X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Nutrition, Supplements and Exercise

Old 07-18-2006, 09:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Choline capsules or powder??so far I am cured!!!

What first grabbed my attention is the discovery that introversion is physiological (as opposed to shyness, which is behavioral). Extroverts and introverts actually use different neurotransmitters and different neural pathways to the brain. Introverts' dominant neurotransmitter, acetylcholine, is associated with the energy-conserving parasympathetic nervous systems and with moving memories into long-term storage. Because introverts operate heavily in long-term memory, when speaking we tend to pause or speak more slowly than most extroverts are comfortable with. I can certainly relate to this, as I'm sure anyone who's spoken with me much would agree.
I clearly use to exhibit:

•Reduce eye contact when speaking to focus on collecting words.
•Start talking in the middle of a thought.
•Have a good memory but take a long time to retrieve memories.
•Can forget things they know well — might stumble around when explaining their job or temporarily forget a word they want to use.

•May think they told you something when they just have thought it.
•Rehearse things before speaking (even for casual conversation).
•May not be aware of their thoughts unless they write or talk about them.
•Clearer about ideas, thoughts, and feelings after sleeping on them.
•Immerse themselves thoroughly in a very few subjects.

Acetylcholine is one of the major neurotransmitters and requires choline for its synthesis. Adequate acetylcholine levels in the brain are believed to be protective against certain types of dementia, including Alzheimer's disease. Human studies are needed to determine whether dietary choline might be useful in the prevention of dementia.
Sickseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

So you are taking choline and it is working for you? How much, what type do you take?
FearNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

The choline that is available in Australia is sold in 500ml caps or powder and is marketed for liver support and function. I take 4 times the recommenced dose overdosing has not caused any effects other than slight tremors and fishy body odour. Mentally memory function is a lot faster short term memory works better during crowded gatherings and environments where extroverts are getting hyped on small talk. I actually enjoy and can compete in these environments now.
Nothing else has worked like this before for example St Johns Wort and SSR’s produce serotonin this may help anxiety but not the effects of introverted nero systems affected by the extrovert dominated world. Introverts use **** loads of Acetylcholine for there internal world. My simple theory is introverts need more Acetylcholine than the extroverted systems do because extroverts have one reality and introverts have 2 one which is an internal reality constructed out of real memory and experiences and subconscious processes usually negative due to the low levels of Acetylcholine. An introvert’s brain is a major gas guzzler of Acetylcholine.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the information.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

So acetylcholine helps your memory? Has it done anything to lessen your anxiety?
DavidPT40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Come on, we need ANSWERS.

You cant just post something with a title that says "I'm cured from social anxiety" then just copy and paste some stuff from a website then not tell us about the cure!

Heres what we need to know:

How long have you been taking choline?
How much do you take?
Why do you think this has cured you?
Have you tested yourself in social situations?
What effect does choline have on you, mental, physcial, motivation?
Old 07-19-2006, 02:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

I went out and bought some choline in the form of Lecithin. While buying the Lecithin, I saw a bottle of something called "Policosanol". Knowing that alcohols and beta-blockers end in -ol, I bought it too. $4 for the Lecithin, $8 for the Policosanol.

Choline really does work. It produces motivation and focus. I was talking alot tonight, not worried about my anxiety, and being very witty. Good stuff.

Policosanol is an over-the-counter beta-blocker that reduces adrenaline. Excellent. I was able to speak clearly, bring my thoughts into words very quickly, and not have to worry when speaking in front of strangers about my voice shaking.

Result: Choline (in the form of Lecithin), and Policosanol showed so much promise tonight that I am going to step it up tomorrow. I'm going to take more risks, see what it takes to get myself nervous (physically).
Old 07-19-2006, 07:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Your better off just getting choline it is the most potent there is, also Acetyl L-Carnitine.

Here are the babies here if you are in Australia musashi make the most potent **** going round. I forgot to mention about Acetyl L-Carnitine it is much more expensive and much more potent you could go on a game show with this ****!!

http://www.musashi.com.au/cpa/htm/htm_f ... _store.asp

http://www.musashi.com.au/cpa/htm/htm_f ... _store.asp

I urge everyone here to try this
Old 07-19-2006, 10:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

I never realized that i was an introvert until i read this. I always thought i was in between introvert and extrovert. But i must be an introvert because i do speak slowly and i have bad short term memory but good long term memory. Interesting.
binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

You can get L-Acetyl Choline relatively cheap from 1fast400. 75 grams for $7. I bought 3, and they gave me a discount for a price of $18.

