X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Nutrition, Supplements and Exercise

Old 07-25-2006, 08:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Traditional Chinese Medicine

Recently, I have been engaging in the study of numerous chinese herbal rememdies for help with my anxiety. I have noticed a HUGE change in the way I feel, so just thought I would share my results with the sufferers on this board.

Here are the different formula comibinations I have been using:

-Wen Dan Tang
-Chai Hu Long Gu Mu Li
-Jia Wei Xiao Yao
-Long Dan Xie Gan
-Tian Wang Bu Xin

If you need any help in regards to getting on the correct chinese formula, contact me, I'd be glad to help.

Each one of these remedies can be found online at http://www.acu-market.com/

IMO, chinese medicine has been the most successful treatment for me thus far. I have been on numerous anti-depressants in the past, aswell as taken a LOT of CBT sessions. TCM has brought my anxiety level down to a 1-2 from where I used to be at 9-10. I no longer react to situations as my former self used to, and no longer anticipate things. As far as social anxiety there is still some there, however I think this has more to do with personal struggles and demons from my past.

OVerall tho, I would say that I'm honestly 80-90% better. TCM also states that there is a high CURE rate among mental disorders, and I need to wait atleast 2-3 more months until I can say that I have been 'cured'.

On an ending note, I would urge each and every person here who struggles with anxiety to try out this route of treatment.

Good luck to all, keep me posted on your progess.

EDIT: 1 important thing I would like to add, just because western medicine has no cure for specific ailments, this doesnt mean that a cure does not lie elsewhere in the world. Chinese medicine has been used for thousands of years, and has a high success rate.
pjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

This sounds interesting. But i suppose it depends on the severity of anxiety? I personally don't leave the house much and when i do im overcome with severe anxiety and tense feelings the second i step out the door.

How would you say that this medicine helped your thoughts, and behaviour? OR does it simply reduce nervousness?

I see you're from Toronto!

funkypresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hey funky,

If that is the case then these medicines are meant moreso for people like you. I USED to be that way aswell, intense free floating anxiety as soon as I stepped in the car to go somewhere. However, these feelings have slowly subsided with the use of these medicines and I can look back a few months and laugh at how weird I used to feel.

The transiiton I have made has been incredible. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you start taking TCM. The formulas I suggested earlier will definitely make a huge difference, guaranteed.

Trust me.. I too was skeptical at first but its almost as if a miracle has taken place. Life for me now seems exciting, mind you I still have a lot of issues to deal with like my self image and certain social hangups but other than that my anxiety is pretty much non-pathological now.

Yeah, im in the Greater Toronto Area.. small world

What part of TO are you at?

Regards
Old 07-26-2006, 01:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

That does sound interesting, i'll have to keep this in mind and hopefully soon visit a naturopath.

Im from the the west part of the GTA.

Yourself?

Old 07-26-2006, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Glad to hear you're feeling well.

What sort of study is this? (Pilot study, double-blinded, randomized clinical trial, etc?) When will the results be published?

Papa's little helpers: Parnate 90 mg, Adderall 30 mg, Lamictal 300 mg, Xanax prn
Caedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm glad Chinese medicine has helped you. Did you work out what to take on your own? If so wouldn't it be better to check with a practitioner first?
I had acupuncture, cupping and Chinese medicine for insomnia & it worked while I was going in for appointments. I never tried it for anxiety yet though... you've now reminded me to give it a go. Thanks for telling everybody about it... it may help someone.
lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hey guys, sorry its taken me a little bit long to respond.. work has been pretty hectic lately. Lilly, I actually went through a free online consultation with a TCM doctor whom I found online at a TCM message forum. He asked me what my symptoms were and then listed me a bunch of differente formulas and said to try them all until I found the right one.

I have listed them above in my first post.. Acupuncture is supposed to work wonders on mood disorders by itself however I have a problem with going into a clinic and getting needles stuck into me. I may consider going through an acupuncture session down the road however..

I think you should seriously consider it for your anxiety disorder, just the fact that TCM was able to help you in another area proves that it agrees with your system. Good luck and let me know how things are coming, would be nice to hear some positive results!

