What did God do to deserve his own privilege? - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 09:05 AM
source of vitamin C
 
Red October's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Aus
Gender: Male
Age: 27
Posts: 1,515
My Mood: Pensive
Because he can smite anyone who says otherwise I guess

He's like a cosmic Kim Jong Un

.
Red October is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 09:19 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Gender: Male
Age: 17
Posts: 4,501
Well my theory is that if God created our universe and our logic, then he must have some sort of supreme knowledge.
sad1231234 is offline  
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 09:30 PM
Winter Is Here
 
eukz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Chile
Gender: Male
Age: 27
Posts: 3,678
My Mood: Drunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad1231234 View Post
Well my theory is that if God created our universe and our logic, then he must have some sort of supreme knowledge.
Well, as the centuries pass it seems logic is starting to get bigger and bigger than God...

"I have no religion, and at times I wish all religions at the bottom of the sea. He is a weak ruler who needs religion to uphold his government; it is as if he would catch his people in a trap. My people are going to learn the principles of democracy, the dictates of truth and the teachings of science. Superstition must go. Let them worship as they will; every man can follow his own conscience, provided it does not interfere with sane reason or bid him against the liberty of his fellow-men."
eukz is offline  
 
post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 09:36 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Gender: Male
Age: 17
Posts: 4,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by eukz View Post
Well, as the centuries pass it seems logic is starting to get bigger and bigger than God...
Good point. There is always the chance that God could be working in some mysterious mind-bending way but it seems unlikely.
sad1231234 is offline  
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:02 PM
Winter Is Here
 
eukz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Chile
Gender: Male
Age: 27
Posts: 3,678
My Mood: Drunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad1231234 View Post
Good point. There is always the chance that God could be working in some mysterious mind-bending way but it seems unlikely.
Not just unlikely. His whole attitude of 'I'm totally hiding in humanity's darkest hours, and suddenly revealing myself just so I can starting punishing billions of surprised people' totally questions his "benevolent" part. What does the Bible say about the periods of History in which the ratio of faithful to known-world-population greatly decreases? Periods like the world wars, the Cold War, or the 21st century? Probably nothing considering that none of the medieval writers ever expected something like that. It makes me wonder what would've God done if the Cuban missile crisis or any other event like that had destroyed civilization.

"I have no religion, and at times I wish all religions at the bottom of the sea. He is a weak ruler who needs religion to uphold his government; it is as if he would catch his people in a trap. My people are going to learn the principles of democracy, the dictates of truth and the teachings of science. Superstition must go. Let them worship as they will; every man can follow his own conscience, provided it does not interfere with sane reason or bid him against the liberty of his fellow-men."
eukz is offline  
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 05:06 PM
SAS Member
 
ljubo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,247
nothing, he always had it, this question does not even exists, thats how mighty god is .
ljubo is offline  
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 06:16 PM
Winter Is Here
 
eukz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Chile
Gender: Male
Age: 27
Posts: 3,678
My Mood: Drunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljubo View Post
nothing, he always had it, this question does not even exists, thats how mighty god is .
The problem isn't the useless question, it's the bunch of contradictions that raise right after assuming certain verses are true (like the Omnibenevolence part)

"I have no religion, and at times I wish all religions at the bottom of the sea. He is a weak ruler who needs religion to uphold his government; it is as if he would catch his people in a trap. My people are going to learn the principles of democracy, the dictates of truth and the teachings of science. Superstition must go. Let them worship as they will; every man can follow his own conscience, provided it does not interfere with sane reason or bid him against the liberty of his fellow-men."
eukz is offline  
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 06:51 PM
Lynch fanboy-mode
 
Mc Borg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Gender: Male
Age: 27
Posts: 10,978
My Mood: Goofy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pied vert View Post
To be rewarded, everyone must realize their lowliness and try to fight their lowliness even while constantly apologizing for their unchanging lowliness. That is our position by birth.

So... how come God wasn't born low like us? Why was he privileged to be born as someone no one can rebuke? That everything is shameless unless he does it?
Even if he was never born, and he's been there forever, why wasn't it one of us? Why him? He didn't get the opportunity to earn his lot, he's just had it since forever. Seems odd.
Assuming that a God exists, it would simply be it's nature to exist in that way. In traditional theism, God is supposed to be necessarily existent being that is the ground of being (i.e. every other existent thing is dependent on God's existence).