So, I was *definately* deficient on choline. My memory and speach have improved (they were excellent to begin with).

I came across an interesting abstract that said people with Social Anxiety had lower than usual levels of Choline, Creatine, and something else. It said the "Signal to Noise Ratio" was lower with these substances. Signal to noise ratio, what are those?

Earlier today, I had to indavertantly test my Policosanol. I got into an argument with somebody, and that got my adrenaline flowing. I also had a cup of coffee. I went back to my room and took 40mg of Policosanol, and all signs of adrenaline dissipated (shaking hands, heart rate, etc).
Old 07-20-2006, 11:40 AM   #11 (permalink)

I purchased choline last night and took 1300mg last night and 1300mg this morning. I noticed a difference within an hour. The fogginess of my brain went away, and I was more relaxed and talkative. Being skeptical, I will reserve judgement until I have taken this nutrient for awhile. It seems very promissing for me so far though. Thank you sickseed.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default ?

What is the dominant nueorotransmitter for extroverts? (just curious-Im intrigued)
Old 07-21-2006, 12:10 AM   #13 (permalink)

I've been eaing lecithin granules for a while now to combat my acne. I have not noticed any difference in my SA.
If I believe, there is no end.
Restless Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:16 AM   #14 (permalink)

I've been doing more testing, still working well. I'm making progress.

Heres my hypothesis, lecithin (choline) creates acetylcholine. Its the additional acetylcholine that is providing the confidence and positive results.

This stuff is not a sedative, for me it just provides me with confidence and boosts my self-esteem. The biggest dose I've tried so far is 1 gram of choline. I might experiment with larger doses when my 225grams of Acetylcholine arrives.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:52 AM   #15 (permalink)

I am taking 3,250mg per day, spread out during the day. I am still seeing good results. I haven't needed to take any of my Klonopin since I started. I wasn't aware that choline affects dopamine. Choline is need for the body to produce Acetylcholine, another neurotransmitter.

The choline is not sedating for me either, it does calm me though.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:25 AM   #16 (permalink)

Opps, my mistake. I accidentaly typed dopamine when I meant acetylcholine.

I came across and abstract talking about the anxiety/fear reducing powers of acetylcholine

Endogenous acetylcholine in the dorsal hippocampus reduces anxiety through actions on nicotinic and muscarinic1 receptors.

Quote:
Dorsal hippocampal cholinergic modulation of behavior in different tests of anxiety was investigated by direct injection of the muscarinic M1 and M2 receptor antagonists, pirenzepine and gallamine, and the nicotinic receptor antagonist mecamylamine. In the social interaction test, the anxiogenic effect of pirenzepine (30-100 ng) provided evidence for a tonic cholinergic anxiolytic action mediated by postsynaptic M1 receptors. The anxiogenic action of mecamylamine (30 and 100 ng) was most likely mediated by its action of presynaptic nicotinic receptors to reduce acetylcholine release. Gallamine (10-1,000 ng) was without effect, suggesting that M2 receptors in this brain region do not play a significant role in this behavioral test. On Trial 1 in the elevated plus-maze, the receptor antagonists were without any effect, but in those with a previous 5-min experience of the plus-maze pirenzepine and mecamylamine had anxiogenic effects in the dose range of 30-300 ng; gallamine (100 and 300 ng) was without significant effect.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:45 AM   #17 (permalink)

DavidPT40,

Please keep us posted about Acetyl L-Carnitine. I am interested in perhaps adding that to my choline, if things continue to go well. The choline has helped to sharpen my sluggish brain, this helps in social situations because I don't "freeze up" as much. I much prefer taking the choline to taking klonopin.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:35 AM   #18 (permalink)

I am still having success with choline. My acetylcholine hasn't arrived yet, so I've been taking lecithin.

My fear is just so lessened, and I'm able to make quick responses where before I would have froze up.

I just bought some soy lecithin granules. They dont taste half bad (apple cinnamon flavor). The only confusing part is trying to find out how much choline I'm actually getting.

On the back it has listed
Phosphatidyl Choline: 1350mg
Total Choline : 200mg

Hmmmm.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

Yep that choline sure whips arse!!!
Just a question you say you are getting acetylcholine??
What is this?. pure synthesized acetylcholine?? I have never heard of this before??
Where did you order it from??
Old 07-22-2006, 12:42 PM   #20 (permalink)

All my life my right eye lid dropped a little more than my left eye lid. But after taking acetylcholine precursors my eyes left and right now match like an extroverts. Guess my brain was just low on gas.