Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

I smell from nervous sweating

17K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  6 Speed 
#1 ·
Apparently when I get really nervous, I get hot and sweat. And even if I just showered and applied anti-perspirant, I still end up smelling within an hour or two. I smell worse from anxiety than I do from physical activity. I've tried different soaps and anti-perspirants. Heck, I've tried both men and women's anti-perspirants hoping it would have something to do with the pH. I've tried eating healthy and eating unhealthy and that doesn't make a difference either. This odor makes me very self-concious. I think it's coming from my armpit area, but I can't be certain. What I do know is that men's heavily scented anti-perspirants work the best. Anything that has a baby powder scent makes me smell awful.

Does anyone else have this problem? I'd like to find a solution.

#2 ·
I have the same problem.
I go for the 24 hr one and it does help. Maybe Gold Bond on top of it would work, too. :stu

Paxil makes me sweat, too.

#3 ·
I don't know if I have this problem or not, but I found that the best thing for me was this line that Old spice makes. It's an antiperspirant and deodorant. It's in an off white container, part of their "Fresh Collection". I find that a deodorant still leaves me sweating a lot and I gets smelly anyways, and just the antiperspirant would mean that once it started wearing off near the end of the day I'd get smelly quick. Best of both worlds, lasts all day from what I can see.

#4 ·
Try sodium bicarbonate as a deodorant. Dab it on your underarms after a shower. People usually laugh at me when I tell them that - but it works wonders! Since using it I've never had BO, and it saves a lot of money. Works on feet too :)

#5 ·
Fear-sweat smells much worse than regular sweat; I never found a way to completely mask it. Baking soda works to an extent. I pretty much just bring a spare shirt when I know it's going to be a scary day.

#6 ·
I kind of have this problem too

Im my case, I think (unless my brain is screwing with me) it's coming from my feet although my wife doesn't seem to think so. It's worse when I'm in a stressful situation.

Have you looked at the possibility of it being caused by diet? This may help you
http://healthmeup.com/photogallery-healthy-living/7-foods-that-cause-body-odour/6665

It didn't seem to work much for me (still looking for solution everywhere). Although eating kiwi fruit or juice seems to have eased up the odor a bit.

If the odor is indeed coming from your feet (combination of sweaty feet and your everyday stinky shoes which contain lots of bacteria), you might want to look into reducing sweat production from your feet. There are several products out there but I've had mixed success as well (e.g. those with alum and zinc).

This is a good place to start, but I think it's not enough with extreme cases of sweating (hyperhidrosis)
http://www.ehow.com/how_5126699_reduce-foot-sweat.html#page=0
http://www.stinkyfeetinfo.com/

#8 ·
Nervous sweating used to be a huge problem for me. I feel for you, it's humiliating. I had to wear black shirts all the time ( I already wear black a lot out of preference, so not a big deal ). The sweating just suddenly stopped out of nowhere for some reason though. I hope it doesn't come back.

#9 ·
I have the same problem... Anxiety sweat is horrible. I bring a change of shirt / top.. otherwise felt sticky and uncomfortable all day.. Recently I've heard of some kind of pads you can put in your armpits. sounds kinda strange, who knows might work? I'd like to try the sodium bicarbonate..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.