X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Nutrition, Supplements and Exercise

Old 10-19-2008, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Causes of low Stomach Acid..

Deficient L-histidine.

Low Stomach HCL can lead to:

Osteoporosis
Candida
Malabsorption and subsequent deficiencies
bad breath
gas, belching, bloating after eating carbs..

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11781289

Ya man...I had a gut feeling about this

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=artBody;col1
Beggiatoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

i think this research is related to this

Are Anxiety and Depression Related to Gastrointestinal Symptoms in the General Population?

"Conclusions: In this population study there was a strong relationship between gastrointestinal symptoms, anxiety disorders and depression. These findings suggest that mental disorders in patients with gastrointestinal symptoms are not merely a consequence of selection bias in patient materials but connected to the symptoms themselves."

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...7?crawler=true

Eddard - "That's the only time a man can be brave."
proximo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the link. I know you discovered your problems were due to low HCL a while back. I tell ya. I"m slow to come around. But you were right. Did you post anything about this before? Could you re-link?

good info on this site

http://www.townsendletter.com/July20...idemic0704.htm

"Possibly as a result of the overall over-consumption of food by the population, the lack of gastric acidity seems to have little effect on absorption of fat and carbohydrates"

which explains why people with low stomach acid tend to gain weight easily. However, there is a problem with the absorption of proteins...which explains why I have hypotonia and can't seem to build muscle at the gym...no matter how much protein I eat.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

-from wiki

"Supplementation of Histidine has been shown to cause rapid zinc excretion in rats with an excretion rate 3 to 6 times normal. [2][3]Some people take histidine in an attempt to raise their histamine levels. Histamine is released under conditions of higher osmolality (dehydration\salt). Raising histamine may be more effective by adapting the body to a higher osmolality by eating sodium without greatly increasing water intake and taking supplements that help the body adapt to those conditions (zinc\taurine\B1\B12). Histidine supplementation likely tricks the body into believing it is producing less histamine and assumes it is well or overhydrated and is better off without the nutrients used to maintain cellular hydration in a hyperosmotic state. Histidine supplementation however is inadvisable because one of the hallmarks of today's chronic diseases (diabetes, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's) is zinc depletion."

"Histidine can convert to histamine, which is a major neurotransmitter in your brain & throughout parts of your nervous system. However, histidine intake does not always increase brain histamine, Low brain histamine levels are associated with hyperactivity, mania, paranoia, hallucinations, & abnormal thoughts. Many brain functions of histamine are poorly understood but it is thought to participate in the secretion of 2 hormones, (prolactin & antidiuretic). It is thought to aid temperature regulation & be involved in the control of automatic nerve response in the central nervous system.*

Vitamin E deficiency will cause the depletion of histidine from muscles. Histidine is involved with the regulation of zinc levels in your body. If zinc is excessive it will lower histidine; if histidine is excessive it will decrease zinc levels. But appropriate levels of histidine enhance zinc levels.* "

http://www.thewayup.com/products/0059.cfm

Salt is the raw material needed to manufacture stomach acid. Stomach acid is hydrochloric acid that is necessary to digest food, ensure absorption of minerals, activate pepsin (protein digestive enzyme produced by the stomach) and activate the "intrinsic factor" necessary to absorb vitamin B12.

Restricted salt intakes will make you heat intolerant and over the long term will result in digestive problems including belching, burping, intestinal gas and G.E.R.D. (gastro esophageal reflux disease).

Restricted salt diets with the resultant hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid) will increase risks of nutritional deficiency diseases including obesity (reduced absorption of minerals increases the munchies), diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, osteoporosis, kidney stones, cataracts, fibromyalgia, etc.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

ginger is increasing the stomach acid. On the other hand magnesium reduces stomach acid production.

Also silica as it is related body ph and thiamin is related stomach acid.

for every problem of mine I encounter silica or thiamin somewhere on the research. Could not find if those two are related yet.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

I know magnesium increases the stomach PH. That's why I switched to magnesium malate. Hopefully the malic acid content will help with this. I'm curious though, I've been taking magnesium lactate (lactic acid). Should the lactic acid help acidify my gut and stomach?

