X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Nutrition, Supplements and Exercise

Old 01-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kava re-experienced

And this time I got a definite effect from it. I remember a little while back there was a post about Kava and I bought the paste and claimed that it didn't work and it was a waste of money. Well, I was wrong this stuff does work and the effects are very noticeable. I bought the powdered root stuff that your supposed to strain through a cloth. Anyway, I took it yesterday and I got this intoxicated drunk like feeling from it, but I was totally able to concentrate in class, in fact, I think I was able to concentrate even better in class, I wonder how this stuff mixes with adderall?

I bought a half pound bag and it took me about half of the bag for me to begin to feel any noticeable effects. The taste it horrible, but there are ways to avoid or mask the disgusting taste it leaves behind. I know some people say they haven't gotten any effects from it, but I think it takes a while for any effects to be felt. So any way, just throwin my 2 cents out there, and if interested I'll keep you updated on my experience with this stuff.
n1kkuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default sfdsf

i tried the pills and the tea which didnt do nething 4 me, sadly i cant buy the powder caus my parents check all my ****!!!!
Kush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Be careful mixing it with Adderall, as kava contains a MAO-B inhibitor and could massively potentiate the dopaminergic effects of it resulting in possibly psychosis and hypertensive crisis, among other things. If you titrate the dose correctly however, they would be very synergistic. Just start off small.

I bought some kava root myself and felt minimal effects from a handful of root strained through my t-shirt. Either you need massive amounts of root to extract enough kavalactones, or the extraction is inefficient (maybe use higher temperature, different pH, or organic solvents).

In a couple of years when I have my own apartment, I shall try the organic solvent method, because kavalactones are quite remarkable compounds in that they don't appear to form tolerance.
euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria View Post
Be careful mixing it with Adderall, as kava contains a MAO-B inhibitor and could massively potentiate the dopaminergic effects of it resulting in possibly psychosis and hypertensive crisis, among other things. If you titrate the dose correctly however, they would be very synergistic. Just start off small.

I bought some kava root myself and felt minimal effects from a handful of root strained through my t-shirt. Either you need massive amounts of root to extract enough kavalactones, or the extraction is inefficient (maybe use higher temperature, different pH, or organic solvents).

In a couple of years when I have my own apartment, I shall try the organic solvent method, because kavalactones are quite remarkable compounds in that they don't appear to form tolerance.
Wow thanks for sharing that about the adderrall interaction, that's some scary stuff.

I don't know how many times you tried kava, but it almost took me until the end of the bag before I began to feel anything. The first few times , just like you I didn't feel anything, but on my like 5th or 6th time I felt a definite effect from it. They say Kava has to build up in your system before you start feeling it, like an ssri.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

For the passed few days i've been taking kava more and more and I've been noticing more and more pleasant effects from it, and it seems to be getting better and better. The anxiolytic effects may not be as strong as a benzo, but there are other benefits that accompany the kava that the benzos can never give you.

For one I've noticed that kava has been helping with my recent depression, It absolutely puts me in a more positive mood when I take it. 2 it makes me more aware, when I meditate I'm able to get into a more awake, yet relaxed state of mind. 3 it produces a pretty good buzz of euphoria which I don't really get from the ativan that I take. 4. It kind of puts me to sleep, but not the drowsy hypnotic type of sleepy feeling you get from benzos, its like your physically sleepy, but not mentally sleepy.

The only problem that I have with it is that it kind of messes with your coordination, much like alcohol. I've heard people have gotten DUI's from using Kava.

As far as the taste goes its pretty nasty, but first thing first, you gotta buy the root powder, and you gotta strain the root powder through a cloth, from my experience it potentiates the active ingredients in the kava, and it doesn't have that disgusting chunky texture to accompany it. The best mix I have found so far is to mix it with dark chocolate cocoa powder, the flavor is strong enough to knock out the bitter flavor of the kava and actually kind of compliments it.

All in all I would say kava is a good thing to take in between your benzo regimen to prevent tolerance. It can also be good for helping you cope with benzo withdrawals. It kind of takes some getting used to and you gotta give it a few chances before it you really feel anything, because it took me almost half a bag before I felt any definite effects.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

I tried kava, it only worked the first few times, after that all it did was make my mouth numb. And once I tried drinking the powder without straining it, kava powder is the most fattening substance on earth.

I read somewhere that a study showed that kava most increased the cheerfulness of test subjects previously identified as having cheerful dispositions. Maybe thats why it didn't work on me.
LALoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

I just tried my 3rd different strain of kava from my 3rd different vendor and I gotta say that each one has produced different effects for me, now that I have been more accustomed to it.

