X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Self Help Resources

Old 07-25-2010, 04:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Eckhart Tolle - A New Earth

Ok first off, if you don't have the spare cash, google it and get the ebook. Type in 'Eckhart Tolle A New Earth PDF" and you can get it for free like I did. I still want the paperback for quick reference so I'm buying it.

This really applies to the way I used to be, so I hope it help some of you all.

---

An ego that wants something from another – and what ego doesn't – will usually play some kind of role to get its “needs” met, be they material gain, a sense of power, superiority, or specialness, or some kind of gratification, be it physical or psychological. Usually people are completely unaware of the roles they play. They are those roles. Some roles are subtle; others are blatantly obvious, except to the person playing it. Some roles are designed simply to get attention from others. The ego thrives on others' attention, which is after all a form of psychic energy. The ego doesn't know that the source of all energy is within you, so it seeks it outside. It is not the formless attention which is Presence that the ego seeks, but attention in some form, such as recognition, praise, admiration, or just to be noticed in some way, to have its existence acknowledged.

A shy person who is afraid of the attention of others is not free of ego, but has an ambivalent ego that both wants and fears attention from others. The fear is that the attention may take the form of disapproval or criticism, that is to say, something that diminishes the sense of self rather than enhances it. So the shy person's fear of attention is greater than his or her need of attention. Shyness often goes with a selfconcept that is predominantly negative, the belief of being inadequate. Any conceptual sense of self – seeing myself as this or that is ego, whether predominantly positive (I am the greatest) or negative (I am no good). Behind every positive selfconcept is the hidden fear of not being good enough. Behind every negative selfconcept its the hidden desire of being the greatest or better than others. Behind the confident ego's feeling of and continuing need for superiority is the unconscious fear of inferiority. Conversely, the shy, inadequate ego that feels inferior has a strong hidden desire for superiority. Many people fluctuate between feelings of inferiority and superiority, depending on situations or the people they come into contact with. All you need to know and observe in yourself is this: whenever you feel superior or inferior to anyone, that's the ego in you.
mranxious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

So what does that book advise a person to do?
Old 07-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, I'm curious what he advises also. I saw some YouTube video of him talking and he seemed like he was in a trance. Too much meditation?

But what he says is similar to toxic shame - the feeling of being rejected for who you are in childhood, and then your ego tries to compensate by overachievement, or if that's not possible, you think you're the worst person on the planet. To treat toxic shame, you need to reexperience those original feelings of shame and abandonment, instead of running away from them, and heal them. The Bradshaw book Healing the Shame that Binds You has a lot of exercises to do to fix the problem.

It doesn't work to try to fulfill some ego ideal - that was always my approach. I always thought if I worked hard enough I could be some kind of perfect person, and everyone would like me. But it's narcissism, and is not based on real emotion, and people can sense that.
LostPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

What's the point of the book? A new earth? What happen?
Old 08-06-2010, 12:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucywu2012 View Post
What's the point of the book? A new earth? What happen?
It is a self-help book.

MrAnxious1, thanks for the link to the free edition. I'll be sure to check it out.
Neptunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sounds like Sartre for the self-help set.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

This book changed my life. It is the only spiritual self-help book out there that has worked. Tolle gets to the crux of human dysfunction. I think everyone should read it.
The material on the ego is very, very important.
Please don't be turned off by his demeanor, as some people have. He has a lot of wisdom and insight to share that may totally be transformative for you. I've seen him speak on a DVD and listened to various CD's as well as read the book.

I am not my past. I am not my anxiety, nor depression. I am not my gender, or color, or social status, or occupation title, or any other label. I am not my story.
OregonMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

I read this maybe about 2 years ago, i got what he was talking about but found it difficult to apply and got confused in the way eckhart talks.Then a few days ago i just had some weird compulsion to read it again and well i did, now i understand everything.

Amazing..everyone has to read it.
Hamtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

This book is incredible. I haven't even finished it and it has already changed me fundamentally.

I can't even explain it because I'm still absorbing it, but I'd highly recommend it.

This isn't a self-help book and it's not a book to cure SA. It's a LIFE BOOK, a book that I'd put among a very small list of books that people need to read in order to lead better lives.

By default this will help you with your SA, undoubtedly, but it will do much more than that too.

“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”
"I have something more important than courage. I have patience. I will become what I know I am."
"The temptation to quit is greatest when you are about to succeed."
"Don't Give Up..."

ReincarnatedRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

fantastic book !
ASAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

Wouldn't call it a self help book. It is way deeper than that.