I found this online. Mag lactate is used as a buffer in food preparations. So in the stomach, it should act as a buffer and reduce the alkalinization brought on by the magnesium. In short, the combo. should not affect the pH of the stomach all too much.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

about silica

today i had this horsetail which provides some silica and as you said I am much more comfortable.

Today I shouted from the back of the bus to the driver how much we were going to wait and then I walked out of the bus because I was not tired as usual.

Plus I feel like my gait has changed. i move easily, breath easy, no sleep after meals.

wonderful but i need to learn the supp you were using and where did you buy it.

I dont want to use horsetail as i dont know how it effects the estrogen level(phytoestrogen) or insulin level.

"Silica is an essential mineral for healthy hair, skin and teeth and to protect against baldness, infection, poor vision, mental fatigue and nervous exhaustion. It is vital in the formation of healthy red blood cells and blood circulation. Silica deficiency is often related to the formation of arthritic conditions."

Old 10-23-2008, 08:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Cayenne peppers also increase gastric juices, kill candida, increases circulation (this makes other supplements work better). I took 1 gram last night and I could feel the heat going all around my body. It was an interesting experience.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20060...insulin-spikes

cayenne peppers also help control insulin spikes in diabetes.

So, proximo, if you think you have hyperinsulinemia, then this is the supp for you

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails....1&pid=458&at=0
Old 10-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Found this at the curezone..

Niacin Deficiency as a source of hypochlorhydria. It can cure it in two weeks, apparently.

http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=839264

Suggested dose is 1-3 grams/day of niacin (in divided doses).

I already have niacinamide. It's worth a try before running out and buying more supplements for digestion. I do have Betaine HCL on the way though.

This provides more evidence for this matter
http://www.orthomolecular.org/librar...n04-p225.shtml

"Individuals having a vitamin B3 dependency tend to have disturbances in mood (e.g., anxiety, depression and fatigue), and vague somatic complaints,....The primary somatic complaints of individuals with vitamin B3 dependency are be gastrointestinal disturbances with hypochlorhydria."

"...histamine release caused by the niacin might have influenced a greater release of HCl from the gastric parietal cells."

This is really good reading

"When an individual is stressed, their requirements for vitamin B3 will need to increase, due to increased amounts of adrenalin (epinephrine) being released from the adrenal medulla, creating more oxidized adrenalin.44 To convert the increased oxidized adrenalin back to original adrenalin, the reducing ability of NAD is necessary, and thus the need for more vitamin B3."

Since we are usually stressed and have high adrenaline, our B3 is depleted faster and that will further lower stomach HCL.

"Vitamin B3 is critical for the maintenance of optimal parietal cell function and is integral for the production of ATP that drives HCl secretion."
Old 10-23-2008, 04:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

I want to add my experience tonight.

I made a heavy whole wheat pasta dinner with chicken hearts (yum!), mushrooms, tomatoes, apples, turmeric, coconut oil, celtic salt and walnut oil. After eating, I felt stuffed and bloating. I also started having burps and gas. After 20 minutes, I still had this heavy feeling in my stomach. I then took 1 gram of niacinamide and within 20 minutes or so, the gas was gone and the belching stopped. I also heard stomach grumbling sounds (a good sign!) which I hadn't heard in a long time. So it appears, this stuff really works!

To think, I almost threw away 2 bottles of niacinamide the other day. I was taking resveratrol for longevity reasons and niacinamide counters this effect. I'm glad I didn't...I'll just stop the resveratrol for now.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

Grrrr.r.r.......Damn this world! Nothing is without consequence.

