Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Nutrition, Supplements and Exercise

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Where People Live to be 100 and More

A new book out (discussed on THE SPLENDID TABLE/NPR) called THE BLUE ZONES highlights where people regularly live over 100 yrs of age. They are small areas of Italy, Costa Rica, Okinawa and Loma Linda, CA. All these people have a similar PLANT-BASED diet, eating meat/fish sparingly. They also have a few close friends who they regularly interact with. The place in Italy drinks a wine that has 5 times the anti-oxidants of other wine. The people in Loma Linda are exclusively 7th Day Adventist and eat nuts and vegetable based diet (read "biblical-based) It was really an informative piece.

www.splendidtable.org
Old 06-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Interesting. I know a guy from when I was a kid who is still running marathons in his late 80's. The only thing I remember about him that stood out was that he had his own honey bee farm and raised/sold his own honey. He showed us how to eat the honey comb when we visited and let us watch him get stung by a bee on purpose. I don't know if that had anything to do with his health... probably more to do with all the running, but really good honey would give you that fuel you needed to keep at it like that.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Im pretty sure its antioxidants that make you live longer. As far as dropping junk food/alcohol/weed/etc. I wouldn't give it up. As Winston Churchill would say, the people that don't smoke or eat unhealthy don't live twice as long, life just goes by twice as slow. Something like that haha.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

I also read that the Okinawans' diet also has a much lower caloric density than average while remaining nutrition-dense. I guess other books that might be of interest are those that pertain to this principle, thought (and largely proven, at least when it comes to improving the 'biomarkers' for longevity) to slow the aging process.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

less calorie dense and more nutrition dense? wow. fat = 9 calories, protein = 4 calories, carbs = 4 calories (macro)

There is no "magical" diet.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warcraft View Post
less calorie dense and more nutrition dense? wow. fat = 9 calories, protein = 4 calories, carbs = 4 calories (macro)

Ever heard of something called fiber? As you get older you will realize that being "cool" and being a smartass is really bad for your health, not to mention it makes you look dumb.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:

Last I checked vitamins were nutrients too. :P Nutrient-dense diets are just common sense.

Papers:
http://www.hsph.jp/JT/documents/Calo...hy%20Aging.pdf or summary http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum
Old 06-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

^Yeah Chrystalline. It's simply nutritional economics. Why spend/eat 400 calories if you can get the same nutritional value with 200. If this is your strategy you have to get more fruits and veggies in there to make it work. All this is so exciting to me because of the improvement in my general health and stamina. Are you Okinawan btw?
Old 06-06-2009, 05:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairleighCalm View Post
^Yeah Chrystalline. It's simply nutritional economics. Why spend/eat 400 calories if you can get the same nutritional value with 200. If this is your strategy you have to get more fruits and veggies in there to make it work. All this is so exciting to me because of the improvement in my general health and stamina. Are you Okinawan btw?
Oh, no, but I've been interested in these studies since I read about them a few years back. I've gradually applied some of the principles to my own eating and found that I have more energy and a better mood overall
Old 06-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

I heard about this a while ago.

I live by Loma Linda and my doctors growing up were from Loma Linda.

BTW, the Okinowan thing is older and they were both on Operah.

No, I don't watch Operah I see commercials and my mom tells me about it.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Needs more reasarch. A lot of people who regularly live to be the oldest tend to smoke and/or drink excessively so it could be genetics alone.
But what exactly is social anxiety? It’s the experience of apprehension or worry that arises from the possibility, either real or imagined, that one will be evaluated or judged in some manner by others.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwjack View Post
Needs more reasarch. A lot of people who regularly live to be the oldest tend to smoke and/or drink excessively so it could be genetics alone.
This is drawing a conclusion based on an extreme. There will always be rare exceptions but as a whole it's pretty well established that colon cancer and obesity are pushing down the average life expectancy, just because a few people lived past 90 years old eating a diet exclusively of bacon and vodka isn't an indicator that diet doesn't matter.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

I've seen some college studies that showed rats would only get sick from smoking if they didn't have a diet high in vitamin A, because smoking apparently caused a vitamin A deficiency. Had nothing to do with genetics there as all the rats shared the same genetic history.

