Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

St. Johns Wort

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  poot 
#1 ·
Anyone use it/tried it ?

Any good ?

#2 ·
hey buddy, I just bought it two days ago and it seems to be working really well. I bought it along with Valerian and I've been very pleased with the result. I was worried at first it was a placebo effect but that does not seem to be the case. I can feel it working. Perhaps I'm a little drowsy with the two natural supplements but I feel a hell of a lot more relaxed. The best part is, they are natural so you can buy how ever many you want at your local vitamin shop for a small price. The recommended dosage is 1-3 capsules but I've been taking ~5. It seems like it takes about 30minutes to 1hour for it to kick in.

I'm also taking Prozac and from what I've read, St Johns Wort and an SSRI can enhance the effects of each other. Anyways....taking something that is effective, natural, cheap, and available outside of a pharmacy is great. why not try it and see for yourself :D

edit: on the bottles it says....
St Johns Wort---promotes positive mood
Valerian---promotes rest and relaxation

I know its early but I will keep the board updated....I'm very optimistic:)

#5 ·
Didn't work for me and the only thing I really felt was that feeling that you might get when you're coming off and SSRI. I felt a little uneasy and maybe slightly more anxious. As people suggested I gave it 6 weeks to take effect; but noticed no change.

Recently, I started using valerian root for my anxiety and it's the only herbal product that has had an effect on me. Not sure of the brand, it was just something I picked up at the grocery store one day since it was on sale.

Reminds me a bit of ativan...instant effect and makes me a bit more mellow. The best part is that its a take as needed thing so I'm not always having to remember if I took it or not and I don't have to take it all the time. Works out to be slightly cheaper than SJW too. Just smells 'slightly' worse... :p

#6 ·
Didn't work for me and the only thing I really felt was that feeling that you might get when you're coming off and SSRI. I felt a little uneasy and maybe slightly more anxious. As people suggested I gave it 6 weeks to take effect; but noticed no change.

Recently, I started using valerian root for my anxiety and it's the only herbal product that has had an effect on me. Not sure of the brand, it was just something I picked up at the grocery store one day since it was on sale.

Reminds me a bit of ativan...instant effect and makes me a bit more mellow. The best part is that its a take as needed thing so I'm not always having to remember if I took it or not and I don't have to take it all the time. Works out to be slightly cheaper than SJW too. Just smells 'slightly' worse... :p
Perhaps the Valerian root is doing the good work then. I'm noticeabley relaxed and a little drowsy. Either way it seems to be working.

#9 ·
Perhaps a little tired but I think any medicine that is supposed to help anxiety will be somewhat sedating because thats how it makes you relaxed. I feel great on it. My sleep is better too. I can't believe my psychiatrist didn't suggest Valerian.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.