X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Nutrition, Supplements and Exercise

Old 09-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cheapest way to increase Dopamine.

Don't eat. At least for extended periods of time. Long periods without food increases secretion of a hormone called Ghrelin. This is what gives you that feeling of hunger. It also increases Dopamine production. So, if you can find a way to circumvent the hunger pangs, you'll be able to enjoy the socializing effects of Dopamine !

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19906954

One way to approach this would be to practice alternate day eating, or intermittent fasting. I've been doing the Leangains approach to fasting 16/8 but the effect wasn't as strong as when I did a full 24 hours of fasting.

It's the government's way of trying to protect you from protecting yourself.
Beggiatoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hmm. I wonder about this. I remember when I was in high school I would go almost the entire day without food because I had so much anxiety that I couldn't even walk into the cafeteria with a room full of people. I would just stay outside and sit somewhere or walk. Maybe it wasn't an entire 24 hours that I went without eating but it was really close. And, I think I did sometimes go an entire day without eating just to see if I could do it. Although, I don't remember feeling better the next day. It was still the same hell everyday (sorry, its the best way I can describe it). The same extreme pressure in my head, foggy mind, couldn't focus, had to put my head down on my desk which made people think I didn't care about school. lol

It would be interesting to hear if it does work for some people though.
namespace11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Namespace11,

That depends on what type of diet you had. I went through something similar in HS myself. I would spend lunch walking around for fear of being in any one place. However, my diet then was a high carb, low fat junk diet. That type of eating pattern is not very fasting friendly. Now that I follow a higher fat, lower carb diet, I find that I can go long periods without eating with little discomfort. I only felt for dizziness and weakness toward the end of the day yesterday. I'd say the experience was a good one. Today is my eat day and tomorrow I'll try fasting once again.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beggiatoa View Post
Namespace11,

That depends on what type of diet you had. I went through something similar in HS myself. I would spend lunch walking around for fear of being in any one place. However, my diet then was a high carb, low fat junk diet. That type of eating pattern is not very fasting friendly. Now that I follow a higher fat, lower carb diet, I find that I can go long periods without eating with little discomfort. I only felt for dizziness and weakness toward the end of the day yesterday. I'd say the experience was a good one. Today is my eat day and tomorrow I'll try fasting once again.
That sounds less healthy than your old diet, especially the fasting which is absolutely horrible for you.

Using fat for energy puts more strain on your liver/kidneys than using carbs. Unless you're trying to gain/lose wait, you should consume as much energy as you're planning on using, and as long as you're obtaining enough nutrition, carbs are the most efficient, least stressful way of doing that.

All of the issues those dumb alternative 'medicine' freaks have with high carb diets can be eliminated by NOT just eating excess amounts of simple, glucose-heavy carbs in foods that contain very little nutrition and instead getting your carbs from proper foods. If you eat nothing but excess starch or sugar at very irregular intervals (something that many people do unfortunately), of course you will feel unwell.
Duke of Prunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Namespace11,

Yeah, despite the stereotype of all teenagers eating horribly, I was never really into junk food. I tried to eat as healthy as I could. The way I described my eating habits made it sound bad but I didn't try to completely kill myself, lol. I would take vitamins, eat whole foods when I was home, stay away from fast food. It was all sort of fear based though. Sorry, I should have been more specific, the foggy mind and inability to focus came from the anxiety I had. I would get that way no matter if I ate something or not.

Duke has a good point, carbs that come from healthy, whole, foods are excellent sources of long lasting energy. It's the carbs that come from processed foods and are higher in the glycemic index that give them such a bad rep.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

I wont a start a carbs vs fat war here since this topic has been covered in numerous forums and blogs many times. But no. Fats are not the devil they were once made out to be. When I refer to high carb, I'm talking about a predominantly grain based diet which most people eat. Even whole wheat has the same glycemic index of sugar !

Old 09-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Prunes View Post
That sounds less healthy than your old diet, especially the fasting which is absolutely horrible for you.
Fasting is not horrible, Duke. Heck, it's the only known way to extend your life that actually works. How did you ever reach that conclusion ?

Old 09-30-2011, 12:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
... Even whole wheat has the same glycemic index of sugar !
I know this is way off topic but doesn't the sugars in whole wheat get broken down more gradually when consumed as part of a complete meal compared to plain sugar which spikes insulin levels?

