Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

question on meds

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  CopadoMexicano 
#1 ·
hi, Im 23 years old and suffered from anxiety and depression since I was in my late teens. Ive been taking different types of meds for the last couple of years, but I pretty much drank throughout the treatments and in the end gave up the meds, Ive had a big problem with alcohol since I was a teen. Recently I am trying to give up drinking and Ive started on meds again with zoloft 50 mg once a day. It's really hard without the drinking, ive gotten so used to turning to it, that without it I am having trouble getting out and doing anything. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, also has anybody had any success with zoloft, if so how long does it usually take to work?

thanks

#4 ·
I was on zoloft 50mg. I started feeling better after like a week, but its different for everyone. It worked good for me for awhile, but after like 6-8 weeks, i was getting bad migraines and racing thoughts. SO i got off it, but it definetly made my depression better, i might try going back on it but only taking 25 mg. I am on zanex and that really helps me, i take a half of one if i need it during the day, and one at night to sleep. so maybe you can try zanex. good luck to you

#6 ·
Hi, Shawn!

I haven't taken any medication yet so I can't help much.
Nevertheless, Welcome to SAS.

#7 ·
guitarguy said:
hi, Im 23 years old and suffered from anxiety and depression since I was in my late teens. Ive been taking different types of meds for the last couple of years, but I pretty much drank throughout the treatments and in the end gave up the meds, Ive had a big problem with alcohol since I was a teen. Recently I am trying to give up drinking and Ive started on meds again with zoloft 50 mg once a day. It's really hard without the drinking, ive gotten so used to turning to it, that without it I am having trouble getting out and doing anything. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, also has anybody had any success with zoloft, if so how long does it usually take to work?

thanks
Sounds very similar to my situation. I used to drink every time I went out anywhere to lessen my social anxiety, I even started to drink every day at work for over a year and then got fired for it. Here's a link to my post of my story of how I lived like this for so long; you might find it interesting: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=85430

Like you said, medications that I was prescribed just didn't do anything for me either. I have tried a few SSRIs and TCAs with no luck. The TCAs (Elavil) definitely made me feel generally more relaxed in non-social situations and really helped with my sleep but in terms of social anxiety it didn't help even one bit.

Benzos (ie: xanax, klonopin, valium) are probably the most potent short term solution to your problem but in most countries it is near impossible to get prescribed them because of doctors views towards their physiological addictive properties.

The "Gold Standard" in social anxiety treatment appears to be an MAOI antidepressant called NARDIL. There has been more success stories and higher rates of successful treatment noted with Nardil than with any other medication available. I have just recently been prescribed this and had to go out of my way to ask a duty doctor to prescribe this for me rather than my normal doctor. Your doctor may not be comfortable giving this to you because of the dietary restrictions and their lack of knowledge in this area - However, the best thing to do would be to print out all the information you can find from the internet relating social anxiety with Nardil, then bring it to your doctor, and also show a willingness to adhere to the dietary restrictions and chances are he/she will probably give it a shot.

I have only started to take this yesterday and it can take a while to kick in, but I am confident that if any medication will help me; it is going to be Nardil. As I said, google it and also check the Nardil threads on this board and you'll see why.

I would forget about Zoloft and not waste any more time like so many of us have on meds that just don't work and haven't been proven to work for social anxiety, and try something that has: Nardil, Parnate, Benzos.

I hope this helps Shawn and feel free to ask any more questions. :)

#9 ·
I have been on Zoloft for a month now. Nothing yet for me. Could take 6-8 weeks to feel anything.
I am also on the beta blocker Lopressor for two months and it has helped my anxiety TREMENDOUSLY! Especially when I have to play music in front of people.
Good luck!

#11 ·
minky said:
has anyone had good luck with celexa
I was on Celexa before Zoloft. The Celexa I actually felt better within one week, BUT, It gave me severe diarrea. I wish I could have stayed on the Celexa. My doctor even had me stop and restart it and the diarrea came right back. I only have sexual side effects with the Zoloft, but not helping my SA yet. Good luck and hope the Celexa works for you!

#12 ·
Ive been on zoloft for two years at 200mg and notice an improvement on my depression. Risperdal has been the best for me lately with my hallucinations and relaxation as well as diet. I tried others didnt find enough help with paxil zyprexa, geodon, cymbalta, or ativan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.