X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Discussion > Agnosticism, Atheism and Religion

Old 07-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Red face Overly religious Christian people annoy me..

My moms side of the family is what you would call overly religious. I am a Christian but I can't stand people like this..you probably know some...overly judgmental of other peoples beliefs if it doesn't match theirs...is friends with only people from church/or if only your a Christian, Every problem is solved by reading the bible, praying and seeking God, Go to church every Sunday and never miss a day..are shocked when they find out you havnt been to church in months, their job is at the church..and the list goes on...I think anything when it comes to be an "obsession" Especially religion, is bad for the human mind and I think people like that get so caught up in it it becomes their life and they become obsessed. I don't really know what the point of this post was..I just needed to vent..they annoy me.
KelseyAlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hi. I know how you feel and I am in the same position. I'm Christian, but my family, both immediate and extended are very religious. Being overly religious can cloud reasoning skills and your judgement for sure. You just gotta live with it I guess.
Killer2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Whenever I tell my mom I'm not going to church on a particular Sunday she gets all flustered and goes "you need to go to church, else you'll get out of the habit!" Hahaha. Because, you know, Christ said "you shall go to church ONCE a week, EVERY week, (ONLY on Sunday, mind you,) and dress nice and sit in funny benches called pews and listen to a funny man quote Scripture out of context to fit with whatever he wants to say, and sing a cute song that makes you feel all happy, and then ignore everyone else there and go home and not think about God for the rest of the week, and then repeat so you can feel good about your "spiritual life."

Yeah, it completely misses the point.

I follow Jesus, but I hate the religious, churchy culture that I grew up in.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

One of the reasons I'm atheist is because of the arrogance and close minded hate caused by strong beliefs. I actually have little to no problems with reasonable theists. Fundamentalist and radical believers can do one....to put it nicely :P
And1 ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

I feel the same way. I won't go to church and when someone starts talking about Jesus in the middle of our conversations I want to run
SoWrongItsRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyAlena View Post
My moms side of the family is what you would call overly religious. I am a Christian but I can't stand people like this..you probably know some...overly judgmental of other peoples beliefs if it doesn't match theirs...is friends with only people from church/or if only your a Christian, Every problem is solved by reading the bible, praying and seeking God, Go to church every Sunday and never miss a day..are shocked when they find out you havnt been to church in months, their job is at the church..and the list goes on...I think anything when it comes to be an "obsession" Especially religion, is bad for the human mind and I think people like that get so caught up in it it becomes their life and they become obsessed. I don't really know what the point of this post was..I just needed to vent..they annoy me.
Yep! That describes my stepmom
ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

I am similarly annoyed by the sort of people who think their religion is the only right one and cannot tolerate anyone elses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by And1 ellis View Post
One of the reasons I'm atheist is because of the arrogance and close minded hate caused by strong beliefs. I actually have little to no problems with reasonable theists. Fundamentalist and radical believers can do one....to put it nicely :P
You see this same arrogance and closed mindedness in atheists, so how can that be a reason you are atheist?
Recipe For Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by And1 ellis View Post
It's fine to have strong beliefs, it would just be nice if people didn't have stupid ones.

"He who has learnt how to die has unlearnt how to be a slave." - Montaigne
albrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Petty moralizing and traditions do harm by slowing people down, fundamentalism by dragging people along. A happy mean criticizes both those who make up the numbers and those too assured the kingdom of heaven will conform to their belief. Petty and extreme beliefs turn attention away from petty and extreme natures, or those geared too high or low when compared with the happy mean of the age, that seems to me a better description than: "petty religious people" and "enlightened intellectuals". If those more inclined towards traditions and moralizing were liberated, they would still be lead by people whose knowledge were considered the soundest of their time, they are then considered rational. They haven't become deeper or less petty, they remain as dogmatic with the happy mean because that felt better, it still is what they wanted to believe- the rational badge of honour goes with them and the approval of people closer to the mean; others find themselves drawn towards revolutions and fundamentalism. I don't think there is something wrong with either side necessarily, despite the levelling effect of society, nothing I've seen convinces me such a happy mean exists. The mean "rationality" never qualitatively differentiates itself from the fundamentalists of the age, it would make a hypocrite of a born fundamentalist or one too comfortable following, as would absolute spiritual freedom. With that sense of spiritual freedom, what then drives the fundamentalist diposition's steep ascent? "I looked around me and saw that time was my only contemporary".

