Do you think we should visit Mars? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Spartan-092

Location: Downloading...5%...34%...68%...87%...download failed.
My Mood: Bored
Do you think we should visit Mars?

Yes or no? And why?

I say no, mostly because we don't fully understand our planet and how it works yet. Why start with a new one so soon? We haven't even discovered 10% of what's in our oceans. I'd like to know what else is down there first.

Sent from my RCT6213W87DK using Tapatalk

"Be careful, the enemy of our enemy isn't necessarily our friend." Captain Cutter, Halo Wars 2

"You have got to be sucking on purpose." Random Marine, Halo 3

"We are wearing the same uniform sir." - Random Marine, Halo 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 06:56 PM
Cleaning House

My Mood: Tired
If it's just to clean up after all these rovers have littered the place, then yeah.

Quote:
I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living or get busy dying. - Andy Dufresne
Quote:
Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son. - Dean Vernon Wormer
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 06:56 PM
You spoony bard!

Agent Smith: I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure.

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 06:59 PM

No, there's nothing useful on Mars. waste of resources.

Every single choice you have ever made in your life has brought you to this exact moment,
reading this exact sentence.

Have a good day.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 07:18 PM
SAS Member

Yes, people should absolutely go to Mars. It could teach us quite a fair bit about alien planets and their contents. It would be foolish to stand and not act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Library of Emma View Post
Nobody knows what's on Mars, only what we've seen from a few photos of the atmosphere and surface. There could be water streams or ice, there could be living organisims. Or, there could just be a bunch of rocks and clouds. We don't know for sure.

He who makes a beast out of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 07:20 PM
You spoony bard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast And The Harlot View Post
Nobody knows what's on Mars, only what we've seen from a few photos of the atmosphere and surface. There could water or ice, there could be living organisims. Or, there could just be a bunch of rocks and clouds. We don't know for sure.

Yes, people should absolutely go to Mars. It could teah us so much about alien planets and their contents. Ot would be foolish to stand and not act.
The biggest reason humanity wants to go is to toss the earth and start over with a new place to exploit and pollute and stripmine. Exploration has very little to do with it.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 10:40 PM
source of vitamin C

My Mood: Pensive
Yeah, could be useful

post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 12:46 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Library of Emma View Post
It's a milestone though. First we learn to go there, and then we learn to go further. Plus it is the possibility of colonization there sometime in the future.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 12:49 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Yeah. We have to push forward and become at least a type 3 civilization.

looks like blue must be your color.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 01:41 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Condition of Keegan View Post
Yes or no? And why?

I say no, mostly because we don't fully understand our planet and how it works yet. Why start with a new one so soon? We haven't even discovered 10% of what's in our oceans. I'd like to know what else is down there first.

Sent from my RCT6213W87DK using Tapatalk
Think about it Keegan. When you are going to Mars vs traveling in the ocean you are using two completely different technologies, and you are traveling in space vs the ocean for two completely different reasons as well, so it's not like you should pick one or the other. They aren't competing so you should do both.

The vast exploration of the sea happens because there is oil down there as far as I know, but there are definitely ongoing research on life and drugs down there as well. The thing though that makes the ocean uninteresting for a lot of people is that it is mostly empty. That's because of the pressure, the little (no sunlight) sunlight and the really low temperatures makes it hard to develop life down there, so the vast majority of what you find down there is just gonna be sand and stone. If you find a creature down there it probably won't survive the trip back up to the mainland, just as we won't survive down there without highly advanced tech because our bodies aren't built for that kind of pressure.

There are also no benefits to building houses down there vs on another planet that might be fit for human life. Like I said you can't exactly make food down there because there won't sunlight(I guess you could have those blue lights but meh) to make the plants grow, and then you'll have limited amount of air because you can't make plants, so you need a continuous stream of oxygen down there, and then think about the pressure and the kind of buildings we would need to live in.. They have to be feet thick to withstand the kind of pressure that's down there.

I am not saying that the colonization of another planet is easy though, but it just sounds so much manageable if you compare them side by side and to me at least is much more interesting.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 08:59 AM
SAS Member

I think we should visit everything humanly possible in our solar system. I find space exploration so fascinating. I wish we put more resources into it.
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:29 AM
fish wizard

why not both
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 03:15 PM
Sunshine and rain

I watched this video a while back... if what the boy claims is true then no I don't think we should try to colonise Mars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Xcn436tyI
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:47 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Confused
Yeah, we have to move forward. It's not like planets are closed systems anyhow as long as precautions are followed. As they say, life on Earth is a dead end. We have to move beyond this planet's surface if life here is to be more than a novelty act.
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:37 PM
Geese

Location: The place where everything is trying to kill you (Australia)
My Mood: Relaxed
I'd prefer we spent resources managing what we have here but what makes man great is the drive to explore the unknown.

Your 100% in anything, even if you're not the best at it, is a success.
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:44 PM
Moth Shepherd

Yeah, we need to learn to terraform. And also we need to explore space more so space pirate jedi knight xenobiologist becomes a viable career path.

I also want the title of technomancer, using alien technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Milk View Post
Yeah. We have to push forward and become at least a type 3 civilization.
Woah there, we're not even a type 1 at the moment.

"We dwell in a present-tense culture that somehow, significantly, decided to employ the telling expression "You're history" as a choice reprobation or insult, and thus elected to speak forgotten volumes about itself." - Christopher Hitchens.

🎧 🎧 🎧
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svarog11 View Post
Are you an anarchist, by any chance?
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 04:00 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
Yeah, we need to learn to terraform. And also we need to explore space more so space pirate jedi knight xenobiologist becomes a viable career path.

I also want the title of technomancer, using alien technology.

Woah there, we're not even a type 1 at the moment.
When I used to smoke weed as a teenager I would think of things like that, exploring space. Did you see Rogue One and The Force Awakens? I saw both twice in Imax, I think you would love them, right up your alley. It is all about that same type of weird scientifical stuff =0)>
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 04:17 PM
Don't make me stink

My Mood: Relaxed
I think we might as well try to explore Mars as opposed to spending money on a space program but staying in Earth orbit and never doing anything new. Actually sending people to other places in the solar system is what is going to get people excited and engaged. Sending robots is fine but it's boring.

------------

I have seen one one billionth of everything there is to see and it was all the same.
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 04:19 PM
Permanently Banned

mate . we can not even visit our oceans and deep under earth and you are talking about MARS? lets explore earth first .
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 09:40 PM
Winter Is Here

My Mood: Drunk
Currently the main reason to go to Mars is the scientific knowledge and the experience. It's obviously the first step before exploring and colonizing the rest of the Solar System. People always say stuff like 'we already have a home', but they also ignore that:

-This isn't rechnically "our home". It's just a planet we happened to have evolved in, and that could turn inhabitable any time, either because of us or because of nature. Whatever the case, the deadline will still be established by the expansion of the Sun itself.

-We're not a united species yet. There are so many conflicts down here, that I guess we can all agree that waiting for us to change before leaving the planet will be useless. Becoming an inter planetary species before an extinction event happens on Earth will surely increase the chances of surviving.

-"exploring the oceans" or any other argument like that most likely won't be as useful as exploring space, like I explained.

The only church that illuminates is a burning church.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page