Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Jobs???

2K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  firestar 
#1 ·
Can everyone put an input to what the jobs an SA person can do please? It can be any wage wether it's high medium or low :)

#24 ·
Higher pay jobs: Work in Parks and Forestry, Astronomer, Field Geologist, some engineering jobs.
Yes - Engineering can be a good choice, and is also very good paying.

I've been a designer in R&D for over 10 years now. Most of my time is spent in a cubicle quietly working on my own tasks. The worst parts are meetings 1-2x/week (ugh) and the very rare presentation (YIKES!). A real plus is that the profession seems to attract fellow introverts and SA sufferers.

BUT... many a day goes by where I look out my office window at the mountains and wish I was out there doing Forestry or something truly alone.

#6 ·
Yes, I did landscaping for a very short time. It's fine.

Worst jobs for me: Restaurants, Retail and Health Care. Anything with customers or patients was a nightmare for me. And I don't even have full-blown SAD just performance anxiety/GAD.

#11 ·
Yeah..I kinda agree with this. Customers/public, can be very annoying, rude, but at least they come and go. Coworkers you have to deal with on a daily basis or whenever, which freaks me out a little.

#12 ·
Someone with SA can do any job possible... the problem is starting it.

I work in retail which is probably a SA suffers nightmare but it was almost like I had no choice to take the job (long story)

I was bad, could barely cope with it, but at the time I pushed on. 6 years later and im still there and its not easy at all even after that time.. but im used to it now

#13 ·
I've thrown myself into a customer-facing job, because I think I'd become a recluse if I didn't! When I was unemployed, I pretty much stayed in every day and got nervous if I had to go somewhere new or somewhere I didn't go very often (like to the doctors). Now I work in a supermarket on the delicatessen and the fish and meat counters (wooo!) and I have to talk to strangers constantly. It's not too difficult because I pretty much say the same things to every customer! I've found it's helped a bit with my self confidence and even though I feel very nervous before going to work, I feel better about myself actually being able to do it and achieve something!

#15 ·
Well to start you might want to consider working the night shift anywhere you can. There's much less people and it's more relaxed. I myself am hoping to get in anywhere near my house. Whether it be Meijers, K-marts, Walmarts, anyone of those places. Hey a job's a job, at least to start out with.

The nightshift is key, and most places are really willing because not many people want to work the night shift.

That and I'm a total night person so it works out well. Perhaps that could work for you as well? It's so much more relaxed.

#18 ·
I was a Legal Secretary for a few years. It was mostly just typing and it was in a small office with few people so the anxiety levels were pretty low.

#19 ·
I started working at a gas station. The hardest part about it is getting there, and starting the day for some reason. After I'm there for awhile, I get used to it, and I feel a little better (unless it's a bad day). Talking/developing some type of friendship with the coworkers is one of the harder parts. I'm still working on that. If I worked at a gas station that wasn't in my town, it would be better, because I wouldn't have to talk much to the customers. Everyone knows each other, so that kind of sucks, but if it was some random out of the way place, it would probably be random people coming in mostly and I wouldn't have to be as friendly and talkative.

#21 ·
I have had only jobs that require directly working with other people.

I was a drive-thru person and cashier at Dairy Queen , which was a nightmare, but mostly because of my evil supervisor.

Then I was a nursing assistant at a nursing home working nightshift. I stayed in this job the longest. Working with the patients themselves didn't scare me, although it took me a while to get used to the thought of giving old men baths. Like Dairy Queen my problem was with my coworkers who hated me and tried every way to make me quit ( even said they were trying to do so!)I stayed at the nursing home for almost 2 years.

The worst job however was at Wal mart as a cashier for the Christmas season. That one was so bad I had a panic attack and developed agoraphobia O.O

I'm going to school to be a web designer/programmer. It seems that it will be a job that would be easy on someone with SA.

#22 ·
I worked at this place called rgis inventory, all you do is get a scanner and scan everything in the store with a group of people, you pretty much do your own thing. Bad part is you have to drive to various locations within a 20 min drive. I'd apply for that if there's one around and you don't mind driving.

Right now i have an at home job, as an affiliate, you could research that, you get a percentage of whatever you sell. All you do is advertise, it does take time and effort though. I also have a cleaning business with my friend, that's pretty easy also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.