X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Discussion > Agnosticism, Atheism and Religion

Old 11-22-2010, 04:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default "Christian-Based Companies"

What exactly is a Christian-based company and how exactly does that differ from how a non-theistic businessman would run his company?

It strikes me as a way of exploiting religion for sales, as in "buy from me because I'm a believer just like you!" What Jesus would think of being used for commercial purposes?

Speaking commercial purposes, I was at Target filling a prescription on Saturday and, evidently, after asking themselves "What would Jesus do to celebrate his birthday?" a great many people concluded that he would go on a massive orgy of consumerism for the next several weeks. The store was packed with a mob of shoppers. I can only guess they were on a practice run for Black Friday when they will all trample each other at 4 AM to get a bargain, just like Jesus would.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have always seen this a a marketing ploy. By saying that they are a Christian based company they feel that it gives the company a sense of being honest and moral. Actually no more so than any other company.
Amocholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Marketing. Either that or saying "we don't give a crap about the environment because God will save the planet and if he doesn't well we're living in the end times anyway."
VagueResemblance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

I believe it's a way to get buy-in from a large sect of people--a marketing ploy as other have previously said. Really, they're in it for the money just like every other business. Once, I had my car worked on at a "Christian owned & operated" auto shop and they were actually the most rude and hateful group of people I have dealt with and all I did was politely bring my car in.
Glacial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

The Christian-based company thing reminds me of how the guy who got elected as my state representative felt he simply had to mention in his campaign mailings that he was a member of a certain church.

I took that to mean he felt saying "I'm a wholesome Christian boy and not one of them evil atheists who totally lack morals" was a tad too blatant, even though that's how I'd paraphrase it.

I assume Christian-based company is supposed to mean we treat our customers in a manner Jesus would approve of, though one hardly needs to ask "What would Jesus do" to know that screwing customers is a very poor long-term business model, even if it may prove profitable in the short-run. Companies that treat customers badly tend to go out of business.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

One thing I always found odd was that the Christian bookstore in my local mall is open on Sundays for business. Doesn't the Bible state something about "doing no work/business" on Sundays? Yet many Christian businesses are not going to loose an extra day of profits by obeying this command...
Old 11-23-2010, 04:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'd be more skeptical if say, a huge chain of retail stores represented themselves as "Christian based".

There is this little computer shop near where I live, that is Christian based. I've heard nothing but good things about them. If something breaks, they are more than happy to fix/replace it and usually they won't even charge you for it if it's not much trouble. They have been in business, ever since I was into computers. Do you realize how hard it is these days to be generous, and stay in business long term? They must be doing something right. I'm not much of a hardware person, so I plan on having them build me one. It won't really save me much money either, if I knew how to do everything myself.

When I see the two words together in terms of business, non-greedy and dependable come to mind. There are bad apples though, I'm sure. However, what's wrong with using "Christian based" as long as you treat your customers way beyond fairly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saving Face View Post
One thing I always found odd was that the Christian bookstore in my local mall is open on Sundays for business. Doesn't the Bible state something about "doing no work/business" on Sundays? Yet many Christian businesses are not going to loose an extra day of profits by obeying this command...
It could be for business purposes like you say, yes. There's nothing wrong with doing good deeds, or assisting people on Sundays even though it is considered work. They could see this as a bonus business opportunity, "helping" people, or both. I honestly don't see anything wrong with either motive.

You can do what you can't do.

My ultimate goal in life is to make people snort-laugh.
Robot the Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot the Human View Post
It could be for business purposes like you say, yes. There's nothing wrong with doing good deeds, or assisting people on Sundays even though it is considered work. They could see this as a bonus business opportunity, "helping" people, or both. I honestly don't see anything wrong with either motive.
Just goes to show how much religious guidelines are open to interpretation.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

They often differ, because they are closed on Sunday. Other than that, nothing.

If it's Christianity badges they are flashing, they're missing parts of their own religion. They are just wearing it on their shirtsleeves just for show, which is something Jesus advised his followers not to do. *shrugs* In some ways it may simply be a marketing scheme. Money money money.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Some companies give a portion of their proceeds to Christian charities. Chick-Fil-A restaurants, for instance, gives money to the organization Focus On the Family, promotes National Bible Week, and is closed on Sundays.