Take care
Old 07-27-2006, 03:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks pj - I'm glad you had a consultation first. Thing is Chinese Medicine consultations are so expensive here I'd have to wait a while or win tatslotto I think! :0) You don't get much back here on health insurance either but I will remember TCM as an option.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default check out an acupuncture school

Lilly,
Acupuncture schools are much, much less expensive. I go to one here in Los Angeles where I live and it's fabulous. I've gotten better care and more attention at the school than at private TCM offices. An hour session is only $30. The herbs can add up ($$)though, but you can always shop around once you know what herbs work for you.

Take care of you! You're worth it!!!

Renee
butterflygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks butterflygirl - I had never even thought of that idea before. I'll have to see if they have that kind of service in Melbourne.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Just got my Wen Dan Tang in the mail. I'll tell you guys/girls how it goes. It's also cheaper to order it on maxnature.com
b18c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Hey guys, thought before I crash tonight i'd post this useful site link on Wen Dan Tang and psychiatry:

'Gong Ding-xianí»s Use of Wen Dan Tang in the Treatment of Psychiatric Disorders'
http://mededucation.bjmu.edu.cn/Miscell ... .asp?id=65

----------------------

Other related articles:

'Phobic Disorders & Chinese Medicine'
http://mededucation.bjmu.edu.cn/miscell ... .asp?id=81

'A Chinese Medicinal Protocol for Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)'
http://mededucation.bjmu.edu.cn/miscell ... .asp?id=57

Will post some more on this thread tomorrow,

Gnite all!
Old 07-28-2006, 11:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks for the useful links!

Old 08-06-2006, 03:34 AM   #14 (permalink)

Please keep us up to date. I just moved out to LA and am looking for Chinese Herbs for my anxiety as well.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:32 AM   #15 (permalink)

is this stuff expensive?
jakejohnson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:25 AM   #16 (permalink)

Interesting, i hope you keep us posted. I tried TCM for many years in relation to bronchial issues. I would say that there was a mild therapeutic effect but it never lasted more than a few hours for each herbal package. I was also told that my condition could be cured by TCM but that proved to be an overstatement. Since it is not covered by health insurance i stopped and resumed conventional treatments.

I never thought to explore the potential of TCM for psychological disorders though, so i hope it proves valuable for you.
bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:29 AM   #17 (permalink)

Default Interesting!

After searching the internet after many years of having my "problem" I think I can safely say that what I suffer from is "Social Anxiety Disorder".

I am in my mid 40's now, male and I can remember as far back as 6 years old suffering the same feelings everytime I am to deal with social situations. This is really the first time I seriously decided to see if I can do something about this. I always blush, sweat, heart beating super fast etc when in any social situation. Sometimes it's ok, maybe 10% of the time.

I have never told anyone about this but it has caused me to not do as well as I should in my career due to "shying" away from anything that would require me to talk in public etc.. (you all know if ur here).

I am not sure if Chinese TM is for me but if it does no harm I am willing to give it a try for sure.

Just not sure if I should go with the list that was mentioned in the beginning of this thread? Perhaps I need something slightly different. How would I know?

Does anyone have insites in how to determine what the best combination is given what I have mentioned here?

thanks so much!
lanyards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

I have become interested in TCM as well as orthomolecular medicine. I believe both can help, but to what extent? I had to get off the drugs bc the side effects were too bad and they make me reckless and cold hearted.
I think you all need to watch where u get your TCM medicines from as some of them may be laced with heavy metals.

I look forward to more posts on TCM! I will also provide me feedback if my current orthomolecular approach does not work.
bruno2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #19 (permalink)

pjmc,

I know your posts were from back in 2006, but I'm wondering if you are still active on the forum and could tell us how the Chinese herbs ended up working for you. I started Chinese herbs 3 days ago. It's too early to see a difference, but I have a follow-up appointment with the TCM practitioner who prescribed them to me this weekend. I'm wondering how long it took you to feel a difference in your anxiety? And did it end up helping you with your social anxiety?
Gwen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #20 (permalink)

pjmc,

you listed five formulas... did you go one-by-one until you found what works or do you use all in combination?
csrpj is offline   Reply With Quote