X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Goal Setting

Old 07-25-2012, 07:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Quit being late/procrastinating

I'm going to make an effort to stop procrastinating and being late. I'm late for most everything in my life. And it's hurt more than helped me in my life. I don't know if this goal setting will be attainable for me but it's worth a try. Since I'm a procrastinator, I'll probably tell myself I'll try starting this tomorrow or the next day or even maybe next week.
I don't know if I'm even able to be saved at this point. Maybe these ways are so engrained in my being there's no remedy to curb these bad habits. Hopefully, I can but my faith in myself is rather low. I really hate these habits about myself. I guess they have become characteristics of me because they are expected by people I know.

Anyone else have these issues of being chronically late and procrastinating?
callalilly26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

So have you started yet?

What other people think of you is none of your business

L-O-S-E Y-O-U-R-S-E-L-F
Lasair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Same here..
i started since today
Old 07-26-2012, 03:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Same... I'm procrastinating right now..
But I'm inspired and I'll start at 2 pm!
Strwbrry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

ha ha I have not yet started. Attempted but not started! Oh the joys of being a procrastinator. I'm glad I'm not alone in this!
Old 08-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

If there was a like option for your post I would have definitely liked this. If you find a good way to stop procrastinating. Let me know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strwbrry View Post
Same... I'm procrastinating right now..
But I'm inspired and I'll start at 2 pm!
Old 08-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

I set a goal of learning how to skateboard...4 years ago. Now i'm on my bed surfing the internet. I feel so unfit.
marokji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

I need this thread.I'm a chronic procrastinator(hey,that sounds like some sci-fi villain),and starting today that ends.

Chandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

So good to know that I'm not alone! I have an essay due tomorrow morning. Haven't even started yet. But in 15 minutes.... Mark my words, I WILL stop procrastinating
Thanks for the idea!
Old 08-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Oh god, yes. Managed to stop for a while but then I rediscovered the internet. I'm aiming to start kicking the habit again tomorrow morning.
I've found thus far that having a specific item of clothing or piece of music that I associate only with working on a specific task worked for a while (I got really sick of listening to the Pirates of Penzance/Father Ted over and over again and then never really got round to finding anything else suitable).
cucumbermoisturecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by callalilly26 View Post
I'm going to make an effort to stop procrastinating and being late. I'm late for most everything in my life. And it's hurt more than helped me in my life. I don't know if this goal setting will be attainable for me but it's worth a try. Since I'm a procrastinator, I'll probably tell myself I'll try starting this tomorrow or the next day or even maybe next week.
I don't know if I'm even able to be saved at this point. Maybe these ways are so engrained in my being there's no remedy to curb these bad habits. Hopefully, I can but my faith in myself is rather low. I really hate these habits about myself. I guess they have become characteristics of me because they are expected by people I know.

Anyone else have these issues of being chronically late and procrastinating?
I've never been one to be late (I'm always early otherwise my anxiety goes through the roof) although I am pretty bad when it comes to procrastination. I once read somewhere that procrastination can be a subconscious attempt to stop yourself from moving on with your life because you don't believe in better or believe you don't deserve better. Is this the case with you? In which case positive thinking can work wonders.

Old habits die hard but I'm sure you can it do it. It's a process start small and build up
cherryboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #12 (permalink)

I'm not usually late, but I'm a big procrastinator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryboom View Post
I once read somewhere that procrastination can be a subconscious attempt to stop yourself from moving on with your life because you don't believe in better or believe you don't deserve better.
In a way, I think that's how my head works. That and the fear of failing...
Lilac Swirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'm really bad at procrastinating and being late
I have kind of found a solution for being late to work. My trick is to schedule something I enjoy (but is not addictive) before I have to leave like cook a good breakfast or do some yoga.
mr.shyguy311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

Yes, I do have these problems. I can stop being late to things easier than I can stop procrastinating on tasks, but it requires being obsessive about it, wasting a lot of time being excessively early instead, and losing sleep (when sleep deprivation is much of why I have so much trouble in the first place).
carambola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Unfortunately the bottom line is you just have to get up and do whatever it is that needs doing. I've heard two tips that sound interesting (but that I haven't tried!). One is to tell yourself your just going to work on whatever it is for ten minutes because then you'll usually end up continuing.

The other tip only applies if you're procastinating because you're being lazy and don't feel like doing anything. In that case, you should actually do nothing. Because usually being lazy and not doing anything really means screwing around on the internet or watching tv. So the idea is to actually stop and do nothing, and then you're supposed to get bored enough that you start doing whatever it is you were putting off.

But see, even with those tips, it all comes down to just doing the damn thing.

I used to procrastinate like crazy. I'd say that now, I just procrastinate. I just try to think of how good it feels to get done with things and how bad it feels to be overwhelmed and feeling like I can't get things done (especially when I have so much time that it's unnecessary to feel that way).

Good luck! (And stop reading about how to not procrastinate - that's just another way to procrastinate!)
Miss Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:43 AM   #16 (permalink)

Being late is also my problem.I have been facing it for many years.I have tried my level best to do task on time but always fail to to it.This has been noticed in my every action and yet I could not get rid to it.Now I thought seriously about it.Now it is my goal to over come this issue.
Budd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

I'm always punctual when I need to show up somewhere at a certain time but I'm a horrible procrastinator. I've got to improve on that now as my university courses have begun and I need to work on homework and stuff. I think this may be due to my long-lasting low-level depression that makes it hard for me to enjoy doing things. It's far easier to procrastinate which doesn't require much effort compared to working on homework assignments for example even though doing the former may not be any more enjoyable.
A SAD Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #18 (permalink)

Hey guys- here's what I recently wrote about procrastination:
http://confidencecues.com/?p=1663

There's a nice resource on Psychology Today. Check it out.

For those of you who find it hard to be punctual- ask yourself whether you like what you are doing. it's either you hate it and so you need to change job. More often, we do not have a choice because we need a job. In that case we need to change the way we look at things. get yourself fired up with what you do. be inspired. Think of the people you love most. Think of the people you work with. Stop thinking of yourself and start valuing others.

Good luck!
pinoyleonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:50 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shidrewbie View Post
I'm really bad at procrastinating and being late
I have kind of found a solution for being late to work. My trick is to schedule something I enjoy (but is not addictive) before I have to leave like cook a good breakfast or do some yoga.
that's a great idea. i'd like to try that too to add enthusiasm to my job.

I don't really get late or at least not too late. e have flexi hours and people are self-regulating so 45 minutes late is just fine. depends really on your commitments for the day.
pinoyleonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #20 (permalink)

I know it's months later but I just read this. And to answer your question, yes, I think it may be a subconscious attempt to stop myself from moving on with my life.
That's a very good explanation. I always think I'm a failure and I don't deserve any better. I've been trying the positive thinking thing but it's not so easy. But I'm trying And I'll continue to try until I can do it effortlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryboom View Post
I've never been one to be late (I'm always early otherwise my anxiety goes through the roof) although I am pretty bad when it comes to procrastination. I once read somewhere that procrastination can be a subconscious attempt to stop yourself from moving on with your life because you don't believe in better or believe you don't deserve better. Is this the case with you? In which case positive thinking can work wonders.

Old habits die hard but I'm sure you can it do it. It's a process start small and build up