"Set me as a seal upon thine heart, as a seal upon thine arm: for love is strong as death; jealousy is cruel as the grave: the coals thereof are coals of fire, which hath a most vehement flame."- Song of Songs

"It was love that brought them back to life: the heart of one held inexhaustible sources of life for the heart of the other."- Dostoevsky
fredbloggs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

For some reason I keep thinking of the time a couple years ago when I was in a shopping mall and a guy who was maybe in his early forties waived me down. He was wearing a jeans vest, a cowboy hat, and a beard. When he got my attention he put his hand on the side of his mouth, like he was about to tell me some huge secret, and he said "Jesus Christ is the Lord!"

I'm sorry, but a person who does that to total strangers in the mall might as well be a space alien to me. I recognize that there are millions and millions of people all over the world who do believe that Jesus Christ is, in fact, the Lord. I am perfectly comfortable being around most of those people. Some of them are my close relatives. But I am unable to find common ground with a man who believes it so euphorically and urgently that he has to whisper it to random people he's never seen before.

And I remember a time more recently when I was in the library and at the next table a teenager was trying to convince two of his friends that intelligent design made more sense than evolution. He'd absorbed a bunch of misleading talking points from Answers in Genesis or some similar source and was terribly sincere in his pitch. Of course social anxiety prevented me from intervening but I just had this feeling in my stomach the whole time, seeing someone who had participated in his own deception and was now trying to enlist his buddies. It was gross.

I guess I'm being judgmental. I am completely on board with tolerating these kinds of people, in the same way I tolerate, say, hate speech. In the 'first amendment' sense. What I don't think I have to do is respect them. Pity is the kindest response I can find when I see stuff like this.
Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'm fine with what people believe. As far as I am concerned its up to them what they believe, I respect that and I will not try to convince them otherwise.

My problem simply is when people feel the need to preach to me. I don't believe in God, I have my reasons for that and thatisn't going to change simply by somebody shoving there beliefS right down my throat when they hear that I do not believe what they do.
Otherside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

I hate it when they go to poor places and feed the people IN return for converting to Christianity. I despise Christianity, but not God
ahickspanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

I went to a public high school that was pretty much as one teacher put it controlled by the big excessively fancy church down the road... More than half the students and staff went there and not only that but some of the staff worked there too... It bugged me not only did I get shuned for being weird and awkward but I got shunnedfor not believing like them...

- Carl Sagan

Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, It kills all of its students

- Robin Williams
Gusthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Who isn't annoyed by them?
I have nearly no tolerance for people who feel the need to shove their spiritual beliefs down the throats of others.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwkBoy View Post
Who isn't annoyed by them?
I have nearly no tolerance for people who feel the need to shove their spiritual beliefs down the throats of others.
People that are just like them.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:46 PM   #16 (permalink)

Overly secular people annoy me, and dogmatic atheists are boring. I like to discuss theology with serious and committed Christians if they're well-informed and know what they're talking about. Same applies to Hindus, Muslims, Jews, etc.
Bagrationi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagrationi View Post
Overly secular people annoy me, and dogmatic atheists are boring. I like to discuss theology with serious and committed Christians if they're well-informed and know what they're talking about. Same applies to Hindus, Muslims, Jews, etc.
Exactly same here.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #18 (permalink)

I don't understood how people can say they are christian and yet be against everything the bible tells them to do. Isn't that the whole point of being a Christian? Choosing to just following the New Testament or following the teachings of one character in the story (Jesus) means you are just cherry picking all the good things about the bible and ignoring all the negative aspects about it. That to me just boggles my mind.
Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #19 (permalink)

Saw a van today with stuff like "Disobey and Die!" all over it.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

Religious people and religion in general annoy me. My family, and relatives, ALL overly religious, are all dumb as a bucket of rocks. You cannot have any intelligent debate or discussion with ANY of them. They are all brain dead.

They know my father is abusive, but due to their religious bull**** beliefs, they choose to stick their heads in the sand instead or look the other way.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Note: majority of typos are from posting on my phone
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote