Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Nutrition, Supplements and Exercise

Like Tree2 Liked Posts

Old 07-21-2008, 02:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kava Kava

I heard many times that the tolerance builds up very quickly, but I wanted to try it and got a small pack of it today.(10 capsules) Before taking it though, I have a few questions. Compared to other meds/supplements, how well did it work for you? And how long does it last?

Tried(Med.): Xanax, Valium, Ativan, Zoloft, Inderal, Tenormin, Paxil, Celexa, Lexapro, Adderall, Effexor, Emsam, Nardil, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Remeron, Lamictal, Abilify, Pristiq

Tried(Sup.): Vitamin B12, Magnesium, Kava Kava, Rhodiola Rosea, Omega-3

Tried(Therapy): CBT
styler5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Kava Kava

I'm a big Kava Kava guy and it's true tolerance does build quickly. But for me, it works really well.

As for how long it works, I can't really say for sure, but it always works long enough to get me through what I need to get through with it (ie work).

My personal Blog!!! http://lostinthevalley.wordpress.com/
updated November 14th, 2010
kikachuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

what does it do exactly. helps with the mood? does it make the mood less depressing?
not_so_cloudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

It makes you less anxious basically, just like SA meds.

@kikachuck: If I take it, say, once or twice a week, will the tolerance still build up?

Tried(Med.): Xanax, Valium, Ativan, Zoloft, Inderal, Tenormin, Paxil, Celexa, Lexapro, Adderall, Effexor, Emsam, Nardil, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Remeron, Lamictal, Abilify, Pristiq

Old 07-21-2008, 08:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hello. I just registered. I have been a long time reader but first time poster. I have been meaning to register and I was just going to post about my Kava experience. I am glad you posted.

Kava helps a lot with anxiety and supports a more positive mood. I also suffer from slight depression although St. John's Wort and fish oil have helped that immensely.

Kava varies quite a bit in different brands. Kavalactones are the main things that give you the calming feeling. You need around 70 mg - 200 mg of Kavalactones to feel a reduction in anxiety.

I would highly recommend getting high grade kava root powder from a reliable online store (just search google). This works much better than pills (which are much weaker). You need to get kava root powder that is at least 4-5 years old and uses strictly lateral roots. You mix it with water and it tastes like crap but for the effects I can bare drinking it. I need to try some other recipes and see if I can get it to taste better.

Kava root powder does not cause liver damage. The reason Germany and many other European countries banned it was due to several people having it their system along with alcohol and other drugs. The deaths were attributed to Kava unfairly and independent studies looking into this have said it cannot be blamed on Kava. Plus the Kava they were using was said to be Kava extract with parts of Kava besides the root which can cause liver damage.

Kava is very safe and a much better alternative to alcohol and other drugs that can be damaging to the body.

I have been researching Kava a ton since my mom first told me about it. http://www.erowid.org/plants/kava is an excellent site for experiences and more info about Kava. I have learned a ton from other people's experiences on there.

I have used weak (2% Kavalactone pills so 12.5 mg of Kavalactones) and I took close to 20 and I started to feel effects but not very strong. I just received my kava root powder two days ago and I tried the powder today for the first time. I took 1 Tbsp and I felt great today. I drank it before going to work and I was there for 7 hours and it lasted all the way through. I had very little anxiety. And 1 Tbsp of root powder is a low amount. They say take closer to 2-3 Tbsp. I will try this tomorrow and report back. I expect nothing but even less anxiety.

You should definitely be able to feel the effects of Kava. If you think you are feeling a placebo effect or are not sure, you are not taking enough. You will feel the effects if you dose it correctly.

I have heard tolerance does not build up that much but I will continue to monitor this and report my findings.

Kava works great for social anxiety and I am so glad I finally tried the root powder. Otherwise you need to take a lot of pills (depending on their amount of Kavalactones) to get effects. And even then I still think powder is the way to go. I highly suggest you give it a try. It is really helping me!
Irvine likes this.
xboxfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

From which site did you get the powder?
custard25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have a bottle of kava kava but afraid to use the stuff due to the stories I read somehwere about potential liver problems. I dont think theres any evidence conclusive to prove kava kava is bad or unsafe. instead ill take another herb

-------------------------------------------------------
CopadoMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by custard25
From which site did you get the powder?
I will PM you the site. I didn't want to sound like an advertisement so I didn't post it. If anyone else wants it just PM me and I will send you the link.

I think it has been fairly well proven that pure kava root does not cause liver damage. The whole banning of Kava and liver damage was due to people using Kava extracts that contained peelings and not just pure root. Plus they had other drugs in their system so most cases could not be attributed to the Kava alone. I think this may be why the FDA did not ban the substance in the U.S. And I feel much safer taking Kava than other medicines that have a whole lot of other side effects.
akura likes this.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you very much for all that information xboxfreak. Be careful not to take it too often, though. I did hear from some people here that their tolerance built up very quickly, like after a week. Also, the pills you took sound almost like a fake because mine has 225mg kavalactone per 3 pills.(thus, 75mg per pill)
I still haven't tried it yet in fear of tolerance. I'm gonna wait until more people who used it response.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxfreak
Kava root powder does not cause liver damage. The reason Germany and many other European countries banned it was due to several people having it their system along with alcohol and other drugs. The deaths were attributed to Kava unfairly and independent studies looking into this have said it cannot be blamed on Kava. Plus the Kava they were using was said to be Kava extract with parts of Kava besides the root which can cause liver damage.

Kava is very safe and a much better alternative to alcohol and other drugs that can be damaging to the body.

Does this mean that it could be deadly if you take it and drink alcohol excessively, or just with alchohol and drugs ?
Mambo Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akstylish
Thank you very much for all that information xboxfreak. Be careful not to take it too often, though. I did hear from some people here that their tolerance built up very quickly, like after a week. Also, the pills you took sound almost like a fake because mine has 225mg kavalactone per 3 pills.(thus, 75mg per pill)
I still haven't tried it yet in fear of tolerance. I'm gonna wait until more people who used it response.
Different Kava pills can have a wide range of effectiveness. There are pills that have very few kavalactones and some that have quite a lot. That is why I think it is better to take the powder. Although I may look into some kava root pills that have lots of kavalactones so if I don't want to drink the powder I don't have too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Mick
Does this mean that it could be deadly if you take it and drink alcohol excessively, or just with alchohol and drugs ?
Not deadly as in you accidently OD (at least I don't think). But they say Kava and alcohol do not mix very well. I think this is because they both work on the same area of the brain but affect it in opposite directions or something. Now on the other hand they say Marijuana mixes very well with Kava and can enhance the effects of both. I wouldn't worry about dying from Kava use. Just stick with only the root and don't mix it with alcohol and you should be fine.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Mick
Not deadly as in you accidently OD (at least I don't think). But they say Kava and alcohol do not mix very well. I think this is because they both work on the same area of the brain but affect it in opposite directions or something. Now on the other hand they say Marijuana mixes very well with Kava and can enhance the effects of both. I wouldn't worry about dying from Kava use. Just stick with only the root and don't mix it with alcohol and you should be fine.
Thanks.......only problem is that I DO like to drink a few
Mambo Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:03 AM   #13 (permalink)

I've heard the pills don't do crap, but I tried them. I took a whole friggin' bottle... Almost no effect (no worries, each pill had a very small amount). It was like placebo.

I then tried it in paste format, and then I DEFINITELY felt it. I got kind of sick though later on with it, so I got kind of turned off kava.

He ran because it grounded him in basics. There was both life and death in it; it was unadulterated by media hype, trivial cares, political meddling...It was all joy and woe, hard as a diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free.
ardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

Do you remember how much kavalactone was in each pill?

Old 07-29-2008, 07:48 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't. Sorry.

He ran because it grounded him in basics. There was both life and death in it; it was unadulterated by media hype, trivial cares, political meddling...It was all joy and woe, hard as a diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

I did some research on KAVA last year and found out that GAIA herbs - Professional Strength is the most potent one. I take 10 drops before important social events:

http://www.gaiaherbs.com/product.php?id=160

The label says:

SUGGESTED USE
Take 10 drops of extract in a small amount of warm water 3-4 times daily between meals. Shake well before using. Not to be used during pregnancy or lactation. Keep away from children. Use only as directed on label. Maximum time of use, one month!

Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Just a guess (based on my experiences) but I am guessing his pills had around 12.5 mg of Kavalactones which is what my pills had. They say you need around 280 mg of Kavalactones in order to feel a relaxing effect.

I highly suggest against using the product above. It is a Kava extract and there is a higher risk of liver problems when using an extract.

I cannot stress enough to use only pure Kava root.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:03 PM   #18 (permalink)

Yeah, recommended dosages for kava kava are far too small.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:01 PM   #19 (permalink)

I ordered Kava Kava root and paste from http://www.konakavafarm.com/

I can't wait to try it out!
Batman2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:44 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman2k7
I ordered Kava Kava root and paste from

I can't wait to try it out!
Let us know how you like it. They say for the root (powdered I am guessing) to use 2-3 Tbsp (for first few times). I have used a little more than 3 Tbsp and think I may need to start upping my dose to get a better effect. I hope this isn't tolerance building up.

I used my powder for 3-4 days straight and then took a day or two break. Then used it for 2 days and now I have been on a break for 2 days. I am feeling a lot more relaxed but that is even when the Kava is no longer in my system. So it could just be my other supplements (like Niacinamide).