Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Bruises after running

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  millenniumman75 
#1 ·
Do you get bruises after running? I used to only get them after long runs (maybe sometimes after a 10k). The other day though, I did just 4 miles on the treadmill and the next day had a huge bruise on my thigh.

#3 ·
From running? No, never. The only plausible bruise I can think of is a bruised heel. Since you're getting them on your thighs, I'm thinking too much, too soon and that's leading to the bursting of blood vessels/capillaries as your muscles expand/use/demand more oxygen. It could also be related to anemia or nutritional deficiencies. This isn't a normal part of running and my first steps to this would be:

a- rest, ice, and elevate the bruised area
c- make sure I'm getting adequate nutrition and I'm not anemic
b- cut back on the intensity I'm running at and gradually build

Gut says you're just putting too much on your legs too soon and to cut back then gradually build back up.

#4 ·
From running? No, never. The only plausible bruise I can think of is a bruised heel. Since you're getting them on your thighs, I'm thinking too much, too soon and that's leading to the bursting of blood vessels/capillaries as your muscles expand/use/demand more oxygen. It could also be related to anemia or nutritional deficiencies. This isn't a normal part of running and my first steps to this would be:

a- rest, ice, and elevate the bruised area
c- make sure I'm getting adequate nutrition and I'm not anemic
b- cut back on the intensity I'm running at and gradually build

Gut says you're just putting too much on your legs too soon and to cut back then gradually build back up.
I do have low iron (is there any female runner who doesn't?). My dr knows this and even tested the coagulation capacity of my blood, whatever that marker is, and was stumped. I was just wondering if others experienced it too, I guess it's not normal from the sounds of it.

#5 ·
Nope. Just the general soreness from time to time.

#8 ·
I would check nutrition - perhaps try taking a supplement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.