The first root powder I received was a Fijan strain and produced minimal effects at first, eventually it started providing me with some good euphoria, but nothing anxiolytic, and then it gave me a horrible hangover, definitely not going back to this one.

second one gave me a strong drunk feeling, the flavor was very strong and peppery makes me kind of gag, and gave me pretty good anxioltic feelings. I would recommend this one

The third one I just received today and has a very mild flavor, in fact, I actually kind of tastes good. The effects are euphoric and pretty nice, its a mellow buzz, but not too overpowering, I'm able to focus on my accounting homework, so that's a nice thing.

from my limited observation, different strains of kava produce different effects, some will give the effects that your not looking for. If you wanna know about the different strains and vendors I've experimented with then PM and I'll tell you.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Interesting post,

I first heard of Kava through a book called Green Mars, in it they drink Kava during celebrations & parties.

I subsequently looked it up on the net as I was curious about it & wanted to try it but in the process I discovered that it's illegal in Canada. Should I make it stateside one day I'll make a point of trying it while there

"Je ne comprends pas"

"But a blight had come over my existence...Company was irksome to me;
when alone, I could fill my mind with the sights of heaven and earth...
and I could thus trick myself into a transitory peace. But busy,
uninteresting, joyous faces brought back despair to my heart.
I saw an insurmountable barrier placed between me and my fellow-men"

"Shikata ga nai"

Twitter ~ Youtube ~ Facebook ~ SoundCloud
Canadian Brotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Brotha View Post
Interesting post,

I first heard of Kava through a book called Green Mars, in it they drink Kava during celebrations & parties.

I subsequently looked it up on the net as I was curious about it & wanted to try it but in the process I discovered that it's illegal in Canada. Should I make it stateside one day I'll make a point of trying it while there
You guys get otc codeine which I think is a fair trade.

Kava itself I haven't had much luck with like most calming agents I take it just makes me sleepy and does nothing for my anxiety.
screwjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

I think it's illegal in the U.S. too
Catlover4100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlover4100 View Post
Nope. Completely legal for the time being.
Howlin' wide or moanin low
So many roads I know
So many roads to ease my soul
Brightpaperwarewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Oh nice you just reminded me of the half pound bag of root powder I have! The last time I took it, I just mixed it in with hot water and swallowed chunks whole. It was a mild, soothing effect. But wow, half the bag just to feel anything?? I've heard of mashing up the root powder in a blender-- which is what I'll be trying next.
xephemiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlover4100 View Post
They sell it at my supermarket. Kinda weird that the only things illegal in Canada but legal in the US are handguns and Kava Kava. Seem like strange bedfellows on the forbidden list.
LALoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

It never did anything for me. All it did was make me photosensitive. If I just stood out in the sun for a few minutes I would turn red.
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

Kava has a lot of potential, but I never got worthwhile effects from up to 1/4 of a bag of fresh root. If I get some again it'll either be waka grade (from realkava.com) or somehow find pure kavalactone extracts.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria View Post
Kava has a lot of potential, but I never got worthwhile effects from up to 1/4 of a bag of fresh root. If I get some again it'll either be waka grade (from realkava.com) or somehow find pure kavalactone extracts.
Hey I tried the Fiji kava from realkava.com and that ish gave me a headache, and didn't really do anything for me. Nakamalathome.com has strong stuff, very strong stuff. And the kava on konakava.com is very mild, but effective for me, perhaps because I'm more sensitive to the subtle effects of kava after using it for a little while now. I would suggest getting one of the heavier kava's off nakamal at home since they have free u.s. shipping and the stuff they got is powerful, I got the "stone" kava from them, and it was quite effective and rather cheap.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xephemiance View Post
Oh nice you just reminded me of the half pound bag of root powder I have! The last time I took it, I just mixed it in with hot water and swallowed chunks whole. It was a mild, soothing effect. But wow, half the bag just to feel anything?? I've heard of mashing up the root powder in a blender-- which is what I'll be trying next.
I prepare mine simply by mixing half milk half water in a kind of large empty mayo jar. I microwave the mix, and then dump kava and cocoa powder in it after mircrowaving. I mix it all togeather while its still warm and then I place it in the fridge over night. I strain out the kava with one of the cloths that you can buy from one of the vendors, and I usually do this before I place the solution in the fridge.

Its definitely not as simple as popping a pill, but you can make a large batch and have it last you for a couple of days if you want.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

How much of that "stone" kava would be enough for a strong benzo/opioid-like buzz?
Old 02-21-2009, 12:28 AM   #19 (permalink)
99x

Hmm, I just buy extract capsules from the healthfood store. They work for me, doesnt take long to hit me, but it doesn't last nearly as long as my klonopin. Gives me a feeling similar to being buzzed, but mellow aswell.
99x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:48 AM   #20 (permalink)

I thought I read somewhere that kava is a hepatotoxin (can damage your liver). Is this true?
Neptunus is offline   Reply With Quote