt like it started wearing off. Then we switched to something else, and I'm kind of wishing I was on Lexapro.
rockguitarist89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #29 (permalink)

I've been taking 10mg of Lexapro for about two weeks now, and so far I haven't noticed any positive changes. The side effects have been limited to only a couple of instances of nausea in the morning. The doctor just today recommended increasing the dosage to 20mg, so hopefully I'll start to see some improvement soon.
Nemo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:37 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo54 View Post
I've been taking 10mg of Lexapro for about two weeks now, and so far I haven't noticed any positive changes. The side effects have been limited to only a couple of instances of nausea in the morning. The doctor just today recommended increasing the dosage to 20mg, so hopefully I'll start to see some improvement soon.
You should notice within a week or so. I didn't feel anything until around week 3 or 4 and its different for everyone.

I really don't like taking anything, and eventually don't want to. I'm just trying diff stuff and Lexapro was probably the best so far. I hate side effects such as tiredness/dizziness (only gotten it a few times though).
rockguitarist89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #31 (permalink)

I've been on 20 mg of Lexapro for the last seven years. I went from having severe anxiety/panic attacks daily and I am happy to say I very rarely have a panic attack now. Being a little drowsy is the only side effect of the medication. The lexapro seems to help my physical symptoms of anxiety, however it is not a cure. I still suffer from mild to moderate social anxiety and the irrational thoughts that keep me up most nights. I still have anxiety but seem to recover from it better. When I lowered the lexapro dose and eventually stopped completely, I had uncomfortable withdrawal and my physical symptoms of anxiety crept slowly back into my life until it was again unmanageable. So now I am back on it and hope to seek therapy in the future along with the ssri's.
JennyLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:38 PM   #32 (permalink)

I've been on Lexapro for three weeks and for the first days I was very tired and foggy minded. The second week I noticed I could control my anxiety a little more than usual and I was in a lighter mood. Now I don't have any side effects except I noticed I sweat more and It's becoming a problem now I hope it will go away! I'm hoping the Lexapro activity on anxiety is still increasing but it can take more time they say.
MissSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #33 (permalink)

I am on 10 mg of Lexapro for several months now. I think it's much better than Prozac- I am not as anxious.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:25 PM   #34 (permalink)

My boys don't work right when I'm on this. Nature's cruel joke on those with SA. I also get dizzy at random times. I quit this stuff, because I had a dizzy spell while driving a van full of mentally disabled clients. I also ride my bike and motorcycle everywhere. A dizzy spell could cause me a ton of damage. Seems to work ok, mentally.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:39 PM   #35 (permalink)

Lexapro did very little to improve my SA. I used to be on Paxil 60mg for about 2 years and it did a decent job but I weened myself off it for various reasons. I've been off med's for about 2 years and my SA came back hard to the point of social isolation so I went back on a SSRI(Lexapro).

Lexapro had the start up jitters(anxious, tired, feeling crap,ect) like Paxil did for about a couple weeks. The side effects went away but I just didn't feel any better. I am currently on 20mg of Lexapro for about 3 months and it feels no different than 10mg. My SA is the same but I am having big trouble with insomia and somnolence. My sleeping pattern is non-existant as I continue to swap betwen insomia and somnolence on a semi daily basis.
I am thinking of reducing my dosage to see if that helps the sleeping issues then go from there.
tightfaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #36 (permalink)

Lexapro was great for the 7 years I was on it, but it eventually pooped out.

It's especially effective for panic attacks.
Bribarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #37 (permalink)

I've tried a lot of different antidepressants, and Lexapro seems to be the only one that works for me. I really notice a difference if I forget a couple of doses - I'm more depressed and irritable. It doesn't help the social anxiety though, I've given up hope that anything will help that. The doc also has me on Wellbutrin, but the only thing I've noticed with that is maybe a little bit of weight loss.
Tishia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #38 (permalink)

Well that's it for Lexapro.

I went to 20mg, then 30mg, and finally leveled out at 40mg for about 6 weeks, and never saw any change in anxiety or depression.

I start taking Effexor today. Hopefully I'll see some improvements this time.
Nemo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #39 (permalink)

I took Lexapro for about 6months for depression (bc of major events that happened) and anxiety. Worked great for my depression but didnt help with my SA. It made me a little "wired" feeling like I had tons of caffeine, and eventually had almost daily headcahes, also affected libido... Was able to get off it for the depression issues but now still searching for SA remedies.
Mamacita 321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:55 PM   #40 (permalink)

Just recently I was diagnosed with SAD and agoraphobia. Lexapro was the first med my doctor prescribed she gave me 3 months worth of free samples and said it would take awhile to take effect. This med made me tired, hazy, and gave me a daily headache. However I continued taked it for 3 months.
In the end this med did not help me at all: waste of time.
minkoff is offline   Reply With Quote