What could you have done differently? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Protector of the Den

My Mood: Confused
What could you have done differently?

What could you have done differently to be more productive with your goals? How did you waste time recently that could've gone towards achieving your goals? or are there other ways you've recently sabotaged yourself?

I thought of this topic last night when I was thinking about how it seems like I'll never achieve working 12 hours in a day on my goals. I know that is a lot, but I want to be able to potentially do that if it becomes necessary to succeed at being self-employed. I can't even get in a 6 hour day most times which should be easy considering I'm unemployed.

The 6 hours I wasted last night on the internet contributed to my failing yesterday's goal of 3 hours of productivity. The 5 hours I spent this morning on youtube and other websites, isn't going to be helping things today either.

Hope we can all learn to not repeat our mistakes. Now I'm off to hopefully get some stuff done.

Aim at the sun, and you may not reach it; but your arrow will fly far higher than if aimed at an object on a level with yourself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Protector of the Den

Spending over an hour on SAS after I said I was going to get to work. Well onto working on stuff for real this time

Aim at the sun, and you may not reach it; but your arrow will fly far higher than if aimed at an object on a level with yourself
post #3 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Protector of the Den

Yesterday, morning I spent 7 hours straight on the internet. Later in the day ended up not getting my 3 hours in of working on stuff. Could've spent my time more wisely

post #4 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 12:56 PM
SAS Member

I hear what you're saying @slyfox . It seems that I rarely accomplish all of the things that I want to get done each day. What kind of goals do you have? I was unemployed for about a year, and during that time, my days fluctuated quite a bit in terms of productivity. Since July, I've been working at CVS, and while the job itself has been going decently, it's only become harder to focus on other areas of my life.
post #5 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Protector of the Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox93 View Post
I hear what you're saying @slyfox . It seems that I rarely accomplish all of the things that I want to get done each day. What kind of goals do you have? I was unemployed for about a year, and during that time, my days fluctuated quite a bit in terms of productivity. Since July, I've been working at CVS, and while the job itself has been going decently, it's only become harder to focus on other areas of my life.
@Fox93

I've been mostly wanting to become self-employed. I've been wanting to sell arts and crafts but I might have to consider other options.

Yeah it can be really hard to have energy to work on other things while you are working. Know I have little energy to do things now. Not sure how I would manage if I returned to work. As weird as it seems, I seem to get less done now than when I was working.

Good luck with your job. You haven't had it very long, so maybe as time passes and you get used to the routine you'll get some energy back to work on other areas of your life.

post #6 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 07:38 PM
SAS Member

I spend too much time on line in the evenings. I too am tired when I get home from work. I've been working almost 3-1/2 years and still can't do much when I get home. I think it was actually better when I first started working than now. But now at least I go to the gym twice a week after work.
post #7 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 08:57 PM
Seriously , never serious

My Mood: Breezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox View Post
What could you have done differently to be more productive with your goals? How did you waste time recently that could've gone towards achieving your goals? or are there other ways you've recently sabotaged yourself?

I thought of this topic last night when I was thinking about how it seems like I'll never achieve working 12 hours in a day on my goals. I know that is a lot, but I want to be able to potentially do that if it becomes necessary to succeed at being self-employed. I can't even get in a 6 hour day most times which should be easy considering I'm unemployed.

The 6 hours I wasted last night on the internet contributed to my failing yesterday's goal of 3 hours of productivity. The 5 hours I spent this morning on youtube and other websites, isn't going to be helping things today either.

Hope we can all learn to not repeat our mistakes. Now I'm off to hopefully get some stuff done.

Being self employed involves a whole lot of time on a computer so instead of doing invoicing , quotes , tax , buisness plans , advertising , budgets etc etc you spent the same amount of time doing other computer things so I'd call that as part of the day .

