X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Nutrition, Supplements and Exercise

Old 12-10-2006, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rob

Default Kanna - A Natural SSRI for anxiety and panic attacks.

I've used it before and had an EXCELLENT response to it.
It was the strongest legal herb Ive ever done. Ever since, I've noticed a lot of vendors sell trash that may not even be the real thing.
But the few times I got real Kanna it was even stronger than my high dose of Paxil (that i use to take) but it only lasts a few hours. Affects are complete suppression of anxiety, slight euphoria, elevated mood, and some weird affect with your skin where it kinda tightens up and gets a weird glow to it (youll see it you get your hands on some good stuff)

This is for people who have never heard of it before. If you get trash Kanna youll talk crap about it and never wanna take it again. If you get good Kanna you'll be motivated to grow your own plants (which is eventually what ill wind up doin)

But if anyone knows a good supplier or has had a good experience with it let us know. Just be aware that theres a lot of fake herb going around, its also completely legal btw. I can mention suppliers where I had luck but only at request (cuz im not sure what these boards consider spamming lol)

And this is nothing like St. Johns Wort btw, I NEVER EVER had any luck with that herb.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: Kanna - A Natural SSRI for anxiety and panic attacks.

The dark is my sanctuary! I don't wanna glow and stand out to everyone lol
Actually it sounds like a great spot treatment. Is it over-the-counter or prescription? Any side-effects?

*EDIT*
Nevermind.
Did my own research:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sceletium_tortuosum
This looks promising to say the least.
Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

sounds like good stuff. where can i get my hands on this?

"It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can GET hit and keep moving forward" - rocky balboa
Panic Prone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

http://www.iamshaman.com

I've used their kanna in the past and had great success, they have many different types and forms.

Good luck
pjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

the cost of capsules are ridiculous compared to bulk powder. Do you guys just mix it with juice or water? how is the taste and what dosages are recommended to start off with?

"It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can GET hit and keep moving forward" - rocky balboa
Panic Prone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

How is this a natural selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor? You make this claim without any supporting facts. How does this inhibit serotonin? A slight euphoria, elevated mood, this is no SSRI that I have ever heard of, but maybe more of a dopamine agonist? Anyway, this does sound interesting, by what people are describing, but the title of this thread could be misleading.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Vitex is a herb with d2 binding, as well as mild serotonin uptake inhibition.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

Well I ordered a bottle of the capsules so when I get them I'll find out if they're really worth it. I just hope they don't get confiscated at the border.
Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

You should not have to worry about DIA, this is a non-regulated herb. You should learn the effects that this can have when taken in combination with SSRI. It does act as a SSRI I have learned, so this could be deadly. I read so on the internet so it must be true.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

I took it in the past before certain situations that I was going to be nervous. I can't really recall exactly how it made me feel. Euphoric? Something like that. Whatever it did, it was a little bit too much certain times. I did snort it, yes. Only thing I have ever snorted. It was the most efficient way I knew of. Tea? Not sure how that works. Smoking? Yes, that too, but can't remember what it was compared to snorting, which by the way left nasty taste in my nose. Apparently it wasn't fine enough. BTW, I am in no way suggesting usage of Sceletium tortuosum, let alone putting it up your nose. I'd also be very wary of using it with any kind of anti-anxiety/anti-depressant drug.

I still have the bag from years ago, as in maybe four. Not sure if it's any good now. I did take it about a year ago and it made me feel weird. Just not something I think about anymore.. not until this thread.
BeNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

This stuff looks really promising. After 5-htp gave out on me (just gives me vivid dreams) im willing to try this. I just ordered 30 caps from IAMSHAMAN so we will see how it goes. I shall post a log. Question to current users:

What is tolerance like?
What are the side effects?
Does it make you sleep like XANAX?
How long does the effects last?
afboy143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quoted off Wikipedia

"The alkaloids contained in Sceletium tortuosum believed to possess psychoactivity include: mesembrine, mesembrenone, mesembrenol and tortuosamine. Mesembrine is a major alkaloid present in Sceletium tortuosum, and due to the antidepressant effects of kanna many have been lead to believe that mesembrine is a potent SSRI, however there is a lack of research to prove this, and a study [1] has shown that mesembrine is more likely to be a Phosphodiesterase4-selective inhibitor, similar to rolipram, rather than an SSRI. Despite this, kanna should not be combined with other SSRIs, MAOIs, cardiac or psychiatric medications. The results of taking sceletium on top of other SSRI's are unpredictable, and it is known that alcohol can also cause side effects combined with many SSRI's. Headaches in conjunction with alcohol have been noted with sceletium use."

Quoted from IAMSHAMAN when I bought it

WARNING! Kanna is believed to act as a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI). In combination with common psychiatric medications including other SSRIs (such as Prozac) and MAO Inhibitors, it may cause injury if ingested.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:31 AM   #13 (permalink)

BeNice:

Why did you stop taking Kanna? Do you have any warnings/reservations about not taking it?
As far as I can tell it looks promising and I am anxious to try some. You said it made you feel wierd. Was it good/bad?

Thanks,

Eimaj
Eimaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

Any replies on this?
Old 12-20-2006, 04:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

My order just came in the mail, 60 tablets at 350mg each. I just swalllowed my first one and we'll see how it goes
Old 12-20-2006, 11:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rob

A few quick things I had to find out about Kanna the hard way.
DO NOT eat any food within an hour or 2 before taking it. For some reason it destroys its activity.
Also MANY place are selling backyard/greenhouse grown Kanna and they are picking the leaves before it matures. It takes up to a year before its good to pick.
Needless to say people are buying it and getting no affect from it at all than saying it doesnt do crap.
I only bought Kanna from iamshaman once and it was *ok. Nothing spectacular. I've bought other herbs from them however that were completely inactive (kratom)
They are suppose to be "reputable" but when I emailed them about selling inactive Kratom they never responded. I since never ordered from them again.

The once place I ALWAYS had good experience was is psychoactiveherbs.com
Thier stuff is grown in a local farm in indonesia, picked fresh and shipped right out. iamshaman i have no idea where they get there stuff from but i think they're a middle man (i could be wrong though)
thus thier products arent as fresh or potent even when they're good.
ALWAYS order a tiny amount from a few different suppliers and compare. This stuff isnt regulated by the fda and you cant always be sure of what your getting.
With these facts in mind, I know the large majority of people who try quality Kanna love it. But they usually get turned away the second they get a bad batch and think it stopped working. And DO NOT use this to self medicate. I suggest only taking it in situations of extreme anxiety, otherwise youll get a habit you cant afford.
L-theanine is great for anxiety too, Kratom tea varies with users, Kava Kava is suppose to be good but I never thought it was anything spectacular.
I have about 6 new herbs coming in the mail this week. Ones called Damiana and Im dying to see how it works because Ive heard some interesting things about it and its stress reducing prpperties. If you've never tried l-theanine go to your local health shop and buy a bottle, I ALWAYS have some lying around.
Im not sure if its just me but that stuff has never failed me.
Im currently tying to concoct a powerful herbal anxiety reducer.
And dont be fooled by the world "herb", some of these things can knock you on your *** (ie: first time Kratom users)
I see a lot of herbal anxiety pills and I cant help but question some of the useless ingredients they put in.
I think they purposely make them weak so you come back for more and they can avoid lawsuits but what Im working on is no joke and Ill keep you guys posted.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:06 PM   #17 (permalink)

Yeah I got mine from shaman, and feel nothing at all. Took up to 1g with no effect whasoever..

Where on psychoactiveherbs can I find kanna? It doesn' seem to be listed.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

Default Re: re: Kanna - A Natural SSRI for anxiety and panic attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eimaj
BeNice:

Why did you stop taking Kanna? Do you have any warnings/reservations about not taking it?
As far as I can tell it looks promising and I am anxious to try some. You said it made you feel wierd. Was it good/bad?

Thanks,

Eimaj
I don't have anything particular against it. I guess I just didn't like the ingestion method I was using, and maybe that was a little much, too extreme a delivery?. I tried making tea out of what I had from back when. I don't like the taste, but it's the same feeling as back then, just less. I know the original people to take it actually chewed it, right? I can't really test it, though. I don't really have many people to hang out with.

From Wiki:

Quote:
e earliest written records of the use of the plant date back to 1662. The traditionally prepared dried sceletium was often chewed as a quid, and the saliva swallowed, but it has also been made into gel caps, teas and tinctures. Less commonly, it has been reported that Sceletium used to be inhaled as a snuff, or smoked, usually with the addition of other herbs.
Ahh. I would prefer gel caps or tinctures. I take gel caps of Flax Oil and Fish Oil every morning. Wonder if that form would work.
BeNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:23 PM   #19 (permalink)

So, what the hell is a "phosphodiesterase4-selective inhibitor"?

Papa's little helpers: Parnate 90 mg, Adderall 30 mg, Lamictal 300 mg, Xanax prn
Caedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:31 AM   #20 (permalink)

The stuff didn't work for me
rdubya is offline   Reply With Quote