X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Nutrition, Supplements and Exercise

Old 06-24-2009, 06:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Does Melatonin really work against insomnia?

I suffer from chronic insomnia, and was thinking about buying melatonin capsules to see if they help combat this problem. Has anyone here had experience with this "drug"?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yep I have. I suffer from insomnia during times of anxiety and stress but they were prescribed to me because I had delayed sleep phase disorder. Since it's a natural chemical produced in the brain...it's a better alternative to heavy sedatives and sleeping pills. I took them to help get a better sleeping clock, with DSPD my body wasn't getting good quality REM sleep until between 4am-12pm, and when I took them it did help me get back into a better rhythm. My advice would be don't over do them or rely on them heavily, as they can have the adverse affect of making you sleepy during the day. I would use them in combination with good 'bed hygiene'...forming a routine around bedtime.

I usually took between 3-9mg (ed. opps I forgot the dosage havne't taken them in ages)...I would start off with one capsule and see what works for you, and while they are safe, from what my doctor told me they're best for short-term usage to help adjust your body clock. Take them between 4-6 hours before you intend to go to sleep rather than an hour before.
rumjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've used it, still do for sleep problems, and it works pretty good for me. Definitely a noticeable difference.
colinmc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

I buy the 3mg sublingual tablets, and I divide them in quarters (making for .75mg, which is a sufficient dosage!!) and take them 1 hour before I fall asleep. I make sure I am laying in bed during that time though, otherwise, if you're online or something you feel really drowsy but you'll still refuse to go to bed, you'll just push through the drowsiness. Makes you fall asleep for sure. I use them regularly since I sometimes have a hard time falling asleep at night. But since I started taking them my sleep has improved drastically.
caithiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Melatonin has done wonders for me. I have been taking it for a few weeks and I have been sleeping through the night for most of them. I fall asleep really fast.
sc47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

It worked for me. I took mine two hours before bedtime b/c it does take at least that long to make you feel sleepy. It was a long time ago. I don't take it now.
"A simple man believes everything he hears; a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15-The New English Bible
'O the depth of God's richness and wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable his judgements are and past tracing out his ways are!'-Romans 11:33
Anxiety75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Melatonin works great for resetting my clock when it gets out of wack. I try not take it all the time because I don't want to become dependent. It doesn't make me feel drowsy the next day like other sleep aids.

Like the other poster, I divide the pills in halves or quarters. .75 mg is more than enough.
Mr. Frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've had a similarly positive experience as Mr. Frostie. When I temporarily become an insomniac, the melatonin helps regulate things again for me.
radudeATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Melatonin puts me to sleep as long as I only take it every once in a while. If I take it every day it either stops working or actually seems to make me less sleepy. So I don't think it would help with insomnia because I assume you are looking for something to take every day.
LALoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

It doesn't work for me. All it seems to do is give me strange dreams. I have a lot of trouble getting to sleep. Last night I took Tylenol PMs and even those didn't make me feel drowsy and I stayed up until 2, but once I get to sleep I'm out.
contranigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

I think it makes it a little more likely that I will actually get some sleep, but, like everything else I've tried, it's not that helpful.
sansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

It is supposed to work for temporary issues, but continued use will get the body to adjust to not making enough, knowing that the pill would compensate.
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
millenniumman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
kev

It does help a little. However, you may have to take it a couple hours before you go to bed and you will need a good 8 hours to sleep (maybe more).

The dosage is a little tricky. Some people can get by with as little as .5 mg (you can get that at trader joes). But some stores will sell up to 5 or 7 mg (which is probably counterproductive... if 3 mg doesn't work, 5 or 7 probably won't either). Melatonin builds up in the system if you take it every day so if it works for you at all try to find the smallest amount that works. I've heard that prolonged use of melatonin can cause depression in some people, but I think other than that it is relatively safe.

If your insomnia is due primarily to anxiety and distracting thoughts, 25 mg - 50 mg of benadryl (or some product with diphenhydramine) may be more helpful. I don't particularly like benadryl though because it causes temporary cognitive decline and worsens depression for me (some people take it every day without a problem, but it isn't recommended for long-term use).

Valerian is safe and marginally helpful but melatonin is more effective for me.

Bottom line, yes, it might be helpful. Don't expect it to knock you out immediately though. It takes some time to work.
kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

Yes, melatonin works for me. It takes about 30 min to and hour to start working. But it sure knocks me out. I usually feel sort of "odd" the next day though.
JaneEyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

wow, good results with melatonin.

I have been sleeping well but had a chronic 7+ year sleeping problem in the past. I tried melatonin tabs but didn't get results.

Nowadays I take a supplement called "Melatonin-Nanoplex" which is more natural and it helps me sleep. Here's the link to order it, if anyone is interested:
http://www.forresthealth.com/store/s...=search&page=1

It is a little pricey, but one bottle lasts me for 2-3 months.
kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:36 AM   #16 (permalink)

Just an update on my original post. I tried the melatonin, and it has no effect on me whatsoever. What seems to work for everyone else, doesn't work for me.....typical.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

I take it only when I have troubles getting to sleep. My doctor told me that it helps you to get to sleep but won't help you to stay asleep, for insomnia you'd probably want to try something else.
How broken we are
It's the things that hurt us all

So unpredictable
We're comfortably miserable
We think we're invincible
Completely unbreakable
And maybe we are
Isn't it beautiful
The way we all fall apart

- We As Human
Toad Licker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:13 PM   #18 (permalink)

I tried it because my doctor suggested it. It's useless garbage at any dose. When I'm suffering from insomnia I don't need some damn pill that might kind of sort of help me sleep. I need a drug that will knock me out cold -- sadly, such powerful drugs are no longer prescribed (unless you're Michael Jackson).
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:30 AM   #19 (permalink)

Yeah, it worked for me, but I don't have severe sleeping problems. It makes you tired, but doesn't knock you out.
SoloSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:06 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaidMarian View Post
Just an update on my original post. I tried the melatonin, and it has no effect on me whatsoever. What seems to work for everyone else, doesn't work for me.....typical.
What kind of dosage did you take? Melatonin really works, but the effective dosage seems to be different for everyone. Experts say that .3mg is the most effective dose, but that does absolutely nothing for me. I take between 9mg and 12mg when I'm having sleeping problems, and that works very well. They sell it in doses of up to 20mg that I've seen, so you have a lot of room to play with.
Scotso is offline   Reply With Quote