Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

If I chew klonopin will the effect last as long as if I swallowed it?

94K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  Starcut83 
#1 ·
Hi, Sometimes I get real anxious & have though of chewing it but I just have a limited amount of klonopin for a 1 month use. I take it twice a day. I would like to know if I chew in to get a quick effect of the drug will it effect last as long as if I would swallow it? Thanks

#2 ·
It is better to chew Klonopin or place it under the tongue till it dissolves than swallow it because it is absorbed in the mouth, not in the stomach. If it were absorbed in the stomach, it would never get to its target site (the brain) because the liver would break it down.
Hope this makes some sense?

#4 ·
I know if one chews the medication that it's effect will act quicker than if one swallows it but I have a different opinion on what you said. First of all if your theory was the case, it would clearly state on the direction that klonopin must be chewed or absorb in the mouth & the reason why. second of all, I believe what's important is that the medication is in a constant amount in the bloodstream to act & do it's job.

#7 ·
I doubt it makes any real difference. Benzo pills are 99% filler anyhow, so you end up with a mouthful of a wet chalky substance that you end up swallowing anyhow.

If I'm out and have nothing available to drink I will just chew and swallow a Xanax bar. Xanax doesn't taste good, but I've gotten used to it after doing that hundreds of times. I only chew it when I have nothing around to drink because it's hard to swallow a pill that shape (bar shaped). Little round pills are easy to swallow even without water, but these damn Xanax bars feel like they're stuck in my throat.

#10 ·
Despite the lab coat I'm inexplicably wearing right now, I am not actually a doctor, so this may be wrong, but...

The effect of a drug is felt while it's in your bloodstream (no matter what the injestion method) before it's filtered by your liver, but eventually it goes through your liver, gets broken down by your liver, and *poof* no more drug effects.

Also, wouldn't chewing the pill be really really ****ing disgusting?

#13 ·
I've chewed pills up and it made no difference in how fast it started working or how long it lasted. Some people swear dissolving under you tongue works faster. I can't think of any reason why chewing a pill would affect how long it lasts.

Here's my theory, take a pill and hold it under your tongue (make sure there's a bunch of saliva.) Feel how fast the pill dissolves. This is what starts happening as soon as you swallow the pill.

#14 ·
It will still pass through the liver. However it is true that more is absorbed when dissolved in the mouth than the stomach. Also it will hit the bloodstream faster if absorbed through the mouth rather than swallowed. It's commonly suggested to dissolve xanax under the tongue if you need immediate results. The problem is withstanding the taste. There's no laws against dissolving meds in your mouth but there can be health risks for some though and for some medications it probably doesn't hold true that they are easily absorbed in the mouth. It would be best to check with your doctor on each medication.

#19 ·
I swallowed my clonazepam at 11:30 am. at around 2 pm i had a huge anxiety attack convulsively crying hard where i didn't realize snot was out of my nose until it drooped over my mouth.

did it not work?? should i take another pill but place it under my tongue? the doctor recommended that i take one a day... but i don't know if i messed that up by swallowing it..

Also... what time of the day should i take it? I commute to school and i have college final terms coming up. I can't risk getting tired or fatigued while on these meds..

please someone help me, i'm scared :(

#25 ·
I swallowed my clonazepam at 11:30 am. at around 2 pm i had a huge anxiety attack convulsively crying hard where i didn't realize snot was out of my nose until it drooped over my mouth.

did it not work?? should i take another pill but place it under my tongue? the doctor recommended that i take one a day... but i don't know if i messed that up by swallowing it..

Also... what time of the day should i take it? I commute to school and i have college final terms coming up. I can't risk getting tired or fatigued while on these meds..

please someone help me, i'm scared :(
What dose are you taking?....0.50mg?? That's what my doc prescribed me and it's not working either. I've been taking double doses. It helps a little. Try taking more. As long as you're not taking any narcotic pain killers or Ambien, you'll be fine. They make clonazepam up to either 4 or 8 mg. Can't remember. Better check the net on that one :). But yeah, anyway, if I still feel anxious, I take more. Sometimes I'll take 4-6 of the 0.50 strength to calm me down, then when I see my doc next, I'll have her increase my dose, as should you. That's my 2 cents. Good luck brotha. I know first hand how terrifying panic attacks can be. Some people, who haven't truly had one, can never understand the level of complete disability it causes.

~PeacE-N-LovE~

#21 ·
It's like Thomas Paine said, sublingual will create a bigger peak that drops off faster as well, while swallowing it will create a smaller peak that lasts longer (call it more time released). So it's true that sublingual will have a more immediate effect, however, it will be out of your system faster as well.

#30 ·
I know this is an old thread but for anyone wondering Klonopin is not fast acting like Xanax...whether you chew it or not and it does work when swollowed but not chewed...Klonopin is more used for anxiety long term management, Xanax is fast acting and more for panic attacks and when needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.