Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Nutrition, Supplements and Exercise

Like Tree2 Liked Posts

Old 12-08-2007, 09:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default magnesium supplements?

Hi,
I need some information on magnesium supplements. I think they can help for muscle tension. I am planning on buying magnesium citrate. How much is appropriate? Does the body absorb all of that magnesium or should I take more to adjust?

Thanks in advance...
Old 12-10-2007, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
X33

Default Re: magnesium supplements?

I actually read a study quite a while back on Mg + Vit. B6. It supposedly helps with shyness in some children. But it looks like you want to take it for muscle tension. I am not sure about the dosages but overdoing Mg. can cause GI problems.
X33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

thanks ag. I already bought the supplements.. they are magnesium silicate. The RDA for magnesium is 400 mg and my pills are the same. I don't think thats overdose right along with magnesium in my food?
Old 12-12-2007, 01:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
X33

I think you should be ok. The upper limit for Mg is quite high.
X33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

HOw's it working for you?

It's the government's way of trying to protect you from protecting yourself.
Beggiatoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am confused here. Isnt Magnesium citrate a laxative for clearing your bowels? I have taken it before because I had a pancreatitus attack, and It had me on the toilet for like a day
NJexplorer313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

I take some sort of magnesium... 500 mg a day. I'm pretty sure it's safe cause I've checked the amounts of everything I take well. I just take it because it helps antioxidants work better... or so they say.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

OK, I just bought some 500MG Magnesium tablets as well. I will be taking these with my Centrum Multi vit, and Fish Oil.
NJexplorer313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Why all these different forms of Magnesium? Which one specifically helps anxiety???
Malfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Magnesium in an important intracellular ion. That said, it's very important in the body. I looked up some articles that stated that chronic mag. deficiencies have been shown to cause mitral valve prolapse, muscle tension or general muscle pain and heavy set anxiety. Anyone here suffer from those things?

One of the ways magnesium works is by relaxing your blood vessels. This is one way it helps with anxiety. Another way is by lowering catecholamine levels in your body. In other words, it lowers stress hormones like epinephrine (Adrenaline). This is another way magnesium can help you relax. The are many other important functions in the body. I'm trying to get more information since I use this supplement myself to treat the problems stated above.

Another article by Dr. mercola (mercola.com) stated that magnesium deficiencies are common in the states and most people are unaware of this. I checked my own magnesium blood levels recently and it showed that I was deficient. So there you go.

The recommended daily dose is about 400 mg/day. If you're deficient, you'll need to intake some to counter the imbalance, then a little more to have a therapeutic effect. So if you're worried you'll be stuck in the ****ter, you'll need to take a whole lot of it to cause that effect.

The most absorbable form of magnesium in the citrate salt, or just magnesium citrate. I buy a brand from Solaray called magnesium asporotate that combines all of the best absorbable forms.

I can tell you this have done wonders for my anxiety. It's practically gone.

I hope this helps anyone...

Old 03-28-2008, 02:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Another thing I wanted to add. It makes more sense to me that anxiety and related problems are due to a deficiency of something (such as magnesium) rather than due to some unknown and unexplained mechanish.

What I like about magnesium is that it doesn't have a sedative effect on me. I don't feel drowsy or drugged as I do with anti-anxiety medication and best of all, there are no sexual side effects either.

Before I started magnesium, I was a college drop out. After starting magnesium, I've been able to complete my second year of medical school and I'm still going strong. In addition, I shy away less from social situations and people. But this is just my theory.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beggiatoa
I looked up some articles that stated that chronic mag. deficiencies have been shown to cause mitral valve prolapse, muscle tension or general muscle pain and heavy set anxiety. Anyone here suffer from those things?
Thanks for the info! I'm not sure I have mag. deficiency or not, as the anxiety for me is 100% social/when I go out. I have next to zero anxiety when at home, although I do get muscle tension and migraines. Wouldn't a person know though if they had mitral valve prolapse? This sounds serious. Is it the heart?

Quote:
The most absorbable form of magnesium in the citrate salt, or just magnesium citrate. I buy a brand from Solaray called magnesium asporotate that combines all of the best absorbable forms.
Thanks too for this. I was getting confused with all the various forms. I'll have to buy some and give it a try. How long before you notice any difference?
Malfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

I've been taking 250mg of Magnesium Citrate twice daily for the last week on top of the multivitamin I've been taking for a while. I'm not on any other medications or drugs, except for an occasional beer or three.

I haven't felt this good in years...
rancemuhamitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

I take Solaray Potassium, Magnesium, Zinc capsules everyday. I feel better when I take them.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:54 AM   #15 (permalink)

Read these

http://www.ctds.info/5_13_magnesium.html

http://george-eby-research.com/html/dep ... xiety.html

Old 04-23-2008, 09:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

Magnesium taurate is probably the best magnesium you can get. It's highly absorbed and you don't have to take as much as other forms like citrate. No gastro-problems either that I noticed. It's a little more expensive but it's well worth it. The vitamin shoppe sells some from cardiovascular research. Take 2 capsules and see how you feel. Magnesium is awesome!

"It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can GET hit and keep moving forward" - rocky balboa
Panic Prone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:26 AM   #17 (permalink)

Very interesting reg calcium deposits, i have those, but my body was not producing calcitonin by the thyroid, so my calcium was not being metabolised properly, and depositing calcium in soft tissues. I'm now on Armour, nat thyroid med, and that contains calcitonin.

Checked my magnesium supplement which not taken for ages, and it is mag oxide, not good apparently. I will try the Solgar.
bling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:55 AM   #18 (permalink)

Magnesium citrate/aspartate are some of the more absorbable forms I believe.. There is a couple more.
Wellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:56 AM   #19 (permalink)

The best site to buy supplements at is iherb.com, same day shipping and some of the best prices on the net in my opinion.. No not advertising but I buy alot there and they are rated high.
Wellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:07 AM   #20 (permalink)

http://www.calmnatural.com/magnesiumcalciumstress

This explains how we can be permantly in stress response due to lack of magnesium-
bling is offline   Reply With Quote