X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Nutrition, Supplements and Exercise

Old 11-06-2007, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Omega 3

What has been everybody's experiences with omega 3? I've been taking about 3.4 grams per day for about two weeks, and I have to say I am much more sociable and less depressed.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Omega 3

Hello. I started taking omega 3 when I stopped ssri's. It helped get me over the drug. My depression has lifted with omega 3 but it took awhile and dedicated use. It has done nothing for my anxiety. I think fish oils are a good thing for depression but effects take some time. There are very good reports on their health benefits.
mcnabj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

I take omega 3s every day. I think they help my depression *a little* but mainly help me to think clearer, which is something I need.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

How much do you guys take? I find you have to take around 3000mg (3 grams) for effect.

It definitely eases depression, but also takes some edge off anxiety. I'm not saying it kills it, but I am definitely naturally holding eye contact with people much longer. In fact I'm finding eye contact is kind of it's own mode of communication.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

I take about 4000mg of fish oil concentrate a day. I think I may need more but it makes my face oily. I spit the dose up to two times a day with some food.
mcnabj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

I only take 1,000 a day, or one pill. I probably should take more to see if I get a better effect.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutHolder
I only take 1,000 a day, or one pill. I probably should take more to see if I get a better effect.
You definitely should!

Other problems with the supplement might be:
1. Not in glass bottle (glass prevents oxygen breaking down the oil)
2. Not kept refridgerated

Anybody else have any experience with omega3?
Old 11-15-2007, 07:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

I take it because I still hold the belief that it helps me grow more brain cells to remember how to socialize.
maninthemiddle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
X33

-
X33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag
ok, I just read literature on fish oil and mood disorders. It said that 1g of EPA is optimal. In one of the studies, subjects given 1g of EPA daily for 3 months showed ~50% reduction in depression and also impovement in anxiety. 2g and 4g of EPA/day did not produce results better than placebo.
In another study, subjects given 1g of DHA for some time showed no improvement. So apparently, DHA is irrelevant.
I wouldn't worry too much about getting exact dosage. The 1g EPA is just one study; numerous other studies use standard fish oil extract (with about equal EPA/DHA) and up to 9g/day of it with positive results. Personally I use 3.4 g/day of fish oil (DHA and EPA) with promising results. I'm working on collating all the omega 3 studies, but here is an APA review paper that does about the same thing: http://www.biovita.fi/suomi/pdf/APA_2006.pdf
Old 11-24-2007, 08:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
X33

-
X33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:09 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag
Quote:
Originally Posted by shy1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag
ok, I just read literature on fish oil and mood disorders. It said that 1g of EPA is optimal. In one of the studies, subjects given 1g of EPA daily for 3 months showed ~50% reduction in depression and also impovement in anxiety. 2g and 4g of EPA/day did not produce results better than placebo.
In another study, subjects given 1g of DHA for some time showed no improvement. So apparently, DHA is irrelevant.
I wouldn't worry too much about getting exact dosage. The 1g EPA is just one study; numerous other studies use standard fish oil extract (with about equal EPA/DHA) and up to 9g/day of it with positive results. Personally I use 3.4 g/day of fish oil (DHA and EPA) with promising results. I'm working on collating all the omega 3 studies, but here is an APA review paper that does about the same thing: http://www.biovita.fi/suomi/pdf/APA_2006.pdf
Does it help you with SA + depression or depression only? I have read little about fish oil effect on anxiety. It mainly seems to be for depression.
Google "social anxiety" "omega 3" like that. There are a few studies floating around that speak specifically to anxiety and one or two to SA.

It's hard to answer your question since I've never had too much of a problem with depression.

After having been on it for about 6 weeks I would say it takes SA down by about 30-40%. There is definitely still anxiety. However, I find that I am spontaneously making eye contact and smiling upon meeting new people (like a waiter at a restaurant), something I have never done. I am more talkative around family and the few close friends I have.

Also, full effects might not be seen till 12 weeks or so as it slowly incorporates into the brain.

I definitely will continue to take it.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:00 AM   #13 (permalink)

i have been taking omega 3 fish oils for about 2 years now. I love seafood but i dont really buy and cook nowhere near the amount of fish we are all supposed to eat in a week (3-4 servings a week). I buy salmon oil capsules that claim it comes from deep cold water sources like alaska. Also, i take flax seed oil capsules Plus COD LIVER OIL CAPS. There has been a general improvement in my mental clarity...less brain ''fogginess''...more alert. Everyday i take my omega 3's and my vitamins that are also helpful for energy and mood= b12, b5, C, e, zinc and magnesium. Its important to mention....eat good foods everyday (dont eat unhealthy and then take vitamins only) , cut out excess sugars, soda pops and fatty fried foods. Our body and mind (brain) needs good nourishment....feed it c*r*ap, you will feel like c*r*a*p.!
take_no_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:00 AM   #14 (permalink)

There was a British trial that was using omega 3 to control ADHD. They where giving children up to 7 1000mg a day. Way to much, but I take about 4 and it helps with social as well as intellectual problems.
zedsonata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

does anyone know what epa/dha amounts are in a 213 g can of salmon. there is a little over 6 g of omega 3 in a can, but i cant find the epa/dha amounts?

and do omega 3's stay in your blood long?
foggydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:51 AM   #16 (permalink)

Arrow Re: Omega 3

The combination of Omega-3, Magnesium and L-Lysine has given me my life back. I have bouts with Anxiety, and with the fact that agorophobia and anxiety run in both sides of my family, I am a target for panic. My last "flareup" lasted several months and I hate taking Xanax or any other calmers that are sometimes necessary. I started taking Magnesium (due to my own research and its migraine prevention value) and Omega-3 (at the recomendation of a GREAT nutritionist, Elena Mauceri http://www.quick-weightloss-solutions.com/ ) and I also threw L-Lysine in there (at the recommendation of a Neurologist, to keep an Epstein-Barr virus at bay). This combination seems to work great for me. It takes a little time and a lot of dedication, but it is a miracle for me!
chixor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:09 PM   #17 (permalink)

I finally found some fish oil omega 3 pills that are swallowable size!
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Tried carrying the weight of the world, but I only have two hands... So wake me up when I'm older, when I'm wiser and I'm older
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:45 PM   #18 (permalink)

I find that when I take Omega-3 capsules, my breath has a fishy smell. I know they also sell odorless ones, which I don't have yet. I just pray that none of the hot SAS girls read this post, LOL.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #19 (permalink)

I started taking Omega-3 yesterday after reading about its effects on depression and anxiety. It's still pretty early of course, but I felt more energetic and focused yesterday than usual, so hopefully this will continue. I still kind of am like that today too, though less so. I take 1 pill a day (1000 mg), cause I can't afford to buy a new bottle every month, plus I have oily skin and don't want to agitate it even more.
missem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

i bought some omega-3s in flax capsules today (maybe get those if you don't want that fishy taste). what dose has been beneficial for those who take it and have seen results? i've read 1-3mg but i'd like to hear about personal experiences first. (would it make a difference that i'm a small person?)
nothing to fear is offline   Reply With Quote