... Point taken, the GI can't always be relied upon.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Fasting is not horrible, Duke. Heck, it's the only known way to extend your life that actually works. How did you ever reach that conclusion ?
If you say so...
Old 09-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by namespace11 View Post
I know this is way off topic but doesn't the sugars in whole wheat get broken down more gradually when consumed as part of a complete meal compared to plain sugar which spikes insulin levels?

... Point taken, the GI can't always be relied upon.
Aside from grains being sugar bombs, they also contain a lot of compounds that are unhealthy like gluten, lectin and phytates.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-g...are-unhealthy/

Old 10-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
calorie restriction extends your life without fasting.
podizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Fasting is pure stress for the body and mind, not very useful if you're anxious.
PetePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

I did fasting meanwhile experimenting with binaureal wave beat music and meditation

emotionally i feel improved but my life is still in the ruts
softshock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I wont a start a carbs vs fat war here since this topic has been covered in numerous forums and blogs many times. But no. Fats are not the devil they were once made out to be. When I refer to high carb, I'm talking about a predominantly grain based diet which most people eat. Even whole wheat has the same glycemic index of sugar !
Wheat raises blood sugar even more than a chocolate bar as well. I cut out wheat recently, even sprouted grain now because it's awful what they've done to the crops. I bake my own bread, without wheat.
sas111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:51 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilllabb View Post
Wheat raises blood sugar even more than a chocolate bar as well. I cut out wheat recently, even sprouted grain now because it's awful what they've done to the crops. I bake my own bread, without wheat.
You bake bread without wheat ? What do you make it out of if you don't mind me asking.

I rarely eat wheat nowadays, and would be interested to hear about any alternatives out there.
therefore do not rouse me. Hush! Speak low.

Need some stress relieving music? Check out mah Playlist:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...eature=mh_lolz

Paper Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Samurai View Post
You bake bread without wheat ? What do you make it out of if you don't mind me asking.

I rarely eat wheat nowadays, and would be interested to hear about any alternatives out there.
Hmm, to name a few ingredients - Brown rice flour, guar gum, yeast, all purpose gluten free flour, sorghum, flax, ect.

You can easily find gluten free cooking books. Or just go the easy way & buy the packets, though it's rather pricey for what little comes in it.
sas111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

Gluten-free diets are just as pointless as low-carb diets unless you actually have a valid medical reason for avoiding gluten like coeliac diease.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Don't eat. At least for extended periods of time. Long periods without food increases secretion of a hormone called Ghrelin. This is what gives you that feeling of hunger. It also increases Dopamine production. So, if you can find a way to circumvent the hunger pangs, you'll be able to enjoy the socializing effects of Dopamine !

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19906954

One way to approach this would be to practice alternate day eating, or intermittent fasting. I've been doing the Leangains approach to fasting 16/8 but the effect wasn't as strong as when I did a full 24 hours of fasting.

Great advice Doctor Colossus!

Seriously don't stop eating for a week, it's a horrible idea. You're not a camel, you're a human. Eat regular meals, live well. You can eat anything you like in moderation. Just make sure you enjoy it.
"I think the existential dilemma is: We're social animals, so we all wrestle with a sense of inadequacy. But when we realize that we're not as inadequate as we thought we were, and when we realize that everybody elese also thinks they're inadequate, then the ache goes away and the idea that we're not a person of value disappears to some extent."

"I wash myself with a rag on a stick"
JimmyDeansRetartedCousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:06 PM   #19 (permalink)

drive a sports car...

-------------------------------------------------------
CopadoMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:03 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDeansRetartedCousin View Post
Great advice Doctor Colossus!

Seriously don't stop eating for a week, it's a horrible idea. You're not a camel, you're a human. Eat regular meals, live well. You can eat anything you like in moderation. Just make sure you enjoy it.
In what part of my post did I say not to eat for a week ? I challenge all the members of the peanut gallery of this forum to contribute not by criticizing the ideas and suggestions of others, specially before trying them, but rather, by coming up with novel ideas of your own.

Duke,

if you take a moment to read about celiac disease you'll find that it is the extreme manifestation of a gluten allergy. Over 90% of the population has some degree of intolerance to gluten and the grains that contain them. Some people even develop antibodies to it and have tissue damage without having any symptoms. Grains in general, are best avoided altogether.