Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

New Site Upgrade and Look Feedback Thread

216K views 389 replies 106 participants last post by  Memories of Silence 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

We're proud to announce that the new site look and feel has been completed for SocialAnxietySupport.com! Our designers and software engineers have been hard at work on this for several months. It's designed to modernize the site, make it easier to use, and to make it more attractive to new members and guests that visit .

The forum software we use, vBulletin, by default is not designed to be friendly to the eyes or to look modern. We went down to the nuts and bolts of the forum software and templates, and have done a ground up approach. There are several things you will notice now that the new design is live.

1) The site should be significantly faster.

We have applied every modern technique to speed up page load and tested with all modern browsers. We want the forum to be extremely fast and easy to use.

2) The site will work much better in mobile and tablet views

We've started applying responsive design, and have designed and tested against android and iPhone devices, Android tablets, and iPads. If you are sitting at your desk or on your couch, or just on your phone, the site will work much better than it did before, and load fast. We are still working on improving the experience even further in the months to come, but we wanted to launch this as quickly as we could.

3) The homepage is bright, crisp and clean.

We wanted the first page users saw to look beautiful, so that when a new guest arrives and is debating whether to join SocialAnxietySupport.com, they see a beautiful doorway, and they walk right in.

As a forum member you can choose to use the new design (which is on by default) or you can go back to the old design, or a new Dark Theme. We ask that you give it a chance and see if you like it. Like anything new, it will be unfamiliar at first, but we suspect that the speed difference will make you want to use this new one. If you do decide to switch back, the link is at the bottom left of each forum page, you pull down and select the theme called "SAS Forum Legacy or SAS Forum Dark".

4) The side bar can be hidden in your user options.

Click on my profile / user cp at the top right.

- click on edit your details on the left.
- Look for Show Sidebar on Forum Pages under Additional Information.
- Click disable and save.

5) Another new great feature is the @Mention user plugin. You can tag members by simply using the @ symbol.

6) Drag and Drop image uploader

We hope you enjoy it, and if you have any questions on the design, please let us know, feedback is appreciated.

If there are any issues you see. Post them up here and we will get them worked out.

Thanks,
-Your SocialAnxietySupport.com Team

See less See more
#6 ·
I was about to say it looks clunky and ugly as ****. What the hell would I know, though, having been a member for over a decade?

#8 ·
FYI - you have options:

As a forum member you can choose to use the new design (which is on by default) or you can go back to the old design, or a new Dark Theme. We ask that you give it a chance and see if you like it. Like anything new, it will be unfamiliar at first, but we suspect that the speed difference will make you want to use this new one. If you do decide to switch back, the link is at the bottom left of each forum page, you pull down and select the theme called "SAS Forum Legacy or SAS Forum Dark".

Jeff

#9 ·
Is it still possible to ignore threads/forums? I can see that in the user cp the section for it is still there but doesn't seem to be possible to ignore on thread tools.

Is it possible to show the gender of users below the avatar or what is shown is unchangeable?

Edit: Recent discussions still show under new posts.

#16 ·
Is it still possible to ignore threads/forums? I can see that in the user cp the section for it is still there but doesn't seem to be possible to ignore on thread tools.

Is it possible to show the gender of users below the avatar or what is shown is unchangeable?
I think you have to do that in the thread view but here is how you ignore users:
http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/profile.php?do=ignorelist

We can add the post count and gender back if the majority people want it back.

Jeff

This post has been deleted
#23 ·
- Gender & Post Count of posters should show up in threads (links to quotes and mentions might also be kind of interesting, if they don't clog it up too much).

- On profile pages, the spacing of the "Friends" list needs some work. Pic --> http://i.imgur.com/wWtj6YA.jpg

- On profile pages, oversized images in visitor messages should add a scrollbar rather than stretching out behind the rest of the content on the profile. Pic --> http://i.imgur.com/Is199aL.jpg

- On profile pages, get rid of the sidebar and, if possible, let "Threads" and "Quotes" come out from their currently hidden locations. Pic --> http://i.imgur.com/ZGL2BmP.jpg

#26 ·
I like how it's faster. If I choose legacy mode will the website be slower again, or just like now but look like the old one?

#39 ·
In the new version I'd like it if things were aligned centre instead of left. I'd also like a little tab option on recent discussions so it's not displayed, like there currently is in legacy mode but I can't find it in the new version. Although saying that, after clicking the tab in legacy recent discussions are now not displayed at all in the new version (but still no option to re-enable them.)

The bit in the top with 'welcome username' etc is really spread out now and I kind of preferred the format before for that but I guess it's not the end of the world.

#40 ·
Would it be possible to make the post count display optional?

People (particularly newer users) make all kinds of assumptions about posters because of post counts. I've noticed new users seem intimidated by me (and I remember feeling the same way about others when I first joined here).

Also that' recent posts'/advertisement section is still there on the right hand side.

(sorry to whinge. I appreciate all the effort this process must take)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.