Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Nutrition, Supplements and Exercise

Like Tree2 Liked Posts

Old 12-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kratom, great for my anxiety.

I have fallen in love w/ Kratom. : ) I think it is worth recommending. Opiate users beware though, use in moderation to avoid addiction.

Ive been buying ground Kratom leaf, particularly the Bali and Indo strains which are known to be sedating. I have to say the anti-anxiety effects produced by kratom parallel the effects of xanax. I can take a few grams of kratom and I do not even need Xanax where I may have in other cases.

There is a wonderful site, http://thekratomforum.com/, that deals w/ the discussion of kratom use as well as links to reputable vendors.

Anyone else have experience w/ kratom?
flapjacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjacker View Post
I have fallen in love w/ Kratom. : ) I think it is worth recommending. Opiate users beware though, use in moderation to avoid addiction.

Ive been buying ground Kratom leaf, particularly the Bali and Indo strains which are known to be sedating. I have to say the anti-anxiety effects produced by kratom parallel the effects of xanax. I can take a few grams of kratom and I do not even need Xanax where I may have in other cases.

There is a wonderful site, http://thekratomforum.com/, that deals w/ the discussion of kratom use as well as links to reputable vendors.

Anyone else have experience w/ kratom?
I enjoy it, but I don't like the hangover the next day. I don't get headaches but I always feel glued to my couch.
ivankaramazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

never tried it, but have heard that there is rapid tolerance. It is something i am very interested in trying though, how long does the high and anxiety relief last? Also can the tolerance be combated by taking magnesium or something like with other kinds of opiates? And also how safe is it for your health? Because i know opiates can be quite hard on the body when they are used regularly

Sorry for all the questions
nork123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nork123 View Post
never tried it, but have heard that there is rapid tolerance. It is something i am very interested in trying though, how long does the high and anxiety relief last? Also can the tolerance be combated by taking magnesium or something like with other kinds of opiates? And also how safe is it for your health? Because i know opiates can be quite hard on the body when they are used regularly

Sorry for all the questions
NMDA antagonism caused by magnesium is probably to weak to prevent tolerance to any opiate.

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Anyone is free to PM me questions or ask my MSN adress.
crayzyMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzyMed View Post
NMDA antagonism caused by magnesium is probably to weak to prevent tolerance to any opiate.
Is there anything that would be effective? I've also read dxm can help but this probably isn't the safest option
nork123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nork123 View Post
Is there anything that would be effective? I've also read dxm can help but this probably isn't the safest option
DXM, ketamine, memantine etc..

DXM isnt that bad when used in doses around the 60mg.

-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

basically opiates man...i wanna try it already..but hey do any of you guys know if it has cross-tolerance with any other opiates? im asking because i would love to switch up drugs so i dont get tolerance built up as much get me?like 3 days kratom, 3 days oxy etc.
CallMeSomniferumPapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeSomniferumPapi View Post
basically opiates man...i wanna try it already..but hey do any of you guys know if it has cross-tolerance with any other opiates? im asking because i would love to switch up drugs so i dont get tolerance built up as much get me?like 3 days kratom, 3 days oxy etc.
That wont work.

-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Okay, a few quick comments (and warnings) from a pre-pharmacy student and someone who's familiar with these substances...

Krat. and opiates do have some cross-tolerance, but not entirely. As someone who has tried both rather heavily, I can say that there is definitely some difference in the feeling you get from each. The main alkaloid in krat., if I recall correctly, is very specific to only one opiate receptor, which happens to be the one that is responsible for the anti-depressant effect of opiates (*not* the euphoria you get from opiates, though). So, if you alternate between that and oxy, you'll likely end up dependent on the anti-depressant effect, which will come back and bite you in the arse when you run out.
In short: Your happiness will probably become addicted to these two, yes. If you run out, you'll probably crash.