Hi David Lynch =D
Mc Borg is online now  
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
stickler for paperwork
 
pied vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Gender: Female
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc Borg View Post
Assuming that a God exists, it would simply be it's nature to exist in that way. In traditional theism, God is supposed to be necessarily existent being that is the ground of being (i.e. every other existent thing is dependent on God's existence).
"It is because it is"
In traditional monotheism, God has an ego and all of that. If he has an ego like us then it's not fair. If he's just some "essence" that we call God then that's different.

He must be so lonely.
pied vert is offline  
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 10:27 AM
SAS Member
 
impedido10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,184
My Mood: Fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurdishFella View Post
theres no such thing as god. and are u high? seems like it
listen to this man

Improving...
impedido10 is offline  
post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 02:17 AM
Lynch fanboy-mode
 
Mc Borg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Gender: Male
Age: 27
Posts: 10,978
My Mood: Goofy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pied vert View Post
"It is because it is"
In traditional monotheism, God has an ego and all of that. If he has an ego like us then it's not fair. If he's just some "essence" that we call God then that's different.
Sorry for not replying to this earlier, I meant to but forgot.

The claim of traditional theism is actually stronger than that. It's more like "It is, because it could not possibly be another way." I don't make the claim that a god exists or not, but I'm not seeing what being fair has to do with it if one does exist.

Quote:
He must be so lonely.
Ha, this reminds me of this album title:
http://www.youtube.com/v/QHhwL2vHBFc

Hi David Lynch =D
Mc Borg is online now  
post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 07:17 PM
SAS Member
 
humidity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: S. California
Gender: Male
Age: 30
Posts: 795
In my view we don't need to do anything to earn God's love and passage into a happy afterlife... I believe everyone goes to heaven and can't screw it up. I do however hate that there is suffering in this world, but I hope that in the afterlife this life on earth will make sense.

A lot of religions make getting into heaven very stressful... trying to be good just to save yourself. If I was God I would let everyone in, because human beings are too weak and stupid.
humidity is online now  
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
stickler for paperwork
 
pied vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Gender: Female
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc Borg View Post
The claim of traditional theism is actually stronger than that. It's more like "It is, because it could not possibly be another way." I don't make the claim that a god exists or not, but I'm not seeing what being fair has to do with it if one does exist.
Implementing "fairness" seems to be the intended result of theism, so it is strange that fairness is not also the cause, that's what.
I know the Bible-given answer is "it's necessary," but by its own descriptions, seems like God's position over us is actually extremely arbitrary. Something being a certain way since the beginning of time is actually my idea of arbitrary.

what is the value of someone's unconditional devotion IF they are the type to sacrifice both their morals (which are deferred to God) and their reason (they're supposed not to ask for proof) to achieve it? Even if they do it, what kind of a person are they, that there is no personal significance to their devotion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc Borg View Post
Ha, this reminds me of this album title:
http://www.youtube.com/v/QHhwL2vHBFc
I marked that album for listening. I like songs almost mostly for their titles, to be honest.
pied vert is offline  
post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 01:05 PM
Stop looking at me.
 
TheInvisibleHand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NY , Hudson Valley
Gender: Non-binary
Age: 25
Posts: 1,624
God is a Russian agent.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever."
TheInvisibleHand is offline  
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 06:31 PM
Seriously , never serious
 
Grog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Australia
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,126
My Mood: Breezy
I agree he must be lonely if he is the only god . And if he isn't then he must be a loner that plays by him self and therefore he must be lonely .
And if there is a heaven and people go there to keep him company then he must be very bored as from where I see it all the fun people go to hell
. And with all the people that have died since the beginning of time I doubt he would have time to hang with every one so then that would make him only hang with his mates which would explain why he's lost interest in his toy and hasn't done f all for a while which make him neglectful . (Hey god your fish bowl is getting dirty how about some attention hmmm)
So why do people still worship him , is it so you can get into boring heaven to hang with other boring people still waiting for a glimpse of god who is too busily hanging with his mates .

. WTF is wrong with me



Grog is offline  
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 01:03 AM
N/A
 
Twilightforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Location
Posts: 644
My Mood: Bored
God is like super man. You can pray to super man and get the same results.
Twilightforce is offline  
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 01:37 AM
 
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: California Republic
Gender: Male
Age: 36
Posts: 4,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by pied vert View Post
Implementing "fairness" seems to be the intended result of theism
I disagree with this premise. Protestant Christians, at any rate, believe that god seeks to implement the most extreme unfairness imaginable. In a recent SAS thread they parroted the general consensus that the most abhorrent mass-murderers who believe in Jesus will be welcomed to eternal heavenly bliss, while the most perfectly morally upstanding people of the wrong faith / no faith will be cast into the fires of hell for eternal torment. You can't get more unfair than that.

This faith evolved partly as a control mechanism and partly as a coping mechanism, of course, for people who were already suffering extreme unfairness under absolute monarchs and regular plagues on Earth. The oppressed throughout history have rarely really craved fairness -- they've craved taking over the role of the oppressor and enjoying unfair advantages. A Christian, no matter how destitute and no matter how selfish and otherwise morally bankrupt, can look forward to spiritual revenge in the afterlife as they get rewarded while those they're jealous of get tortured (even if those they're jealous of are Christian, it's easy to imagine they're a false Christian with some heretical belief or just insufficiently pious).

Sacramento Social Anxiety Meetup

"Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward." - Kurt Vonnegut
Paul is online now  
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 03:23 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Gender: Male
Age: 17
Posts: 4,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by eukz View Post
It makes me wonder what would've God done if the Cuban missile crisis or any other event like that had destroyed civilization.
He'd simply create man again from the radioactive dust
sad1231234 is offline  
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 03:28 AM
Querdenker
 
hoddesdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,415
My Mood: Confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I disagree with this premise. Protestant Christians, at any rate, believe that god seeks to implement the most extreme unfairness imaginable. In a recent SAS thread they parroted the general consensus that the most abhorrent mass-murderers who believe in Jesus will be welcomed to eternal heavenly bliss, while the most perfectly morally upstanding people of the wrong faith / no faith will be cast into the fires of hell for eternal torment. You can't get more unfair than that.

This faith evolved partly as a control mechanism and partly as a coping mechanism, of course, for people who were already suffering extreme unfairness under absolute monarchs and regular plagues on Earth. The oppressed throughout history have rarely really craved fairness -- they've craved taking over the role of the oppressor and enjoying unfair advantages. A Christian, no matter how destitute and no matter how selfish and otherwise morally bankrupt, can look forward to spiritual revenge in the afterlife as they get rewarded while those they're jealous of get tortured (even if those they're jealous of are Christian, it's easy to imagine they're a false Christian with some heretical belief or just insufficiently pious).
How does the abolition of slavery fit with this? William Wilberforce was at the forefront, and in America a lot of effort was put into abolishing it.

cheer up - God is with you
hoddesdon is offline  
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 03:34 AM
SAS Member
 
Raies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Up North
Gender: Male
Age: 23
Posts: 548
My Mood: Fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragammon View Post
The religion of my youth had a unique way of addressing this. Whereas most Christians insist that God is eternal and perfect, Mormonism teaches that God was once mortal like us, on some other world that came before ours. They suggest that God earned his supremacy by being righteous and faithful in his own lifetime. And that Mormon men can become gods over their own planets if they're good enough. Crazy, right?

It's just another glaring flaw in the whole Christian mythology. They're so quick to deny the possibility that the universe has simply always existed, yet they turn around and suggest that God has always existed. Otherwise God had to have been created at some point, and that creator had to have been created, ad nauseum.
http://www.youtube.com/v/sZIFqaqKoBI

Raies is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
trinity makes no sense ljubo Agnosticism, Atheism and Religion 45 12-09-2016 03:19 AM
why i believe in GOD ben3188 Coping With Social Anxiety 1 06-19-2016 08:27 PM
I think I'm losing my faith ingsoc3125 Spiritual Support 8 03-31-2016 03:30 PM
YOU are God dachickmagnet General Discussion 20 10-17-2015 06:01 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome