Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Is it annoying?

• Yes

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • No

Votes: 30 57.7%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 13 25.0%

Do you think it's annoying when someone writes with broken english here on SAS?

2K views 28 replies 28 participants last post by  VirtualNinja 
#1 ·
Do you find it annoying when someone who doesn't talk english as their first language tries to write here?

#23 ·
I've never understood the excuse of English not being one's first language.
Why not? That sounds like a perfect excuse to me.

But to answer the question, I find it annoyting and quite disturbing that many native English speaking indivduals do not know proper English.

#12 ·
I really don't mind. The site should be used by anyone that wants to use it as long as they're not a troll or cause trouble. I think anyone that gets annoyed by something as simple as broken English or language differences needs to chill out and take it easy.

On a side note, does anyone else think it's kind of hot hearing a girl speak in broken English in real life? No? Just me? :um

#14 ·
^ That is right. There is only one forum that I know of, but it is full of trolls and people with "just get over it" attitude. People are not understanding about the concept of SA over here.

To answer the poll, I don't find it annoying at all, since I am not a native speaker myself. I try to keep my posts short, because I am afraid I will embarass myself when I write something in broken english.

#18 ·
The only thing that annoys me, is when people use text speak or what ever you call it and say dis iz 4 u or Iz wuz playin wiv u bro or what ever the lingo is, I don't mind if you make an error in spelling, long as you actually try, trust me I make ton's of errors in my spelling.

Sometimes that's from thinking so much about what I'm typing that I send it before I can go back and edited, after I remember I go back and make the necessary changes.

The people who deliberately misspell words to use Ebonic phrases or some other form of lingo are the people who annoy me, You going to see the dark knight rises before Friday, not u gon see Dark Knight Rises b4.

It's fine on a cell phone or on twitter, I don't have a cell phone or Blackberry but I can understand needing to do it on there but it's when you write like that on here or on facebook that's what annoys me.

#21 ·
I voted sometimes. I don't mind that much, but if it's so horrible that I can't decipher what the heck they're saying, it does annoy me a bit. Can't blame them though. At least they try ( and usually do succeed) at getting their point across which is more then I could ever do in a language other then my own.

#28 ·
Its all about tolerance and acceptance.... I wish everyone on this planet had more of both... I think it's about what people have to say , not just how they say it and whether their post is grammatically correct . Some ppl who post here prob speak more than one language (ie English may not be their first), which I definitely can't (apart from a tiny bit of basic Japanese), so full credit to them, I say. I think 'posting' here at SAS is a great form of expression for all of us (regardless whether others find our comments easy to read), especially when many of our inner thoughts and frustrations would get bottled up otherwise
We all have many things in common, despite our differences:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.