X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Nutrition, Supplements and Exercise

Old 04-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default melatonin

I have been using melatonin at night instead of taking a clonazepam (klonopin) so I can relax and sleep. The thing I notice about it is I wake up feeling more rested and I wake up earlier and don't feel all "doped up".

Several years ago I took it for a short time, but taking it at night has paid off well. At first I bought these strips online but ran out so I get them (the melatonin pills) over the counter at Wal-Mart.

I think it is a good start to get me off that night time clonazepam and less dependent on it unless absolutely necessary. I took it before I checked with my GP which was not really wise but yesterday when I went in to check my thyroid she said it wasn't a problem.

Does anyone else take melatonin and has it helped you get off benzos or take less of it? I am so glad there is something that works.

If you are thinking about taking melatonin talk to the doc before you do if you take other meds.
"A simple man believes everything he hears; a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15-The New English Bible
'O the depth of God's richness and wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable his judgements are and past tracing out his ways are!'-Romans 11:33
Anxiety75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Melatonin

I tried it, it seemed to help my sleep, but made me a bit restless at first, not sure if it was the supplement company or the product itself? I hope you do well with it though!
nicholas1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

I also take clonazepam at night for sleep/anxiety and I agree it causes alot of next day grogginess.

Were you taking the clonazepam every night, or only occasionally? Coz I'm sure your aware that it's not a good idea to stop any benzo cold turkey if you use it on a daily basis.

I guess what it comes down to is half life, melatonin only stays in your body for an hour or so, whereas clonazepam stays in the system for about 20-50 hours. So less of a hangover can be expected with melatonin.
jim_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

How much melatonin do you take? I took 3mg for awhile, stopped, and then started up again several years later. At first, I see a notable improvement, but the effect wears off within just a few weeks. And this is while taking prescription sleep aids as well, and occassionaly a benzo. I try not to do the xanax at night too often, but once or twice a week, I'll take half of my regular dose if I feel I need it.
If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days.

~Sylvia Plath
Catlover4100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlover4100 View Post
How much melatonin do you take? I took 3mg for awhile, stopped, and then started up again several years later. At first, I see a notable improvement, but the effect wears off within just a few weeks. And this is while taking prescription sleep aids as well, and occassionaly a benzo. I try not to do the xanax at night too often, but once or twice a week, I'll take half of my regular dose if I feel I need it.
How's the Lunesta going for you Catlover?
Old 04-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

I take melatonin almost every night and it helps me sleep very well, better than anything else I've tried. However, if I don't take it then getting to sleep is extremely difficult so thats a bit of a downside to it. No other bad side effects though. Its good stuff.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_morrison View Post
How's the Lunesta going for you Catlover?
Well, it's... going:P I'm still waking up during the night quite a bit, but I'm having less trouble getting to sleep. And it's not as sedative as the ambien was, so there's no groggy feeling the next day, that's definitely a plus. I definitely find that when I take a nap (aka fall asleep while doing something monotonous from sheer exhaustion), I sleep right through that and wake up more refreshed feeling. But I'll take what I can get I also meditate before bed, wear earplugs, and wear an eye mask. You would think that with all of that stuff, I'd be able to sleep!
If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days.

~Sylvia Plath
Old 04-17-2010, 07:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlover4100 View Post
Well, it's... going:P I'm still waking up during the night quite a bit, but I'm having less trouble getting to sleep. And it's not as sedative as the ambien was, so there's no groggy feeling the next day, that's definitely a plus. I definitely find that when I take a nap (aka fall asleep while doing something monotonous from sheer exhaustion), I sleep right through that and wake up more refreshed feeling. But I'll take what I can get I also meditate before bed, wear earplugs, and wear an eye mask. You would think that with all of that stuff, I'd be able to sleep!
Speaking of meditating, I sometimes watch instructional massage videos on youtube before going to bed, and that puts me in a more relaxed state of mind, especially the videos by lita, she has a very soothing and calming voice. Sounds silly I know lol.
If possible avoiding drinking too much water/fluid before bed can help too, since you'll avoid atleast one major reason to wake up during the night.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

I buy Melatonin Plus Schiff brand which is 3 mg. Melatonin and 25 mg. Theanine. This has helped with sleep for awhile, but like you say, wears off. But Melatonin also has a spot of Serotonin in it, for neurotransmitters.
For going to sleep, Calcium-Magnesium combo. worked wonders. For years, this helped.
I guess I got more stressed out, because still can't sleep well. I went on Atarax the last few months.

