Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Afraid Of Looking Foolish At The Gym

1K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  WhatBITW 
#1 ·
I've been eating healthier and working out at home which has been pretty good, but I would like to join a gym to get a more complete body workout.

The problem is I've never joined a gym before and I'm basically hesitant to join because I don't know what I'm doing. Well because of SA as well. I don't know what all the machines do or how to do all the free weight lifts properly or even what exercises to do exactly for my workout while I'm there etc.

#3 ·
part of a membership should be basic assistance in using the machines and weights, and you can sign up with a personal trainer to show you what to do in more depth

#6 ·
There is a similar type gym that just opened up really close to where I live called YouFit. Membership starts at $10 a month as well. That's where I was thinking of joining up if I do.

#7 ·
I used to be the same when i was younger before i joined my first gym, you worry others will be looking at you but reality everyone's just focused on their own workout. Get a personal trainer for a few sessions when you start most gyms should offer that and just tell him/her you're a newbie. That's probably the best way you can just read books on it but a PT is prob the best option. Just realize that they may not necessarily be right about everything if they put you on a training programme as i discovered.
I'd recommend using the machines at a minimum and focusing on using free weights (barbells, dumbell etc) machines don't conform to your own natural movement much.

#8 ·
Most people don't a **** about you and what you do in the gym, don't worry. As long as you don't get in the way of others work. And if there are people that do care, then they are probably insecure douchebags anyway. There might even be some people who offer some friendly and helpful advice. Or if you're confident enough to, even asking some people for some advice, because generally people are happy to help out others who are just starting. We all share the same passion and hobby for fitness. But in my experience, most people just keep to themselves, focus on themselves, and you'll get a glance at most because thats just the natural thing to do when you see movement, to look at it. I basically shut out the world and only I exist in the gym. Earphones/headphones help shut out everything. Earphones on, world off.

#10 ·
Now I have gotten over the issue of going to gym/classes- I started going to dance which was hard at first...But now I know all the people so it's nice and comfortable. That may be an option- join some activity that would imply a lot of the same people every time, versus different people each time if you just go to the gym.
However I also work out at home a lot- there are a lot of workouts you can find on youtube that can be effective, or buy a program. Personally I am a fan of T25, it's been really useful for me.

#11 ·
I have power rack and bench along with 400lbs of weights and dumbbells in my basement. Nobody ever gets in the way, no one is around to judge me, I never have an excuse that I can't get to the gym.

I just workout at any point in the day that I feel well enough. I can listen to music on a soundsystem when I workout instead of just crappy headphones. I don't have to use a disgusting public changeroom or shower either.

I paid $1116 for the power rack, $125 for the bench and $200 for everything else. Buying used off classifieds like kijiji or Craigslist is the way to go.

#12 ·
Hey OP,

First, congrats on taking the step towards eating better and working out. It will make a huge difference in every area of your life if you stick with it.

Like a few others have mentioned, one thing you could try is hiring a trainer for a few sessions just so they can show you some basic exercises and proper form.

Once you have the basics down, you can always do your own thing, or if you like the trainer, continue working with them.

Stick with mostly free weight exercises and focus on the big basic lifts like bench press, squats, deadlifts, chin ups, rows, and shoulder presses.

Also, I disagree with using only a home gym. If you have social anxiety, the gym is the perfect place to get out there and meet new people to become more comfortable in social situations. It's actually less intimidating than you think, since most people are there to work out and won't be paying attention to what you're doing.

The more you go, the more familiar you will become with the regulars and also the employees, and you will naturally start to develop acquaintances and friends.

If you have any questions at all, I'd be glad to help. I used to be a personal trainer myself and have been working out for over 10 years, so I have a good amount of experience.

Good luck.

#13 ·
Thank you.

This is a very encouraging post and I appreciate the advice. I think I might take you up on the offer with some questions in the future.

#14 ·
Another idea that might help is look for videos online of how to use the machines. A friend of mine went with me when I first started and got me on a routine and how to use the machines. Most of them are pretty straightforward and some have the instructions posted on them. I know my gym offers a complimentary session with a personal trainer when you register, but I never used it.

I go to Gold's Gym which is probably one of the more "pro" gyms compared to YouFit and PlanetFitness, and I haven't been laughed at or bothered by anyone. But I don't really talk to anyone unless they ask if they can work in with me or ask how many sets I have left. As others mentioned, no one is really paying attention to anyone other than their own workout.

It made me really nervous at first, but after a time or two I was fine. You should have no problem if it's anything like here.

This post has been deleted
#17 ·
Well to get in shape and stay in shape and mostly to get a better full body workout because I don't have the space or money right now for a home gym.

Also with the summer heat- and later freezing winter- I want to be able to workout year round as well which I won't be able to do as effectively in the extreme temps and weather conditions.

#16 ·
I run the streets. It's only as expensive as the gear I wear, the three year old radio headset and a 15 year old MP3 player that uses a floppy disk-like thing to store music....that is not even supported on Windows7! It's THAT old. :lol

#18 ·
I would advise setting goals before you start. Find out what you want to accomplish going to the gym and have as a clear idea as possible of what you want your body to be/do but be realistic though. That way you'll always know why you're there and will have something to focus on and to distract you from other thoughts. There is a wealth of information on the internet for fitness beginners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.