Consider a tree - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 11:23 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
If you're referring to me then what can I say? http://i.imgur.com/ACXIq.gif I learned from the best

FAITH isn't blind. It's the EXPECTATION of things not seen. -Dave in Tenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 06:56 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter View Post
Anyway just thought it was interesting how sometimes science confirms the Scriptures.
Confirms the scriptures? Or coincides with the scriptures? Remember, there's only two logical ways a tree could have been brought into existence: it can be created, or it can grow(be brought forth) from the ground(earth). So science has a 50/50 chance(probability-wise, there is no way of determining any evidence of more/less chance) of coinciding with the scripture in this case.
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 12:59 AM
Dum di dum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoddesdon View Post
What I am saying is that if there is a process, then it is coordinated by the brain e.g. in the example of the turtles hatching on the beach and always heading toward the ocean despite never having seen it, recognizing the ocean and walking in that direction are processes driven by the brain.
Which is absolutely false.
Your argument rests on a fundamental misunderstanding/ignorance of how biology works.
You don't need a brain for some process to exist. The brain is rather a kind of manifestation of processes and a catalyst for complex behaviour, but is not a prerequisite for 'simple' things.

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Querdenker

My Mood: Confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milco View Post
Which is absolutely false.
Your argument rests on a fundamental misunderstanding/ignorance of how biology works.
You don't need a brain for some process to exist. The brain is rather a kind of manifestation of processes and a catalyst for complex behaviour, but is not a prerequisite for 'simple' things.
How is knowing in what direction to head, given that the turtles have never seen the ocean, sand etc before, or walked before, a simple thing?

cheer up - God is with you
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 11:30 PM
Dum di dum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoddesdon View Post
How is knowing in what direction to head, given that the turtles have never seen the ocean, sand etc before, or walked before, a simple thing?
Are you suggesting turtles don't have brains? It was your claim that a brain is required for any process to exist that's wrong.

Though in the specific case for turtles, it does seem they are attracted to lights (presumably evolved to be attracted to the moonshine reflected in the waves), which now causes problems as restaurants and others near the beaches use bright lights for advertisement, luring some turtles in the wrong direction.
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:29 AM
Geese

Location: The place where everything is trying to kill you (Australia)
My Mood: Relaxed
Those thread is a good examples of why religion exists in the first place. Don't understand how or why? God! Thankfully many of these unknowns have become knowns with our growing understanding of the planet but there will also always be things which we are yet to fully understand.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Your 100% in anything, even if you're not the best at it, is a success.
post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:52 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussiePea View Post
Those thread is a good examples of why religion exists in the first place. Don't understand how or why? God! Thankfully many of these unknowns have become knowns with our growing understanding of the planet but there will also always be things which we are yet to fully understand.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Slowly we are unraveling more and more of our mysterious(and until recently, mystical) universe. We used to think earth was flat; now we know it is spherical, held together by gravity. We used to think that the planets were gods or other celestial bodies, now we know they are lumps of matter just like earth. Although i find it interesting that the two things which we cannot percieve/unravel with our current mental capacity are the two of the most fundamental aspects of the cosmos: cosnciousness and the boundary of the universe.
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:27 PM
Stoic Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad1231234 View Post
Although i find it interesting that the two things which we cannot percieve/unravel with our current mental capacity are the two of the most fundamental aspects of the cosmos: cosnciousness and the boundary of the universe.
I have some ideas on how consciousness works in my blog here. It's all based on neurology, some guesses about what's going on in that 3 lb chunk of neurons and astrocytes in our heads, and on the ideas of Douglas Hofstadter, on the paramount importance of analogy and how analogies form. The blog needs to be read in order, from earliest to latest. It's an idea. To prove it, I think that you would need a huge neural network connected to sensors to emulate our 5 senses, and years of simulated human experience(a training set for the neural net), starting with the things a neonate would experience on. The age of the human consciousness simulated, would be determined by the training set; 40 years experience for a 40 year old simulation, 20 years experience for a 20 year old, etc. I'd love to talk about it with anyone who is interested

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
(Mick Jagger)
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:45 PM
SAS Member

Let me guess, you believe a God created such a tree...the same one that loves unconditionally but allows many innocent people to die each day without intervening...and yet he intervenes other times when it may not be as necessary (i.e., "I just got a new job, praise God", "I just got a raise praise God"). Okay then.

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page