I am not my past. I am not my anxiety, nor depression. I am not my gender, or color, or social status, or occupation title, or any other label. I am not my story.
OregonMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonMommy View Post
I buy Melatonin Plus Schiff brand which is 3 mg. Melatonin and 25 mg. Theanine. This has helped with sleep for awhile, but like you say, wears off. But Melatonin also has a spot of Serotonin in it, for neurotransmitters.
For going to sleep, Calcium-Magnesium combo. worked wonders. For years, this helped.
I guess I got more stressed out, because still can't sleep well. I went on Atarax the last few months.
Calcium-magnesium, you say? Hmm, I'll have to try that.

~Sylvia Plath
Old 04-18-2010, 11:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

Melatonin works even in half-tablet (1.5mg) for me unless I have really bad anxiety.
Other than that, Paxil is enough to put me to sleep, and make me groggy the next day. I drink caffeine like it is going out of style just to stay awake it seems. If I decrease the dose, I immediately see the effects of the caffeine being too much.
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
millenniumman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:34 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumman75 View Post
Melatonin works even in half-tablet (1.5mg) for me unless I have really bad anxiety.
Other than that, Paxil is enough to put me to sleep, and make me groggy the next day. I drink caffeine like it is going out of style just to stay awake it seems. If I decrease the dose, I immediately see the effects of the caffeine being too much.
Do you take paxil before bed? It's odd, I used to take it in the morning back when I was on it and it would still give me insomnia at night. I guess it works differently for everyone though.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:29 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_morrison View Post
Do you take paxil before bed? It's odd, I used to take it in the morning back when I was on it and it would still give me insomnia at night. I guess it works differently for everyone though.
Yep, I take my Paxil at bedtime. I just know that it doesn't keep me up.
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
millenniumman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

I used to take melatonin to help me sleep when I worked nights. I'm not sure if it was a direct result of my taking it but I would always feel exhausted when I was awake and never feel properly rested. I'd also get this weird thing where I'd started dreaming before a fell asleep, I know it sounds strange but it's hard to explain. Personally I'd never take it again, it didn't help all that much and I didn't like what it did to me.
Steve123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #15 (permalink)

Steve123 - I know what you mean. I'd often get that feeling when taking Melatonin. It felt like having night terrors, except...not terrifying. Also sometimes I felt like it exacerbated a bit of anxiety. I would usually end up taking it after a few days of drinking every night though, so that doesn't help.

I found this thread by searching whether it was dangerous to take Melatonin (5mg) while on Klonopin (Clonazepam 0.5mg). Can anyone answer that for me?
maikaimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

1mg. melatonin works great for me.
Lacking Serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #17 (permalink)

Default confused and sleepy

Well, I take the MAX amount of klonopin and......I still get interrupted sleep, I also take homeopathic supplements for sleep but they cost an arm and a leg. I do the whole, no TV or any lit screen. I have night lights so that I can have minimum light before I go to bed. I use sleepytime tea, milk, warm fluffy blankets, memory foam bed and pillow, and I still have trouble sleeping. I know WebMD is like DO NOT EVER TAKE KLONOPIN AND MELETONIN, EVAAR! But sometimes I wake up at 3 AM and I am awake, and cant touch the bed. Also, benadryl makes me soo hyper, I cant even control myself. The max of klonopin is the longest lasting (5 hours) of good sleep but after that Im shufflin, redoing the bed, going pee, getting a glass of water......funny part is, I am a very very petite person. I am wondering if meletonin would maybe help out.
horse tranquilizers? joking!
GAD123 is offline   Reply With Quote