There are billions of people living in different timelines. You and I don't matter. - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Discussion > Agnosticism, Atheism and Religion

Old 02-03-2014, 07:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default There are billions of people living in different timelines. You and I don't matter.

If you come to think of it there are approximately 7 billion people living in the world right now. Think of the other billions of people who lived in this world about 150 years ago and the other billions of people who lived 300 years ago, and the billions of people thereafter. Humans are said to have lived for about 500,000 years already. Some say a a million years. All that matters is that the number of humans who have existed in this world would reach trillions.

Now I ask you this. Out of all of the trillions of people who have existed in this world for several lifetimes, would you even matter?

If heaven or hell exists, how would trillions of people fit into such place? Or is this really a place or just a state of mind?
Setolac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Myr

I feel obligated to call into question your definition of "human" (homo sapiens have certainly not been around for more than 500,000 years, and that number is itself exceedingly high) but that's totally beside the point, so I'll refrain.

To address your point, tho. Why would the numbers matter? Do you believe that human worth on a spiritual level is more valuable when the species population is smaller? When the population bottle-necked 70,000 years ago, were those 10,000 breeding pairs of humans spiritually more important than are people in the year 2014, assuming that the only determining factor is, as you're suggesting, the number of people on the planet? Obviously, they were worth more genetically and biologically. But spiritually? Assuming that a God, gods, or some other super-, sub-, or para-natural entity created the earth and humanity, does it actually make sense to you that such a being would care more about a small population than a large one? That it would be bothered at all by the process of differentiating those many entities?

And, hey, why does it even have to differentiate? Many religions teach spiritual meaning through unity. Individuality is an illusion; but the spiritual implications are no less substantial. If I'm really just a single, tiny drop of water pulled from an ocean or suspended above it, does my substance actually change? Is there any less of me?

I don't believe that the vastness of the population or the vastness of our planet or solar system or the universe are a threat to my spiritual being. Spirituality doesn't really give a damn about numbers.

As for the question of heaven and hell...do you really believe that those are viewed as finite places with a seating capacity, or that souls actually occupy a quantifiable space? Heaven and hell are neither spaces nor states of mind; they're states of being.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myr View Post
... Spirituality doesn't really give a damn about numbers.
This is a good point. Spirituality is a fenced off, personal thing. That's why it doesn't have to be justified in trite categories like reality, of course.

Heaven and hell must be a logistics nightmare. How 'bad' or 'good' do you have to be for one or the other, and how do so many people get delivered there? Are there ever mistakes or wrong identities? There must be tons of similar names in the database.

And is there a court? Can appeals be made?

More seriously, it seems that the idea of eternal life is there to comfort people and make them feel significant, when humans as a whole aren't even a slight drop in the giant bucket of the universe.

Do you still need the toilet in heaven? I think in Islam your virgins are pure and therefore don't need toilets, it says. And what age are you in the Christian heaven? At your physical prime? Or just floating space energy? How does your mind get there from the physical being of the body?

"Ain't no right way or wrong way: it's the need way!"
-Snow (on the Bluff)
87wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Who said that we matter in the first place?

Do dolphins, gorillas or crows matter?, we're just more advanced animals. It just happen to be that we're also extremely and naturally insecure and therefore we seek comfort on the belief that we're somehow special or valuable.
DerSteppenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setolac View Post

If you come to think of it there are approximately 7 billion people living in the world right now. Think of the other billions of people who lived in this world about 150 years ago and the other billions of people who lived 300 years ago, and the billions of people thereafter. Humans are said to have lived for about 500,000 years already. Some say a a million years. All that matters is that the number of humans who have existed in this world would reach trillions.

Now I ask you this. Out of all of the trillions of people who have existed in this world for several lifetimes, would you even matter?

If heaven or hell exists, how would trillions of people fit into such place? Or is this really a place or just a state of mind?
If you take things in perspective, well nothing really matters. The earth is an insignificant planet, and the sun is a insignificant star in the solar system, which itself is one of many many galaxies, and if we are to believe in parallel universes then our whole universe is one of many. Why would anything matter is probably a better question?
But it does and everything does once you lower the unit of analysis. So the bully in my school mattered a lot to us while in the context of the universe, who cares?
And not mattering when increasing the scale does not cancel the God argument. If humans were made in the likeliness of god, then psychologically speaking, humans should matter more than others. We as mammals always seem to care more about other mammals than any other species. When was the last time you felt sorry for a fish? Or a bacterium?
And logistically, managing is not a problem. God just needs a larger storage place for his database I guess
pazuzuinxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

People matter to themselves and the people they interact with to some degree. That's good enough really. Why do we need more than that?
TerminalBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think it's funny that people think they matter to a deity, haha. So arrogant.
Why did it all turn out like this for me? I had so much promise. I was personable, I was bright. Oh, maybe not academically speaking, but I was perceptive. I always know when someone's uncomfortable at a party. It became very clear to me sitting out there today, that every decision I've ever made, in my entire life, has been wrong. My life is the opposite of everything I want it to be. Every instinct I have, in every aspect of life, be it something to wear, something to eat, it's all been wrong.
minimized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimized View Post
The irony
Idontgetit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

WwhaaattT!!! My brain has just imploded.
GotAnxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimized View Post
Without our praise and refrain from masturbation, the deities will die. No ****.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

We dont have to matter any more than any other animal. We matter to ourselves and thats enough to try and make it through this life and experience what we can.

♥♥♥
KelsKels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwalters2 View Post
Without our praise and refrain from masturbation, the deities will die. No ****.
Lol. Reminds me of a game I used to play as a kid called populous. The only way to make the deity survive was by praying...
pazuzuinxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setolac View Post

Just because they made pot legal, does NOT mean you should smoke it !!
Alienated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

And I'm the best one out of all of them!

MUAHAHAHAHAH~!
Old 02-07-2014, 04:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myr View Post
I feel obligated to call into question your definition of "human" (homo sapiens have certainly not been around for more than 500,000 years, and that number is itself exceedingly high) but that's totally beside the point, so I'll refrain.

To address your point, tho. Why would the numbers matter? Do you believe that human worth on a spiritual level is more valuable when the species population is smaller? When the population bottle-necked 70,000 years ago, were those 10,000 breeding pairs of humans spiritually more important than are people in the year 2014, assuming that the only determining factor is, as you're suggesting, the number of people on the planet? Obviously, they were worth more genetically and biologically. But spiritually? Assuming that a God, gods, or some other super-, sub-, or para-natural entity created the earth and humanity, does it actually make sense to you that such a being would care more about a small population than a large one? That it would be bothered at all by the process of differentiating those many entities?

And, hey, why does it even have to differentiate? Many religions teach spiritual meaning through unity. Individuality is an illusion; but the spiritual implications are no less substantial. If I'm really just a single, tiny drop of water pulled from an ocean or suspended above it, does my substance actually change? Is there any less of me?

I don't believe that the vastness of the population or the vastness of our planet or solar system or the universe are a threat to my spiritual being. Spirituality doesn't really give a damn about numbers.

As for the question of heaven and hell...do you really believe that those are viewed as finite places with a seating capacity, or that souls actually occupy a quantifiable space? Heaven and hell are neither spaces nor states of mind; they're states of being.
I disagree, we don't matter, that's the truth of it. We may matter to some people, or to none at all, but 99.9% of people here will continue life as normal when we die.
But you'll have to clip her wings
'Cause she'll soar like a hawk when she flies
But she'll dive like an eagle when she dies"

Feel free to message me if you want someone to talk to
apx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

I think you have it backwards. Everyone matters.
HelpfulHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

Don't forget about all of the alternate universes, OP.
varvo is offline   Reply With Quote