As far as potentiators go (crayzyMed mentioned DXM and ketamine), I don't know about ketamine, but I've heard DXM can be used to "boost" the effects of certain psychoactives, like this one (these are called potentiators, substances that make the effects of other substances feel stronger; ex: taking opiates then drinking will make you feel more sedated). Word of caution though: DXM can cause brain damage. If you're going to use it in higher than the doses recommended by the label on the bottle, follow it with a single shot of alcohol. I'm not sure of the pharmacology on this, but I've heard time and time again that alcohol "protects" the brain from DXM.

As for health issues... I don't remember it off the top of my head and don't have the time to look it up right now, but raw leaf has a chemical in it used as heart medication of some sort. If you'd like me to, I will later. Both of those substances mentioned last roughly 4 hours.

As for closing comments that you may or may not read... Anything that induces euphoria isn't really an answer to any kind of depression/anxiety problem. Yeah, it makes your symptoms go away, but it won't fix the underlying problem. If anything, you'll find yourself even less able to function without whatever you've become dependent on, which turns into a nasty (not to mention expensive) problem. If you have to use things like that, try to use them very sparingly.
ThePolyfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

DXM wont cause any brain damage in doses used to potentiate other drugs, i also highly doubt it causes any significant braindamage in the recreational doses (eg olney's lessions) but i havent looked at all the literature.

5HT2A agonism protects against nmda antagonist induced neurotoxiticy, i didnt know about ethanol, but those things arent neceserry anyway in therapeutic doses of memantine or DXM.

-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Oh, no, in smaller potentiating doses I doubt it will (Sorry, that post was made at 7am for my time :/). I have heard of recreational doses causing brain damage (or at least, seemingly permanent cognitive impairment). As far as Olney's legions go, I don't think that DXM has been shown to do that if given orally, but whether that was in humans or rats I can't remember. As far as I know though, pretty much every dissociative type drug carries *some* risk of long term unpleasantness in larger doses.

But, to get back to the subject, yes those herbs can be very effective, but I doubt drugs - prescription or otherwise - are really going to be a permanent fix for anything people come to this board for. I guess all I'm saying is, from someone who has been there with that particular herb, just be careful and you should be fine.
ThePolyfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

Anybody have any good recipes for masking the taste of kratom powder? I tried it in a smoothie the other day and it was alright, but not the tastiest thing ever :/
MaddyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
kev

Intersting. I found kratom at a head shop and was interested in trying it. I didn't purchase it because I didn't have enough money. I got salvia instead. Big mistake. I know salvia is not a recreational drug, but I tried it anyways, and it made me feel like a douchebag (yes, that was the best word to summarize the experience... douchebag). Maybe I just don't like facing my innermost thoughts.
kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

It sounds like a radioactive element.
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
millenniumman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

Kratom was pretty great. I was sedated for awhile and best of all it's a legal herb available at your local friendly bong store.

I heard about Salvia, I saw it at the same store I buy Kratom. It's what Mexican shamans used to get spirit visions of sorts.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

^Is that legal?
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
millenniumman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

I would advise against salvia... ive heard it is one of the most intense psychadelics out there at the moment, one of my friends actually told me it changes the way you look at the world he descibed to me his trip too... does not sound enjoyable at all... and setting/mood can play a big part with these kind of drugs, how would you like to get anxiety before trying a drug you have no idea what your ready for and you have a horrible trip you are stuck in with no exit, because your basically in another reality when your tripping of salvia
Old 09-20-2010, 05:40 AM   #18 (permalink)

This thread lead me to read about Kratom for a few hours (I had never heard of it before), and I decided to buy some. Going to try some Bali.
Dreamscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #19 (permalink)

I like this stuff too. I mixed about 9 grams of Kratom Powder in vanilla yogurt and didn't mind the taste at all. I felt a decent opiate like high for about 3 hours, although it wasn't that strong. I might go for the extract next time. This would be my first choice for legal alternatives for anxiety.
UndercoverAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

I'm interested in this. Anyone got any strenght suggestions? I don't want the hangover, but I don't want it too weak either lol
NameIsNotImportant is offline   Reply With Quote