Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

need quick advice - over the counter stuff to calm anxiety?

12K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Lisa 
#1 ·
Anxiety has been going into overdrive at work.

I have developed a bit of hayfever in the past few months but not taken anything. Everyone tells me to take anti-histamines but they make you drowsy. Does the dowsiness calm anxiety? Or is there any other over-the-counter stuff I can take that will have an effect?

Please reply quickly I could buy something tomorrow in my lunch break.

Thanks!

#4 ·
UltraShy said:
Lisa said:
Does the drowsiness calm anxiety?
Well, it's hard to be nervous when you're barely even conscious, but I think there's a difference between being calm and simply being too tired to worry.

The only OTC product I've ever used that actually calms anxiety is alcohol. Not recommended for use at work.
Yes, I have actually considered that :lol but I do not want to sacrifice what little there is left of my reputation.

Thanks srschrim, I will see if they have that at the pharmacy.

Anyone know something else I could try?

#7 ·
paul6237 said:
Aside from what's already been mentioned - kava kava and theanine.
Kava and valerian root made me drowsy, theanine helps mildly with no side affects, but every little bit helps, i guess. Good luck, I hope you find something that works. btw there's an OTC product at GNC which has phenibut, downside is kava and valerian are also mixed into it, and it WILL make you drowsy, yet relaxed.
Thanks, I have a little list of stuff I can ask for tomorrow. This is so sad really.

#9 ·
paul6237 said:
Kava and valerian root made me drowsy, theanine helps mildly with no side affects, but every little bit helps, i guess. Good luck, I hope you find something that works. btw there's an OTC product at GNC which has phenibut, downside is kava and valerian are also mixed into it, and it WILL make you drowsy, yet relaxed.
I am all about the Kava. That stuff works really well for me.

#13 ·
I agree, try Kava. I suggest you get the one by Gaia Herbs, it's called "Kava Kava Professional Strength". I researched Kava a lot and found this one to the most powerful. It works within 20 minutes. Here's the link:

http://www.gaiaherbs.com/product.php?id=160

kikachuck said:
paul6237 said:
I am all about the Kava. That stuff works really well for me.

#17 ·
MavenMI6Agent009 said:
I heard somewhere that kava kava is bad for your health not sure exaclty what anatomy (liver)? is effected but correct me if Im wrong
Yeah, I've heard that, but almost nothing is immune to negative side effects if used in large doses. I read about this on wikipedia (grain of salt) and the main study where the claim comes from also said that most people who had liver problems while on the kava were mixing it with alcohol, which I don't do. So who knows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.