From Linus Pauling website

"Nicotinamide

Nicotinamide is generally better tolerated than nicotinic acid. It does not generally cause flushing. However, nausea, vomiting, and signs of liver toxicity (elevated liver enzymes, jaundice) have been observed at doses of 3 grams/day (33). Nicotinamide has resulted in decreased insulin sensitivity at doses of 2 grams/day in adults at high risk for insulin-dependent diabetes (20). "

So at the doses they recommend to treat low stomach acid, it can cause liver toxicity, jaundice and decreased insulin resistance (which could lead to hyperinsulinemia)

GRrrrrreat!
Old 10-23-2008, 06:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have too much, I have to take proton pump inhibitors to stop acid reflux.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

This study says these side effects are confined to sustained released formulas of niacin and are largely exaggerated.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca View Post
I have too much, I have to take proton pump inhibitors to stop acid reflux.
You're only making it worse. You think you have too much because ir refluxes up the esophagus and causes burning, right? This is caused by a whole other mechanism. It is usually caused by LOW stomach acid. My mom has this and it keeps her up at night. I gave her ONE tablespoon L-glutamine in water....she slept like a baby. Glutamine actually helps tighten the sphincter to prevent reflux.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ahhhhhh for get it! Large doses niacin can cause homocysteinuria, blurred vision, liver damage, diabetes problems...

Too bad..this seemed to good to be true. NEXT!
Old 10-23-2008, 08:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

In this context ginger,garlic can be also considered. I don't think it is a coincidense that these things also work against candida.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #17 (permalink)

I bought a ginger extract. I will start to use it. On the other hand, I started using a cayenne extract I bought, man..this is powerful stuff.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

Found another supplement that's supposed to increase dopamine and norepinephrine naturally

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails....1&pid=711&at=0

NAD is a coenzyme needed all over the body. Actually, my previous idea of using high dose Niacin was really about NAD. Niacin gets converted in the body into niacinamide and then into NAD. So, maybe supplementing with NAD will also increase HCL???

"Both forms of vitamin B3 are precursors to NAD+, which is then converted to the energy-rich reduced coenzyme, NADH, that plays a critical role in complex I of the mitochondrial respiratory chain.54 Half the parietal cell volume is occupied by mitochondria,55 making the parietal cells the largest storehouse of mitochondria among all eukaryotic cells.56 Basic biochemistry has revealed to us that the free energy produced by oxidative phosphorylation within the mitochondria is used to produce ATP. A report by Spenney,55 elucidating the mechanisms of HCl secretion, has shown it to be an ATP-dependent process. The ATP synthesized from mitochondrial energy, once stimulated to breakdown, mediates HCl secretion, and provides the necessary fuel that facilitates the exchange of K+ for H+ occurring within the canalicular membrane of the parietal cell.55 Chloride ions are also actively transported into the lumen of the parietal cell where they combine with hydrogen ions to form HCl.5"
Old 11-07-2008, 06:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

Women veterans have high prevalence of IBS and dyspepsia symptoms, both of which are highly associated with presence of depression, anxiety and PTSD.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18785989

Many patients with nonulcer dyspepsia have multiple somatic complaints, as well as symptoms of anxiety and depression.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20040701/107.html

Well I think this is vice versa when we are stressed it is harder to digest.

But I believe that the main cause of anxiety is poor digestion. I mean how can I interact with people if my whole energy is used for digestion.

After poor digestion comes the deficiencies. I don't know why a digestive system works slow. It may change from person to person just like our brains. Maybe genetic.

But having acid reflux does not mean you are digesting properly it is the opposite actually.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #20 (permalink)

the whole abstract

Studies of dyspepsia show a 1% to 2% prevalence in adults, and 25% to 40% of these patients do not have a physical reason for their symptoms. These findings prompted us to do a retrospective follow-up study of 390 patients having motility studies for chest pain and gastrointestinal (GI) symptoms; 278 (71%) responded. Patients were asked to complete a self-rating symptom questionnaire regarding current GI symptoms and current symptoms of anxiety, panic, and depression; they were also asked to complete the Brief Symptom Inventory. Two groups were compared--those with known heart disease and those without heart disease. Substantial numbers of patients in both groups satisfied criteria for generalized anxiety disorders (> 70%), panic disorder (> 30%), and major depression (> 35%). GI symptoms compatible with nonulcer dyspepsia were strongly associated with a psychiatric diagnosis. Our data suggest that anxiety and depressive states are strongly associated with dyspepsia and other GI symptoms not caused by ulcer disease.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8506484