While some companies undoubtedly use religious themes as a sales tactic, there are others that operate in such a manner because the owners truly believe and think that their beliefs should be reflected in their business practices.
Jnmcda0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Can those companies legally refuse to hire a non-christian (or someone not christian enough to their liking)? What does American labor laws says about that?
Au plaisir d'Ítre libre...
Et toujours debout
Je suis celui qui va jusqu'au bout
JFmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy View Post
What exactly is a Christian-based company and how exactly does that differ from how a non-theistic businessman would run his company?
On a more local note, have you ever driven on I-94 east past the Lakeland Supply building? They're the place that plasters a huge sign with religious messages right next to the freeway. Seeing as how their business just distributes packaging, paper and janitorial products I always found it really odd why they felt the need for their company to be so outspoken about religion.
huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:04 AM   #13 (permalink)

If they're anything other than a non-profit company, they're lying if they claim to be a Christian-based.
And that bagel is stale,
So pass the cottage cheese.
I'm a rock climber.
If rocks are gentle slopes.
Chicken nuggets reside inside
of me.
danberado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danberado View Post
If they're anything other than a non-profit company, they're lying if they claim to be a Christian-based.
The folks who run non-profits can still have substantial salaries. Paying the boss lots of money helps do away with them evil profits, you see.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:24 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huh View Post
On a more local note, have you ever driven on I-94 east past the Lakeland Supply building? They're the place that plasters a huge sign with religious messages right next to the freeway. Seeing as how their business just distributes packaging, paper and janitorial products I always found it really odd why they felt the need for their company to be so outspoken about religion.
I've never seen that. Sounds like the kind of thing that I'd notice. Where on I-94 is that located?
Old 11-25-2010, 08:29 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFmtl View Post
Can those companies legally refuse to hire a non-christian (or someone not christian enough to their liking)? What does American labor laws says about that?
I know there was some christian university that required professors as a condition of employment to certify that they believe in a literal interpretation of the bible including that the earth and everything on it was created in seven 24-hour days. None of this "a day could be however long" stuff would pass with them.

Do they ask "What would Jesus do?" and conclude that he would only employ those who agree with a book in which he's a starring character?
Old 11-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy View Post
I know there was some christian university that required professors as a condition of employment to certify that they believe in a literal interpretation of the bible including that the earth and everything on it was created in seven 24-hour days. None of this "a day could be however long" stuff would pass with them.

Do they ask "What would Jesus do?" and conclude that he would only employ those who agree with a book in which he's a starring character?
So there is no laws in us to forbid discrimination based on things such as religion and beliefs in employment?

As an agnostic, i would not like to live in usa, if my personnal beliefs could reduce my chances at getting a job...
Au plaisir d'Ítre libre...
Et toujours debout
Je suis celui qui va jusqu'au bout
JFmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:45 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFmtl View Post
So there is no laws in us to forbid discrimination based on things such as religion and beliefs in employment?

As an agnostic, i would not like to live in usa, if my personnal beliefs could reduce my chances at getting a job...
Actually, there are such laws, but they don't apply to churches, religious schools and universities, or other religious organizations.

http://www.ecfa.org/Content/TopicReligiousDiscrim

Title VII allows churches and religious organizations to discriminate on the basis of religion. Title VII states that it does not apply to ". . . a religious corporation, association, educational institution, or society with respect to the employment of individuals of a particular religion to perform work connected with the carrying on by such corporation, association, educational institution, or society of its activities."

Under Title VII, religion is defined as all aspects of religious observance, practice, and belief. Churches and religious organizations can discriminate on the basis of religion for all jobs. This includes and is not limited to secretaries, accountants, and janitors. The basis for permissible religious discrimination is the First Amendment's guarantee of religious freedom. The Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of this in Corporation of the Presiding Bishop of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints v. Amos,483 U.S. 327 (1987).
Jnmcda0 is offline   Reply With Quote