Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Anyone find alcohol makes you feel better?

84K views 87 replies 83 participants last post by  SpiderInTheCorner 
#1 ·
Anyone find that you feel loads better after having alcohol? Like after a few drinks all your anxiety and worries slip away, and you are able to do things socially you never would be able to do normally? Like at a party recently I got drunk and i was able to carry on a conversation with a girl and even hooked up. Normally i'd be so anxious and timid i'd barely be able to utter anything and just pretend i'm busy doing something else. I'm not saying that you should become an alcoholic, but it raises the interesting question if we do have something interesting to say but its just the fact we're so damn nervous all the time and worried about what people think that makes our mind go blank and what we say to come out as weird.

#2 ·
It's really not good to drink with SA, those feelings are not good because they do lead to alcoholism.

#4 ·
I've hit both extremes. Sometimes I'll feel extremely happy and willing to talk, not self conscious at all. Other times it makes my anxiety 100 times worse. It depends if I'm surrounded by a group of people I know or a bunch of strangers.

I've also had times where the day after drinking I'll be hungover but in a extremely sociable and comfortable mood. I really wish I could bottle up that feeling.

I think it shows that there's clearly some kind of chemical imbalance in our brains. Not that alcohol is the answer, but maybe that medication can help.

#5 ·
dutch courage

dutch courage works most of the time
at first anyway
I only drink when I'm feeling good already so that it doesn't feel like its becoming a crutch. That leads to trouble.:no

#7 ·
Drinking does allow me to loosen up and feel like I can be my authentic self in social settings. Which feels great at the time, but once I sober up I'm so remorseful and end up spending the next day analyzing every word my drunk self said to everyone. That's why I haven't wound up an alcoholic. So far.

#13 ·
It's odd for me
It lessens the anxiety, but I feel like crap. Kind of like watching someone push me down a cliff and being forced to watch (out of body experience not included).
Or like unleashing a wild dog. Not much you can do other than let it run it's course and clean up the mess.
Or in hopefully better chosen words, I'm aware of my intoxication and the implications of it, but am helpless to stop it.

#58 ·
This is exactly how I feel. I feel trapped within myself when I'm sober during social situations. Like there's a tiny me bashing at my clenched teeth trying to come out. When I drink I feel the way I usually do when I'm alone or in the comfort of my own home around my mom. Which is pretty out going and spontaneous. I know it's not healthy but....well ya know.

#17 ·
Alcohol definitely helps bring that anxiety level down. Sometimes to the point where I can become way too friendly and obnoxious. It's not always liquid courage though. Yea, I could have a couple drinks and be very loose around friends, orr I could have like 8 in me at a big party, and still feel really self-conscious.

#19 ·
It's not always liquid courage though. Yea, I could have a couple drinks and be very loose around friends, orr I could have like 8 in me at a big party, and still feel really self-conscious.
I've found this before. I've been super uninhibited with just a few drinks when i'm at a friend's house, but I was out somewhere recently and drank a bunch but just became crap at coordination. mentally, I felt the same (which was wonderful...i still fall down but i dont get to think its funny)

#18 ·
it makes me so happy. That's why I like it mostly. I'm still anxious though, just in a more normal way. I will talk to people without a second's thought (not overly chatty..i often feel like Im the quietest one there) but I'm so annoying because i'm always telling the people i'm with that people will hear us. i have such a deeply ingrained fear of people thinking badly of me that I told my friend about 15 times in 5 mins 9and quite loudly too) that people think we're being rude. i'm pretty sure at that point I was being louder than her but whatever.

The problem with drinking, I have realized, is that too often you forget what you do/did, but remember what everyone else said or did...meaning they know what you said when you let your guard down (fun fun fun for SA brian to freak out over the next day). Sparingly, it's ok. I'm actually usually the one who fakes taking a drink/keeps an eye on how much I've drunk because I hate blacking out (same reason).

#20 ·
I have found that personally, my SA ceases to exist once i've had a few drinks. Completely disappears. hell, once i've had a few drinks i'm walking up to random girls in clubs and getting with them, something that I doubt I could ever do sober.
However, the more drinks I have (to make me feel more confident), the more depressed and lonely I feel if i'm alone in my bedroom when I get home, and boy, i've had some borderline suicidal moments in the past.
In fact, the only times i've cried in my entire life have been when i've been drinking and am alone in my bed.
So, to conclude, alcohol in my experience has it's good and bad points.

#25 ·
Sobering up after a night of drinking always gives me an intense feeling of paranoia. In addition, Klonopin and liquor gives me blackouts. And apparently I am a very affectionate drunk, which is frightening.

#26 ·
I definitley use alcohol to help my social anxiety but I find I can go one of two ways, either makes me alot more social or can make me get very depressed/melancholic.

These days I can usually tell which way I am going to go based on my mood before I start drinking.

I think there are definite dangers of alcoholoism and drug addiction for social anxiety sufferers.

Luckily I have not gone down that path and hopefully I won't in the future.

#28 ·
My anxiety always goes away after a few drinks, but it's never just a few drinks. Why? Because that's the only time I feel at ease, the only time I'm funny, the only time I don't care what others think. Never mind that people are only laughing at my obnoxious comments because they are drunk too. Never mind that guy isn't really attracted to me. Never mind I'll be sick as hell tomorrow. Why should I care about that?

Yeah, one of these days, my anxiety is going to lead to alcoholism if I don't watch out. Oops.

#29 ·
If I have one beer or one glass of wine it almost completely alleviates my anxiety. Just one. Any more than that and I pass into social butterfly, then that quickly progresses to drunk girl all too fast. I like to have a glass of wine in the evening once or twice a week. I don't considered myself an alcoholic, but I am aware that I am self medicating. I can say that I like the side effects of alcohol much better than the side effects of any anti-depressant/anxiety med I've had before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.