And a nutrient rich diet is common sense because the only way to get those nutrients without causing problems or atrophy to other very important parts of your body like your digestive system is to eat "nutrient rich". The typical American diet is more rich in unhealthy fats and "empty" refined sugar or refined wheat calories then anything else. If you learn how the body works you will understand why that is bad for you. I've even heard of plenty of body builders ending up in the hospital to have their bowels "un-impacted" because they got lazy and started drinking too many protein shakes without including fiber.

It's like with computers - if you put in the time to actually figure out how the entire system works, you can understand pretty much anything that is happening to your system and fix it easily. If you don't understand how computer systems work though, you will end up getting ripped off paying for security software that you don't really need and only slows your system down, or you will get your computer full of adware/spyware until it barely runs anymore.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwjack View Post
^Um, yeah. The benefits of a plant based diet, a good support group and a purpose in life needs no further research. Maybe you'd like to change your genetics instead of your diet to improve your health? Sorry to come down hard but nay-sayers are annoying to us who actually want to try new things to improve our health.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Paine View Post
Ever heard of something called fiber? As you get older you will realize that being "cool" and being a smartass is really bad for your health, not to mention it makes you look dumb.
She said nutrition dense, that doesn't mean fiber necessarily....it could be micro nutrients or protein. Maybe you should learn to read before you reply.

Also, fiber (both soluble and insoluble) still contributes to calories and sometimes can block the absorption of micro nutrients.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalline View Post
Last I checked vitamins were nutrients too. :P Nutrient-dense diets are just common sense.

Papers:
http://www.hsph.jp/JT/documents/Calo...hy%20Aging.pdf or summary http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

Nice try but I was referring to macronutrients.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxolue View Post
Im pretty sure its antioxidants that make you live longer. As far as dropping junk food/alcohol/weed/etc. I wouldn't give it up. As Winston Churchill would say, the people that don't smoke or eat unhealthy don't live twice as long, life just goes by twice as slow. Something like that haha.

If anything, it's the western lifestyle which nutrition does play a small part of indirectly. It's more of a symptom than a cause. Most of the "long life" places are "retire" places.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

Interesting to read about - thanks for posting. I recently got rid of chicken and beef from my diet and replaced them with fruits and vegetables, which I think will keep me healthy.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solasum View Post
Interesting to read about - thanks for posting. I recently got rid of chicken and beef from my diet and replaced them with fruits and vegetables, which I think will keep me healthy.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha
Old 06-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
She said nutrition dense, that doesn't mean fiber necessarily....it could be micro nutrients or protein. Maybe you should learn to read before you reply.

Also, fiber (both soluble and insoluble) still contributes to calories and sometimes can block the absorption of micro nutrients.
She was talking about "Nutrient Rich" diets, which are naturally high in dietary fiber. The reason they are low calorie and still nutrient rich is because they are rich in nutrients like vitamins and fiber instead of things like trans-fat and high glycemic index carbs. This ends up turning any other nutrients you eat into a longer lasting form of energy by slowing down the absorption. Instead of eating something that is digested quickly then takes forever to move out of your bowels, you end up with a steady, constantly moving digestive system that is never getting clogged or damaged. This also gives you a steady uptake of nutrients throughout the day so you don't get worn out as quickly.

When your digestive system is healthy, you naturally absorb more nutrients, you keep your digestive system clean, and you don't get constipated all the time.

And the reason I called you a smartass is because of how rude your post was, and the post before that was laughing at someone without even giving an explanation. When you go around trying to make fun of people instead of trying to add to the discussion it shows something about your motives and maturity level. And who would want to take diet advice from somebody whos diet obviously isn't helping their mood?
Closed Thread