Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

For you Klonopin users: how has it affected your appetite?

41K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  bezoomny 
#1 ·
Hi - I've been taking generic Klonopin (only 1mg/day) for about two weeks now, and since this time - I've noticed a very significant increase in my appetite. I'm wondering if this is due to the Klonopin, or if this is coincidental.

I can't afford to have an appetite increase! I'm already unrelentingly overweight - although it seems impossible for me to lose weight, I seem to gain weight much more easily. I've liked the fact that - overall - my appetite has been quite managable and in-control in recent years (although my actual weight hasn't). I don't want to regress to overeating unhealthy foods.

Anyway - anyone else notice an increased appetite on Klonopin? How has Klonopin affected your appetite?

#2 ·
Simply add Wellbutrin XL to your Klonopin and your appetite will return to normal or will be less. I really suggest using your Klonopin on a PRN basis instead of everyday or else you will become dependant and tolerant to it.

#4 ·
Well, as I shared in my other thread - I'm tapering off of bupropion due to severe hairloss that seems to be linked to this drug. (I wasn't on any extended or sustained release verson of bupropion - just the "immediate release" version, or whatever you call it...) I don't think getting back on even the name brand Wellbutrin XL is a good option for me - at least not at this time.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does "PRN" stand for? (I assume it has to do with some "as needed" basis.)

#7 ·
I take 4mg per day and have been for years.

I doesnt affect my appetite at all, however it also doesnt help the anxiety much either.

#8 ·
I've never found any benzo to have any effect on my eating or weight and I've used Klonopin, Valium, Xanax, & Ativan.

I've also never seen weight gain as a side effect listed for any benzo nor heard complaints about weight gain from benzos before. I'd say they're weight neutral.

#11 ·
Well, Klonopin could very well be a "weight neutral" drug for me if my appetite will just settle down!

From my years of experience on these drugs - I know the term "weight neutral" may not have anything to do with appetite at all. Not one of the drugs that caused a tremendous amount of weight-gain for me increased my appetite. In fact - when I was first put on Prozac - I had a compulsive overeating problem in addition to severe depression (it was on the level of bulimia, only I didn't purge) - and weighed about 136lbs. When Prozac started taking effect, my compulsive overeating problem disappeared (never to return again) - but there was still weight gain. In fact, I gained weight more rapidly on Prozac (and on other drugs) than I did when I had the compulsive overeating problem.

#12 ·
Benzos are in general weight neutral. I like Wellbutrin XL, but I think taking Benzos daily for a longer time and adding Bupropion could be problematic.

#14 ·
I'm new to Klonopin but I have found that it decreases my appetite. Rather, I just don't think about food. I was told by my doctor to take it twice daily to have the full therapeutic effects. Do doctor's prescribe it on an as needed basis? I think I might rather that as I am afraid of becoming too dependent on it.

With regards to Prozac, I have been taking it off and on for years now and have found that right when I start it I experience some loss of appetite, but that side-effect seems to wear off rather quickly. I guess it's different for every person. I tend to be more sensitive to medications though.

#16 ·
I swear Klonopin use to give me the munchies liks B**CH. Use to have this that is. I've been on it for atleast two years now. It doesn't do too much anymore. Taken as necessary would be a much better idea than everyday. I say this only because the withdrawal from Benzo's are pretty horrid and can last a long long time.

#17 ·
It hasn't that I know of. I have been eating less since I started taking it, but that might be due to something else, I've been kind of distracted lately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.