. WTF is wrong with me

post #8 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 09:23 PM
Yellow Alert

My Mood: Worried
Nothing. Everything I and everyone else has ever done happened because of preceding circumstances. It couldn't have gone any other way since there was no randomness involved.
post #9 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Protector of the Den

Yesterday got off to a bad start. Instead of just doing what I could, I chose to give up and wait until today

@Grog I just need to convert all that computer time to actual work on the computer and I'll be set

post #10 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 03:47 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sneaky
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox View Post
Yesterday got to a bad start. Instead of just doing what I could, I chose to give up and wait until today

@Grog I just need to convert all that computer time to actual work on the computer and I'll be set
Yeah, I'm the same. If I feel anxious in the morning about school I end up skipping it, even though I've talked it through with myself and know that it's smarter to go because I'll be less stressed about the next time. It's always frustrating to look back on what an idiot you've been
post #11 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 09:03 AM
SAS Member

@slyfox - Do you mind me asking how long you've been unemployed and what your last job was?
post #12 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Protector of the Den

@Fox93 my last job was working in a warehouse and delivering auto parts. I've been unemployed since May of 2013 I believe.

Wasted most of today again. Might see if I can get some stuff done before midnight

post #13 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 08:00 PM
SAS Member

@slyfox - So why did you leave? And what kind of living situation do you have going on now? Sorry for all personal the questions - I'm trying to figure a lot of things out in my life right now, so I'm just curious to learn about the paths that others have taken.
post #14 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Protector of the Den

I left because of back problems and a lot of psychological issues. Not sure if I should've pursued something with my back, but I would've had trouble confronting my supervisors while having anxiety problems.

post #15 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 08:10 AM
SAS Member

@slyfox Sorry to hear about that. Was it an injury caused by the job? Are you living with your parents now, or are you receiving some sort of disability payments?
post #16 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Protector of the Den

I've been told I have a herniated disk in my back but the doctors seem to think it is mostly muscle pain. I think my work contributed for sure because I often had to carry a lot of rotors and car batteries.

Not on disability, but I've been pursuing it because my parents understandably have been pushing me on it. I live with my girlfriend. I have paid my share through my savings, debt, and aide from my parents. Feel really guilty/depressed about my parents helping and that I shouldn't have an excuse for working less than 6-12 hours a day on fixing things while they are helping. Might have to get my time up gradually because I'm doing so bad at doing that much right away.

post #17 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 07:00 AM
SAS Member

@slyfox - That sounds like a difficult situation.

I've read through your Monthly goals! thread. How long have you been into stone carving? And have you made any actual attempts yet at selling your crafts online?
post #18 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Protector of the Den

@Fox93

I started wood carving in 2010. I did wood burning quite awhile before wood carving. Not sure when I switched my interest to stone carving, but it was at least 3 years ago. Now that I think about it I got a lot more done when I was working with wood. I tried selling a few wood carvings but only managed to sell one at a ridiculously low price.

When I actually work on things, I spend most of my time drawing because I figure it will help me with other areas.

post #19 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 08:14 AM
SAS Member

@slyfox How did you first get started doing crafts (in general)? Is that something you were into during school?

What's holding you back on putting some of these up for sale? Do you just feel like you aren't ready yet? I saw your picture from about a year ago of the stone carved faces (with the quarter between them). Do you have any more recent photos that you could share?
post #20 of 138 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Protector of the Den

@Fox93

I was into drawing since I was a little kid. I probably took a interest in other crafts around high school. Wood burning was one of my first, but that is basically drawing with a burning pen. I like experimenting with new ways to make things. I've played around with so many things that I haven't stuck with(tile mosaics, leatherworking, basket weaving, etc).

With drawing I feel I'm not ready for sure. Way too much competition who are much more skilled and my work isn't consistent at my skill level. I probably could sell some sort of craft as I improve at it though. Despite acting like stone carving is my thing, I have to admit I've done very little of it considering how much time I've had. Since that pic I've worked on another stone face, an abstract pendant, started a heart pendant, hand polished a few stones(don't own a rock tumbler), and just collected more stones for carving. Wouldn't be surprised if I have hundreds of stones sitting around for every stone I've actually carved

Only really have pics somewhere for the abstract pendant and a polished Petoskey stone. The abstract pendant looked fine in normal light but the camera flash revealed I had really screwed up drilling the hole

Lately, I've been trying to get into soldering and repousse/chasing(embossing) metal. I really need to stick with stuff.

You are sure curious Sorry if I typed too much. Thanks for the interest. What are some things you'd like to accomplish?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page