Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

I dont feel like an Adult....do u feel like this????

64K views 185 replies 163 participants last post by  atlanticcity 
#1 ·
I am 22 years old and I for some reason do not feel like I am 22. I look like a grown, mature woman, but inside I feel that I am as young as 12 or 13 years old. I think that may have something to do with the reason why I dont have friends. Because basically most people in their 20s have already had many life experiences (sex, relationships, friends, etc) and I feel like I cannot relate to them at all. I feel like I have not matured like everyone else has, if that makes any sense. I still feel stuck in a teens mindset even though I do not do the things that most teens do nowadays. But its a weird situation to be in. I just feel like socially, I am stuck in a teens mindset. Can someone relate to this????

#177 ·
I feel this way all the time and I am 29. I am also married with 2 kids and I always feel like "wow, I'm a child, what am I doing with 2 kids". I also still get extremely nervous when I go to the beer store and I get so nervous to be ID'd, even though I am clearly of age. Super annoying. Would really like to feel my 'age'.

#182 ·
I have had people younger than me tell me "grow up, you are talking/acting like a kid" >.< But sometimes I feel younger than them because I always look up to people whether they are younger than me or older than me. I am too dependent ;.; even when crossing the road I need a hand to hold me..too afraid to cross alone '.'

#183 ·
I've been criticized my entire life for not being mature so it's something I'm fairly insecure about.

I have plenty of life experience for my age. My hang up is that I'm not emotionally mature enough to deal with life's complexities and demands. I completely shut down and act ridiculous in stressful situations and I can't control how I feel when presented with a lot of emotional stimulation. For that alone I feel like I'm still a teenager.

#184 ·
I'm 19 and I definitely don't feel like an adult. I know I'm just barely an adult, but still, there's some 19 year olds out there who are doing so much more "adult-like" things. I know there's other people who are older than me that feel the same way. I actually talked to my dad about it and he didn't necessarily say that he doesn't feel like an adult, but he doesn't feel like he's 50-something. Age is just a number. Just because a number of years has passed, that doesn't mean we'll feel like different people. Also, not sure if anyone here knows of Shay Carl (he's a youtuber) and he mentioned how he doesn't feel like he's a 34 year old with 5 kids. He feels like he's still a teenager. I think most people feel like this, because it's not like we suddenly turn into adults. I think we remain overall the same person throughout our entire lives, just with new experiences and thoughts. But still, your core will always be pretty much.

#185 ·
Completely. I can't drive, so that sets me apart from everybody my age. I don't live in a place with public transportation so it's definitely not common around here for someone out of high school to be without a license. I feel 12 every time I have to ask for a ride.

#186 ·
This is how I feel. I haven't had any experiences such as relationships, sex, true friendship, traveling, plus I haven't had a job for three years. I just go to university and come home to the same room I spent all my time in as a teenager. I skip a lot of classes at uni and just feel completely lost at this point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.