Do you think we should visit Mars? - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:50 PM
Winter Is Here

My Mood: Drunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8888 View Post
No, the money could be better spent doing something else. Some people are starving, people are homeless, I feel we should be helping then instead of sending some satellite to Mars to find out almost nothing anyway.
The money invested in space exploration is a tiny part of what'd be necessary to "solve" all those problems. Military budget on the other hand...

The only church that illuminates is a burning church.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 09:51 PM
W/ a Gun Against My Head

My Mood: Brooding
Eventually, yes. I think we should try to gather as much info as we can from Mars using rovers before we start sending people.

"Could you do me a favor? Could you kill me?" - Adrian Monk
post #43 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:44 AM
Don't make me stink

My Mood: Relaxed
We should send some people to the sun.

------------

I have seen one one billionth of everything there is to see and it was all the same.

post #44 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:47 AM
Don't make me stink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawk Shady View Post
Eventually, yes. I think we should try to gather as much info as we can from Mars using rovers before we start sending people.
They've been doing the rover thing since I was your age. It was exciting then. They know that people are losing interest in remote controlled cars landing on Mars. Public interest fuels their budget so it's crucial for them to always be doing something new and exciting.

They're not going to order anyone to go. They're going to find people who want to go to Mars. If it's dangerous, it's dangerous. If it ends badly, it ends badly.

------------

I have seen one one billionth of everything there is to see and it was all the same.
post #45 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:59 AM

The Mars One mission that started in 2012 is set to depart in 2024, where 4 people are going on a one way trip to Mars, reaching by 2025. There was even a woman who decided to leave her husband and kids to go to mars, something that is hard for me to understand (maybe she is depressed?)

However, there is a possibility that it is a scam.

today i washed my hands
i want to be alone
i want to fry
----
if it's the thought that counts well count me out
post #46 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:12 AM
Don't make me stink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt moyt View Post
The Mars One mission that started in 2012 is set to depart in 2024, where 4 people are going on a one way trip to Mars, reaching by 2025. There was even a woman who decided to leave her husband and kids to go to mars, something that is hard for me to understand (maybe she is depressed?)
Well, I would think that it's easier to sign up for a one way trip to Mars than it is to actually get on the spacecraft when it comes right down to it.

I don't think they're going to really do it until there's a way to bring them back.

That said, as I understand it, the space radiation is the main thing they haven't figured out. They have said they don't even know if it can be done without lethal radiation exposure eventually. So it comes down to practicality. If they really want to send people to Mars they can probably do it but those people might not come back. But if they do they're probably not going to spend all that much time on the planet. So it's basically going to be a huge effort, a lot of expense and a hell of a long trip for a landing a ceremony and a long trip back.

I kind of doubt anyone is really going to intentionally send people to their death just to say "Hey! We went to Mars!"

------------

post #47 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:14 AM
Hirdman

Such a cute Hollywood fantasy.
post #48 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
Well, I would think that it's easier to sign up for a one way trip to Mars than it is to actually get on the spacecraft when it comes right down to it.

I don't think they're going to really do it until there's a way to bring them back.

That said, as I understand it, the space radiation is the main thing they haven't figured out. They have said they don't even know if it can be done without lethal radiation exposure eventually. So it comes down to practicality. If they really want to send people to Mars they can probably do it but those people might not come back. But if they do they're probably not going to spend all that much time on the planet. So it's basically going to be a huge effort, a lot of expense and a hell of a long trip for a landing a ceremony and a long trip back.

I kind of doubt anyone is really going to intentionally send people to their death just to say "Hey! We went to Mars!"
the interesting part is how they plan to stay, rather than plan a trip back. The idea is to colonise mars, so its true they dont intend on dying immediately, but there has been a lot of criticism:
Quote:
Many have criticized the project's US$6 billion budget as being too low to successfully transport humans to Mars, to the point of being delusional.[92][93] A similar project study by NASA estimated the cost of such a feat at US$100 billion, although that included transporting the astronauts back to Earth.
and i realised i had read the initial plans..its actually very vague for the current plans, and different details are given in different places so yeah its probably not going to go ahead

today i washed my hands
i want to be alone
i want to fry
----
if it's the thought that counts well count me out
post #49 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:15 AM
Don't make me stink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt moyt View Post
the interesting part is how they plan to stay, rather than plan a trip back. The idea is to colonise mars, so its true they dont intend on dying immediately, but there has been a lot of criticism:

and i realised i had read the initial plans..its actually very vague for the current plans, and different details are given in different places so yeah its probably not going to go ahead
Then again, there are some pretty amazing things they've had to do to make the space station work and keep it alive. Watched a few documentaries on it and I was kind of surprised at some of the technology they have put into things like dealing with space junk hitting it and things like that.

It's probably really just a matter of cost. If they decide to do it they're going to have to have a money is no object outlook. Otherwise they're going to end up really making it harder than it needs to be. If they just threw everything they could at it I have a feeling it wouldn't be hard. Trying to do it cheap is going to be a real PITA.

------------

post #50 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:31 AM
Winter Is Here

My Mood: Drunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
We should send some people to the sun.
"We" sounds like a group of scientists, as far as I know...

The only church that illuminates is a burning church.
post #51 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 05:42 PM
Almighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegfried View Post
Such a cute Hollywood fantasy.
The space station was a fantasy 50 years ago.

Kneel before me worms. I am God.
post #52 of 52 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:52 AM
Yoink

My Mood: Stressed
no, nasa should spend every penny it gets cleaning the oceans, stop looking for planets, this one is dying

And I always thought this would be the land of milk and honey
Oh but I came to find out that it's all hate and money
And there's a canopy of greed holding me down.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page