Basically, people with SA are completely identified with their egos (minds or who we call "I"). That is why we are constantly thinking and have a non-stop inner dialogue. This book tries to get you to completely differentiate yourself from you ego. Also, it talks about being in the present moment, the "now". Anxiety is fear of the future and if you are always in the "now" you cannot have anxiety right? Because anxiety is fear of what will happen in the future (for the most part). Same with depression and the past
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:12 AM   #12 (permalink)

If anyone has read Power of Now Power as well as this, what's the difference?
I've read a bit of Power of Now but never finished it. By the sound of these reviews I think I'm going to get started on A New Earth.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:28 AM   #13 (permalink)

I prefer New Earth to Power of Now.

The way I see it, PoN is more of a Q&A type session that almost relies on the reader already having a basic understanding of Eckhart's teachings. On the other hand, NE is a book more tailored for beginners and people that are completely new to Eckhart. NE has a more linear, step by step, detailed narrative that really appealed to me.

I'd recommend people to read NE first and then if they need more or just *want* more information, continue with PoN and other related books. But NE seems enough on it's own. It's really helped me out quite a bit.

“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”
"I have something more important than courage. I have patience. I will become what I know I am."
"The temptation to quit is greatest when you are about to succeed."
"Don't Give Up..."

ReincarnatedRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

Interesting that New Earth is suited for beginners considering PoN was written first. I'll read it after I get through Psycho Cybernetics which so far seems to be a good read.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #15 (permalink)

I read the book based on some of the comments here. At one point I almost wanted to dismiss it because much of it is just bringing older ideas (from Buddhism, the Bible, Gnostic beliefs, Sartre) together, but I realized that he'd taken several disconnected viewpoints and mashed them into a useful framework for life. I think it's made me put a little more thought into the ways we choose to be unhappy when we don't need to be.
persona non grata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:35 AM   #16 (permalink)

Praise the Lord! Alleluia! God bless Buddha!

Anyone reading this thread now ....listen to all the positive vibes about Eckhart Tolle......I liked Power of Now..and loved ...absolutely loved A New Earth.....I've read a lot of books on these themes but what I like about Tolle is...he crystallises everything...brings all the religious, spiritual, psychological, scientific and philosophical perspectives together and really spells it out so you "get it". People who don't like Tolle don't "get it".........thinking is OK but its over-rated and gets us in trouble more often than not...we need to get to the next level in order to evolve as a species...that's why this book is so important...our future is at stake.....
humourless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #17 (permalink)

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by humourless View Post
Praise the Lord! Alleluia! God bless Buddha!

........thinking is OK but its over-rated and gets us in trouble more often than not...we need to get to the next level in order to evolve as a species...that's why this book is so important...our future is at stake.....
You write " we need to get to the next level" ...ah, what would that be ? The stage of enlightenment ? What comes after thinking ?

And regarding evolving as a species...I think most people with SA and other psychological problems have other things to worry about...such as being able to leave the house, getting a job, getting a partner etc.

I have started reading the book but don't know if should finish it, too much New Age mumbo jumbo for me at times.
PetePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetePain View Post
You write " we need to get to the next level" ...ah, what would that be ? The stage of enlightenment ? What comes after thinking ?

And regarding evolving as a species...I think most people with SA and other psychological problems have other things to worry about...such as being able to leave the house, getting a job, getting a partner etc.

I have started reading the book but don't know if should finish it, too much New Age mumbo jumbo for me at times.
You have it completely wrong! the poster above you made an amazingly well-written post. You are so identified with your mind that you are having trouble stepping back and seeing the big picture. I encourage you to keep reading. I am 100% sure that a cure for SA lies in this book, it's all a matter of "getting it". And I have had flashes of "getting it" and it feels unbelievable! But I need to continue applying it to my life, which is hard because you can't use your mind to help you do it, it's the exact opposite of your mind.

The teachings of this book are harder for people with SA to understand than any other type person, but according to Tolle himself, when we do "get it" it will be that much better, and affect our lives that much more.

I'll tell you though, read it with a closed, skeptical mind and you will get nothing from it. In fact, if you have that attitude towards life in general you will get nothing out of life, everything will be a challenge... and you will probably never be free from SA.
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:46 AM   #19 (permalink)

So beyond supporting some form of mindfulness, is there anything else to this book?

Sounds like it gives you that philisophical/sophist buzz you get when you read something very well put together - before you look further into it and realise how deeply flawed it is. Not that being flawed makes it any less good.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:36 AM   #20 (permalink)

Let me know if you see any flaws...haven't noticed any yet...
humourless is offline   Reply With Quote